Vindictive Owners' Corporation

I bought my first apartment over 2 years ago. It was an unbelievable bargain - a totally dilapidated studio that had previously been used as a drug dealing premises in Kings Cross. I saw potential - beautiful, well kept old building, fantastic location, and a ceiling over 3m high. I put everything into it - designed a renovation that transformed the place, and worked with the builder.

The Owners' Corp knew I was renovating, and waited till it was finished and I moved in to tell me that had not, and would not give permission for the renovation. Over 6 months they literally harrassed the council building compliance investigator to get an Order to Restore. Even though everything was compliant, safe and legal, they refused to sign a Building Certificate. Eventually, though, the council passed it for me with their overriding powers. However, it was an incredibly stressful time for me because I faced bankruptcy and an apartment that would be rubble and not habitable.

On the day I moved in. I was confronted by an older woman and her adult son, both on the Owners' Corporation, who told me:

1. Nothing I asked permission for would be granted
2. I had no right to make a "palace" out of the tiniest, cheapest unit in the building, because apparently I had paid too little for it... ?
3. They would "get me out"
4. They would make me sorry I ever bought into the building.

The woman was actually screaming this at me, and I got spat on in her fury. I had not provoked this outbust.

Things got bad. Levy notices were withheld from me for over 6 months, in spite of my asking for them. The notice finally arrived, with the addition of an unexpected special levy for painting the building. It took numerous emails, and payment details were only given on the afternoon of the AGM, effectively barring my participation.

The building project was a mess, and because of inadequate initial assessments required a total of 3 calls for special levies. The initial quote of $400,000 became 1.5 million. The final amount was more than I could afford, but I was made aware that any application for terms would be rejected.

From the day I moved in I've been bullied and harrassed relentlessly with vexatious complaints, abuse, neglect of security for 9 months (I'm on the ground floor and accessible from the back lanes of King's Cross, and my iron security grille rusted and fell off), attempted forced entry by the chairman of the Owners' corp (10am Sunday morning), ignoring correspondence etc. Three of my windows were broken by the painters. They are still broken. My floor was flooded and damaged when an external pipe burst after the painters knocked it.

It's a pet friendly building, but they keep insisting I get rid of my female indoor cat. My pet is important to me, and I still have her.

I've now been through the courts, unrepresented, and have huge legal bills even though they were never given an order for costs. I have been prepared to sell my little place to pay the levies, but have been hammered by the lawyers.

I am not the first person to have been treated this way here. Previous owners have sold up and left. The place has been called "toxic". Unfortunately, I don't have the option now just to sell up and get another place. I couldn't get another mortgage, or even a rental, in my current circumstances.

When I moved in I was happy, confident, self employed with a good business and with a fantastic export opportunity in front of me. I now have nothing. I developed severe clinical depression, went onto benefits for the first time in my life, and face a future that is so bleak I can't even begin to know how to face it. I'm not a weak person, nor a victim, and have no idea how this has crept up on me. Depression and constant anxiety in the face of unrelenting bullying just wears you down bit by bit. My weight dropped from 56kgs to 42kgs during this time. If you don't know what real depression feels like, you can't imagine the actual pain that you feel with it. Mental and physical. It doesn't go away.

Solution - I have found a cash buyer for the value of my mortgage plus the levy and legal fees. The property itself now is worth heaps more, and I wish the best for my buyer. For me there is nothing more. I will not recover from depression, and can't live with this pain and blackness. I can't start again as I have nowhere to go. The gap is the most compelling option in front of me.

I hope that my story may have some good in highlighting the fact that there are cases where Owners' Corporation Committees abuse the power they have. Bullying and victimisation are not tolerated in the workplace or in schools, and are legislated against if occurring on the basis of gender, race, religion and other targeted minorities. Unfortunately, there is no protection from bullying in the home (and a home is meant to be a sanctuary from the world) by a malicious group that has power over an apartment and the residents.

Maybe, and hopefully, this will change in the future.

Cate, Your post is very disturbing. It is terrible what you have been through and I would encourage you to seek some help from the salvos or even beyond blue. If you were confident before you can be again. To achieve what you already have takes amazing strength and courage. It is ok to mourn the loss of this project and feel sad about it, but find someone to talk to so that you can start taking some steps to get on your feet again. Even if they are little steps.

I hope that you do look for help and everything comes good for you.

Hi Cate2010,

that sounds terrible. By the way what country is the older woman originally from? I have seen a bit of this hard mentality amongst people from certain countries (when living/owning a property in inner Sydney). You need to be very careful working with these people...and they need to be informed of what is going on.

Why can't you sell it for what it is worth? Move out (even stay with parents until sale proceeds come through if this is possible) and list it for sale with a real estate agent.

Also heard of something like this (though not as bad) in a large block in Coogee. Owners Corporation run by a husband and wife. Husband did all gardening and lawn mowing for the unit block and charged large fees to body corporate. They harrassed a single parent with 2 kids on the ground floor-they would look in windows at all hours. When she had boyfriend stay they would call her names. The husband would rifle through her rubbish and body corporate would complain about the slightest thing (such as bicycles in unit and risk of oil leaking on carpet in common areas). The unit owner eventually sold.

When I moved in I was happy, confident, self employed with a good business and with a fantastic export opportunity in front of me. I now have nothing. I developed severe clinical depression, went onto benefits for the first time in my life, and face a future that is so bleak I can't even begin to know how to face it. I'm not a weak person, nor a victim, and have no idea how this has crept up on me. Depression and constant anxiety in the face of unrelenting bullying just wears you down bit by bit. My weight dropped from 56kgs to 42kgs during this time. If you don't know what real depression feels like, you can't imagine the actual pain that you feel with it. Mental and physical. It doesn't go away.

Solution - I have found a cash buyer for the value of my mortgage plus the levy and legal fees. The property itself now is worth heaps more, and I wish the best for my buyer. For me there is nothing more. I will not recover from depression, and can't live with this pain and blackness. I can't start again as I have nowhere to go. The gap is the most compelling option in front of me.

Maybe, and hopefully, this will change in the future.

My goodness Cate, it sounds like you really have been through a really terrible time. Please hang on to the hope that change will happen in the future. Depression doesn't have to be a life sentence. You DO NOT have to live with the pain and blackness of depression for the rest of your life, it can be treated very successfully (this I know from personal experience). I do hope you are seeing a Dr to begin the road to recovery. As you improve I am sure you will also find a way out of your current situation. You are obviously an intelligent, motivated person. Don't let this experience ruin or direct your life. Get help and move forward, easier said than done i know, but it can be done...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nadia

This post is very disturbing - it's because the baddies seem to have won, and because we think that we live in a fair country it's troubling when things turn out which are not fair.

Thank you for the heads up on what can go wrong with owners' corporations, and all the best for a strong recovery from this traumatic experience.

Hi Cate

My name is Giselle I am craigb's wife. I too have been where you are and am now on the other side. To feel like an empty shell and that nothing is worth living for. I remember wathcing the news and seeing a car accident in which people had been killed and turning to Craig and saying I wish that was me. It has been nearly two years now but I have weathered the storm. I guess what I am trying to say here is if you want to talk we are here. Please Cate if you read this contact us, I will pm you our contact details.

Cate, if you are depressed, the worst place in Australia for you to be living is Kings Cross. I lived down Elizabeth Bay Rd for years and didn't realize how repressive and dark the X is until when visiting home and the Sunshine Coast. The contrast was palpable.

The place is toxic, and attracts the worst of mankind.....and I wonder what mindstate you were in when you chose to move there.

Try to look upon what has happened as life signifying your nature is too sensitive, too aspirational, to fit in with those magnetically drawn to the X, and coarse enough to endure it.

Life is nudging you to rise up to a higher station in life......more often than not, when you boldly take the first few steps out of a dark place, very quickly, life brings the people and resources to help you cross the bridge.

Cate
What has happened to you is horrible and its a pity the story could not be published in the interest of others.
I just read this [below] this morning and l hope it can give you a bit of a boost too.:)

Dwell on the past.

Think about all that has happened, all that you know now cannot change.

Rue and regret it..

There its easy isn,t it?

Now turn you attention to tomorrow.

Feel inspired and excited.

Then stride forward with confidence.

Your faith really wont be misplaced.

Your vision is not empty.

Your battle is not unwinnable.

What matters not is where you have come to, but where you are going next.

Good luck Cate.
I hope you can move on fast.
cheers
yadreamin

You will have a happy home. Somewhere that will be a sanctuary. A nice nest you feel glad to come home to.

If you did sell I hope you made a profit. It will help you get something else. For you and your kitty friend.

It is a shame that people in the building made it impossible for you to stay. And you shouldn't have to come home to a block where you are worried about who you will pass in the hallway. Home should be a haven.

I hope you are feeling on the up and up.

Hang in there!

i hope Cate logs back in to see all the wellwishing.

i'm a bit vindictive myself, i enjoy the thought of using semtex in light sockets to solve my problems but hey, buying that stuff attracts attention "these days".....joking of course, because it solves nothing.

the mind can handle many stresses - except from behind friendly lines. your brain is not designed to cope with self assaulting harm and i think it's pretty clear for your post that it's also 100% unjustified.

vindictive is the right word for these people. it's very clear fromt he outset they were enraged by the price you paid and it appears good old fashioned ljealousy hit home. it's easy for me sitting here behind a keyboard to tell you to move on, but unfortunately, i'm going to.

you were targeted.
you were harrassed.
you were treated indignantly.
you are not to blame for other people's actions.
you are responsible for your own wellbeing.

it's very clear you don't have a victim mentality. you can't let that dark dog consume you. if you do, there's no turning back.

Since Cate hasn't returned to see these messages, what are people's thoughts on what could have been done in the first place?

A relative in Sydney is looking for an apt to buy now and this has been rather alarming reading about the power of an owner's corporation.

As part of the DD in the first place, would this kind of trouble have been predicted by reading the owner's corporation meeting notes? If they wilfully disregard the regulations about issuing levy notices, then they can probably write up meeting reports any way they feel like, so how would you find out the truth before you buy into the building?

Yes, I have been back to this forum and seen the posts. The practical comments and kind wishes have been sincerely appreciated. For the three people who PMd me, I'd just like to say that your thoughts and sensitivity have touched me more than anything has for a long time. I didn't think I had any capacity left in me to feel connected in any way. Thank you for taking the time to send me your notes. You are special people.

Technically, the only issue of any relevance to this forum is the misuse of power by an Owners' Corporation. Situations like these do happen, and can have flow on affects in a range of ways that can affect the desirability, and consequently, the value of a building with a strata scheme. This is not a biggie, but still something for investors to keep in mind. For potential owner occupiers it's much more significant. It can impact on not just how you may plan to value add to your property but also includes the reality of living under a dictatorship held by entrenched controllers who still operate as if the building was under company title.

There are two other issues that are more of human interest, and some forum members or people they know may be interested in these things. The first is the particular form of depression triggered by events/circumstances, and often referred to as psychiatric injury. Prolonged exposure can produce very real symptoms such as post traumatic stress syndrome.

The second issue is that of bullying/victimisation/harrassment, and how it can happen in areas in which an individual has no legal protection or recourse, nor even vilification that it has happened at all because it's just not recognised in our society.

The two issues of pyschiatric injury and bullying are related. We know this because of workplace legislation and the more recent media focus on school and cyber bullying.

Anyway, enough of this waffle for a bit - I just wanted to pop back and say thanks, and that I've spend my time trying to put the emotional angst in a compartment for a bit, and try to gather a few brain cells together to take another look at the situation. I don't have balls, well, not being a bloke as such, but I'm prepared to strap on a couple and have another go at this.

Blue Card, I like the semtex in light sockets approach! Ha! I've always been more of a "rearrange their kneecaps" sort of person, but that's soooo last week. And, well, it just seems to lack class and impact.

WinstonWolfe, I appreciated your point of view, and thanks for your positive suggestions, but I think you missed some of the information I put in my first post. It's not really that simple. Clinical depression isn't the same as being depressed.

Kings Cross as a locailty? I love it! Forget the recent "Underbelly" sensationalist TV - the Cross is a place you have to live in, not above, to appreciate. It's a small region of incredible diversity - the have's and have-not's mix together in an area that is like no other in Australia. There's the best and the worst of people, places and situations here, and it's a place that if you want to be a part of a community and make a difference, you can.

If I get through the next day, and the days following, and the weeks, I'll come back to the forum and tell you all more about it. I know the area backwards. For property investors here I can possibly give insights into where to put the dollars, who the buyers and renters are, why they come here, why there is zero vacancy and how people get away with simply writing whatever rent tickets they want for their properties.

Personally, that's not the appeal of having a place in the area though. But then again, I'm not an investor. We define our lives in different ways. For me it has been achievement in the past as an end to a means - gaining just enough financial independence to focus on things that I feel passionate about contributing to.

Oh dear, I feel like I've been grandstanding. Oops. Not intended. I need to get some rest, stop snivelling over my poor little cat, and get those balls strapped on.

And, thanks people. I found this forum by accident, and am glad I came across it now.

Best of luck with it all Cate.

Just from the change in attitude from post 1 to post 2 tells me you'll get through this.

Sometimes, it is just best to move on and not (as hard as it may be) dwell on the past (and in writing this, I realise it is easier sadi than done).

Move forward... baby steps.

Regards
Marty

what are people's thoughts on what could have been done in the first place?

Purchased a green title, instead of a strata title.

This is but one of the reasons why Australians always pay a handsome premium for the higher class of title.

Sounds like the control expectations going into the acquisition of the strata title were not realistic given the described circumstances.

I don't wish to make comment on any of the resulting emotional stuff.

Since Cate hasn't returned to see these messages, what are people's thoughts on what could have been done in the first place?

A relative in Sydney is looking for an apt to buy now and this has been rather alarming reading about the power of an owner's corporation.

As part of the DD in the first place, would this kind of trouble have been predicted by reading the owner's corporation meeting notes? If they wilfully disregard the regulations about issuing levy notices, then they can probably write up meeting reports any way they feel like, so how would you find out the truth before you buy into the building?

I feel for you Cate but I don't understand how this was perpetrated without the strata managers cooperation (unless it was self managed).

Anyway I am interested in others comments in regard to steps that can be followed to disarm those who would want to dominate a strata.

Cheers

Back