Vic speeding fine - don't give a stuff ?

He lost his English licence for all sorts of reasons (obviously).

But his international licence was still intact. So, at least at that stage, he could drive anywhere else but England.

I have an international license here in Korea, but right on the license in the terms it states it's only valid while the Australian one is valid. So it's automatically void if the Aussie one is.

Your authority to drive in QLD on a valid VIC driver licence is withdrawn 3 months after taking up residency.
This I didn't know, don't tell anyone, my wife still driving on a VIC licence.
Hoffy, terrance & anyone else, how's QLD treating you (if you moved to QLD), any regret ? This will be my fourth last big move, the next one may be to a beach side when I retire, then the next will be to a nursing home. Don't really want to think about the ultimate move :D

If you lose your license due to accumulation of demerit points, that is a lot more than a few lapses of concentration.

For the most part, I agree. I do think it's possible to lose your license for a one-off lapse in a sadly common scenario in my part of the world, though:

1. Roadworks scheduled over the holidays. A 40 or 60kph roadworks area is set out in a 110kph zone.

2. On the public holidays themselves, or at night, no actual work is undertaken.

3. Unsuspecting driver drives to conditions but doesn't notice the signs, which are still in force although they bear no relationship to what's going on.

4. Driver is picked up at 45kph+ over the limit, on a double demerits period.

Sadly, I recently heard of a cab driver picked up and suspended in exactly that combination of curcumstances. Isn't it hard enough to get a cab (or make a living, for that matter) as it is?

Your authority to drive in QLD on a valid VIC driver licence is withdrawn 3 months after taking up residency.

Which reminds me of a dilemma I had when I moved temporarily to the ACT.

Canberra Connect asked me if I was moving permanently to the Territory. I said no - it was a one year move. They refused me a license, saying you had to move permanently to the ACT.

The RTA wouldn't change my address to an address outside NSW and wouldn't let me keep the license if I lived out of state. I asked them what I was supposed to do when it wasn't a permanent move and I couldn't get a local license to replace it, and was instructed to "nudge nudge, wink wink" give a NSW relative's address. We didn't have one.

Finally, I went back to Canberra Connect and lied that it was a permanent move. No matter what we did, we had to lie to someone, and we figured it was better to lie in a way that used our real address and would make sure we got any renewals or tickets.

Sometimes state independence sucks.

Reason why i say this Jaycee, is not because i'm a bad driver, it's because i have 4 demerits to last me 2 years! :eek:

If i stuff up twice i've lost my licence..

Sorry haven't finished reading the other posts yet, i thought i'd explain my reasoning..

When I moved from WA to ACT I got a few fines in the ACT while still on my
WA license which I payed but didn't get any of the demerrit points.

After I transferred my license to the ACT I still got my WA license renewal in the post, I did the right thing and didn't renew it although it would have been interesting to get 2 drivers licenses.

A true story.

In 1983 I was heading to QLD to play on their golf circuit, and had no plans of ever returning to Melb.

In effect; I had no address anymore.

I was driving through Elmore, and was pulled over for doing 87 in a 60 zone from memory. Sounds bad, but it was two lanes each way, and no buildings nearby or traffic, or pedestrians, so it was easy to creep up. He had the radar on me.

The cop fined me, and said I'd need to go to court in Melbourne, or was it Bendigo? Care.

I replied that "I was heading interstate - probably indefinitely, and would not be able to make the court hearing, and had no address to send the fine to, so could he please give me an "on the spot" and I'd pay that?"

I was happy to do that

"No". He was being a very unreasonable gentleman.

So, off I go, shaking my head at his pigheadedness and stupidity, and now some 25 odd years later I still haven't paid it.

My council will track you to the end of the earth for a parking fine. It is of no interest to them how much the "collection" costs are.

I do have nice memories of SA a (big) lot of years ago though. They said "Don't do it again" for both a speeding and parking fine because of my interstate plates. Quite civilised, I thought, especially for a newlywed who was stoney broke.

But only last month a Qld cop gave me a 10kph "discount" saving me a few dollars.

a speed camera guy got hit by a car last weekend here in Perth. I wonder if the statisticians will have the gall to include this as a road toll number?

If you have a heart attack at the wheel and roll off into the dirt you are classed as a road toll victim. gees what a coincidence... I just went to google WA road toll to map the road toll over the years vs population and lo and behold here is the top entry...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...l-rises-to-seven/story-e6frg13u-1225813918281

"THE WA holiday road toll stands at eight after police included the death of an 85-year-old woman who is believed to have suffered a heart attack while driving her car. "

Surely any "margin" you are allowed will depend on the mood of the copper at the time, his sargeant on the day and the state treasurer that week. I would never take anything for granted.

I have done hundreds of thous of ks of country driving over the limit and I have found mobile radar cops don't bother doing a U turn to catch you up unless you are >10 k over. No way would I be as confident of the margin on speed cameras. Driving the motorways around the cities would give me the creeps.

to be fair tho, this attitude comes down from the top levels of govt (sadly as a justification for revenue raising). It doesn't matter if you drive an old bomb and act like an idiot... focus intently on the speed limit and if you don't nudge over by 1km then you will be safe and sound. Let the needle drift above by 1km and death awaits you.

Back