Victorian bushfire images - Morwell, Gisborne, Craigieburn, Riddell's Creek

I knew someone who died in the Black Saturday fires personally, Tula. He lived in the Gisborne bush area. He came back to let all his rescue animals loose from his farm, then came back again to get his dogs and that's when the fire got him and the house. It was 5 days before anyone knew that he wasn't alive. Sad but true. Living in the bush is so beautiful but can have a terrible price....

Yesterday was scary
Things are not over here in Morwell
still fires burning and the sky is teaming with helicopters and fire bombing aircrafts

So, so scary. We were stuck (with our 4 kids in the car) on the Hume. We have a property in Kilmore and one in Lancefield. The firefighters are absolute heroes.

I've got clients and friends in all of these areas, I hope they're okay.

My Dad's a primary producer, as such I've worked on farms in areas effected by bushfires. The photos and footage you see does nothing to describe what it's really like being in front of one of a bushfire. Heat, smoke, noise and general confusion, all long before you see the flames. Fighting a bushfire are probably the most terrifying memories I have. Cleaning up afterwards are probably my most sorrowful memories.

Hi All

I live in the middle of it and yes it is scary. We are all very fretful.

My neighbours are both crew captains as one worked all day in the station and then all night on a truck in mop up for Gisbourne. At the height, Gisbourne Fire has 120 trucks there.

Another friend is a Council Ranger and see worked till midnight yesterday coordinating the horse rescues (she is horse person) and reallocation to safe properties. This morning she has a rifle and is shooing those livestock too far gone. Thankfully no horses but too many sheep and cattle.

Worst of all, it is clear to blind freddie, these fires have been deliberately lit. Police are cooming debris now for clues.

FYI Peter 14.7

Resident of Riddells Creek who lost everything

From The AGE, a resident of Riddells Creek who has lost everything tells his story

3:56pm: Riddell's Creek resident told reporter Nick Toscano he counts himself lucky despite losing his home to bushfire:

A white shirt, pants and a tie - the clothes on his back - are all David Malaspina has left after his new home north-west of the city was reduced to blackened brickwork.
Mr Malaspina and his wife of one year lost their house and possessions in Sunday's fire - their clothes, furniture, jewellery, wedding certificate and prized wine collection.
"There's nothing to come home to" he said.
But the 33-year-old owner of CBD restaurant Spaghetti Tree says "someone was looking down" on him that day, because he usually doesn't open for Sunday lunch.
A gesture to let a regular customer celebrate a birthday, was the only reason he and his wife were not home when the fire tore through.
"The customer rang up later and was really apologetic but, to be honest, I would have been home if I wasn't there".
Mr Malaspina got into his car and left the city at 7.30pm, after hearing about the fire's worsening ferocity.
When he was driving past Sunbury, he saw the black and thought the worst.
His house was one of several destroyed by an unstoppable grass fire on Sunday, as strong winds forced flames through residential areas around Riddells Creek and Gisborne South.
"We are just gutted, but really glad no one was home, and no one was injured," he said.
"Bricks and mortar can be rebuilt ... and the plan is to rebuild".
Mr Malaspina, who moved to Riddells Creek from Kew last spring, said neighbours in his new community have been "wonderful".
"Even people I have never met before are asking 'Can I help you with anything' They have given us clothes and the local police officer calls in and checks on us".
"I'm wearing borrowed clothes, we've got no booze, no furniture apart from one chair, everything's gone ... but we've still go our chins up," he said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/v...ary-10-2014-20140210-32agh.html#ixzz2stPVPxfK

Back