vinyl timber much cheaper than laminate. can it be used in rooms?

I need to replace carpet on my 2nd floor (bedrooms and stairs) and have been looking for laminate flooring. This is for my ppor which will become an ip in a couple of years.

Today i saw vinyl timber and looks good as well and much cheaper -about half the price- Any issues with using this instead of laminate? Is it durable? Is there something i should be aware of? Can it be used for stairs? Tenant friendly (durable)?

Are you referring to the vinyl planks? If so, they are tougher than rolled vinyl, easier and cheaper to lay than timber planks and are water resistant.

I have no idea how you would lay them on stairs. I don't know how you would finish off the stair nosing without looking ugly. Interesting to hear if others have.

I just laid the vinyl planks in an IP. Everywhere except bedrooms, toilet and bathroom. They are fine for a laundry.

This is what I purchased http://http://www.masters.com.au/product/900008696/novalis-redgum-click-vinyl-planks

It looks fantastic, but time will tell regarding durability.

We have put these in our PPOR and are VERY happy with the look, maintenance and comfort. Quieter and warmer underfoot than laminate or tiles. Very easy to clean if you use a protective polyurethane coating (we forgot to include the coating on one room and noticed the difference so went back and coated). Yes waterproof! We have dogs, kids, usual spills and not at all afraid of sloshing a bucket of water around.

Plus can go right to the wall with no need for quarter round.

As for stairs, you'd have to have some kind of strip on the edges. One idea might be to use the vinyl on the riser and something else such as a matching timber or contrasting tile with rounded edge on the tread.

Shell, we did ours 4 years ago and they still look good, we had some deep gouges after moving furniture a bit carelessly and filled them with wood putty. We got an extra pack to use for replacement but haven't needed to use any yet.

thanks guys.. I didn't know the stairs were so tricky. It almost doubles the quotes I've received. I think this is going to be a deciding factor..

Back