Villa development problems

Hi all,

My next door neighbour built 2 villas a few years back and I have recently been looking into doing something similar (2x3bed villas). After some initial number crunching suggesting a nice profit, i've started to research my council DCP. Unfortunately the VERY FIRST control measure states the following:

"i. If an urban housing development, villas, duplex building, multi dwelling housing
(attached) or dual occupancy (attached) building has been erected, or is
permitted by a development consent, on an allotment with a frontage to a
street or road within the R2 Low Density Residential zone, then Council will not
consent to a dual occupancy (attached) being erected on another allotment with
a frontage to that same street or road and in the same street block, unless the
two allotments are separated by a distance of at least:

twice the distance of the frontage to the street of the existing or approved villa,
multi dwelling housing, duplex, urban housing, dual occupancy (attached)
development, or

twice the distance of the frontage to the street of the proposed villa,
duplex, urban housing, multi dwelling housing, dual occupancy (attached)
development; whichever is the greater distance.
"

How strict are council DCP's? Do you think this means game over already?

Would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
Eza

Contact the town planning section of the council and ask. They are the ones who will be handling any application so best to find out their thinking before spending any money.
Marg

That was my first thought too but I thought Ryde had a restriction of 20m between two developments (a standard block being 15.24m, so 2 houses separation).

Might be time to engage a town planner if there is any hope of it getting up.

Yep, Ryde Council. I spoke to a town planner and they currently have a draft LEP with the Department of Planning, that if passed will remove this particular control (linear separation). However, the new LEP will also restrict dual occupancy developments to allotments which have a minimum street frontage of 20m. That new control unfortunately rules out my place, as it has only around 15m of street frontage.

20m seems a bit overkill in my opinion, especially with duplex's that are in a straight line and not side by side.

Subdividing might still be an option as the block is quite deep, so I will look into that next.

Thanks for the responses everyone,

Eza

Hi Eza
I wondered how you proceeded?
I've heard Ryde council is not duplex under 20m frontage and enforcing the rule without exception.
P

Back