Viewing Only New Posts

Sim

Have read FAQ but no luck ......

After marking posts read in a previous forum session, what is the simplest method to view only new postings?

I have used the "new postings" button, but this tabularises the entire thread for any unread post. Also, clicking the icon "last post" only partially helps as there may be several unread posts since my previous visit and I need to scroll to where I left off last time.

I thought the "new posts" was pretty slick on the old forum , but unsure as to streamlining the process here.

Thanks
Joe D:confused:

Yes, WebBoard had some reasonable (at least consistent) ways of managing read messages. Even worked when you logged in from a different computer, which was nice.

Unfortunately, these very features were among the reasons that we started having so much trouble with performance and reliability. These feature were simply too database intensive.

The new forum is rather simplistic in it's management of read messages. It simply looks at the last time you logged in to the forum and displays all the new posts since then.

You seem to have worked this out already though. I'm not really sure I can make any more suggestions beyond what you have already tried. I rely pretty heavily on the times on the posts to work out where I was up to.

I know it's not as nice as the old forum, but the performance and reliability should well and truely make up for it.

Originally posted by Sim
The new forum is rather simplistic in it's management of read messages. It simply looks at the last time you logged in to the forum and displays all the new posts since then.

Does this same thing happen when I 'refresh' a page or 'mark forum as read' because I'm getting a bit confused? Like you I try to keep track iof dates and times. I tend to check out anything dated from the previous evening but I was re-reading a thread from the middle of the yesterday and found posts I hadn't seen before. I've also used the 'new unread post' arrows and been taken far beyond the last post I read on the thread. Refreshing the page also seems to mess things up and often I will switch to a different forum and it everything will be marked a read even though it will be just posted today.

Any ideas on how to better manage this so I am not re-reading loads of stuff? How about the 'susscribe' feature? Does this do anything?

Hi

Well done everyone! Great Stuff!!! :D

I have been playing catch up with all the new forums/threads/messages etc. - Gee I luv this FORUM(S)!!!

I finally caught on to how to find the New Posts, or so I thought. I have been logged in since last night and last night I had not even contemplated reading "Help and Feedback" or the "Coffee Lounge" - being all bleary eyed! So that meant that they should still be 'unread' when I come back. (?!?!?)

However, I refreshed everything this morning (I love broadband!) and all messages older than 24hrs has been marked as 'read', including "Help and Feedback" and the "Coffee Lounge", even though I haven't looked at them.

Should I log off if I'm going to be away from my PC for a prolonged period of time?

I'm concerned I'll miss my 'fix' and have the DT's!!!! :eek:

Back