virgin mobile

basically they use optus stuff so probably slightly worse than optus
i used there internet sticks for a while until they stopped the ability to download torrents
it was pretty good before that though

also depends on your area whether its congested etc, where your going to use it etc etc

who are you currently with?

i used there internet sticks for a while until they stopped the ability to download torrents
it was pretty good before that though

also depends on your area whether its congested etc, where your going to use it etc etc

who are you currently with?

1) whats a torrent
2) with three at the moment

i am currently using tpg mobile. There are more included call value in their plan $550 to other carriers and unlimited calls to tpg mobiles and home phones and 1.5GB internet and the calls are slightly cheaper than the virgin plan you are looking at and it only costs $17.99 per month(even cheaper if you have tpg as your home phone). We have 4 current phones on this plan and it seems to work well for us.
Another carrier to consider if you make lots of calls is amaysim which has an unlimited option for only $39.99 per month. Both use the optus network.

Their call rates seem very expensive and you only get 250MB of data, which is very low if you are planning on using a smartphone with it.

I've just changed to Woolworths Mobile, and they use Optus as well. For $29 they give you $500 of credit ($250 with Optus only, then $250 to other networks), plus 5GB of data, which is much better.

A torrent is basically a shared file that is divided into several smaller files to make it easier for the end user to download (as you can download several of the parts at once).

http://woolworthsmobile.com.au/

Last edited:
thanks for that - i have had a badd experience with tpg before, they kept ringing up my father pressuring him to say YES to a new deal over the phone. i actually answered as him one day. it ended up with a complaint

i would upload the links to the websites but i don't know how to link them. Sorry.

Just select the link from the address bar, press Control+C, then come back to this page where you want to paste the link and press Control+V. That will paste it in. It will become a link once you press Submit reply.

Their call rates seem very expensive and you only get 250MB of data, which is very low if you are planning on using a smartphone with it.I've just changed to Woolworths Mobile, and they use Optus as well. For $29 they give you $500 of credit ($250 with Optus only, then $250 to other networks), plus 5GB of data, which is much better.

A torrent is basically a shared file that is divided into several smaller files to make it easier for the end user to download (as you can download several of the parts at once).

i actually thought they were good compared to vodaphone etc, must keep looking, woolworths sounds ok, might look at that.
i was wrong, must of been another plan/carrier which was 20c per minute + no flagfall

Last edited:

If its a really good deal then go for it but you should know that.

The coverage in metro areas is ok but their customer service is hopeless.
We travelled overseas and they didn't want to enable roaming till we paid a security deposit (although they had a direct debit authority)
Then I wanted to disconnect the data so I called them up and they said it will be done but they never did it. I think their call centre is in Philipinnes.
When I complained they gave me a credit.
The only reason I went with them is for the smartphone deal they had at the time.

I also didn't like their call charges when we were overseas.
we had data dissabled and the phones turned off but we still ended up paying a lot more than the monthly plan. go figure....

Anyway, when the contract runs out I'll see what's available.

I've had Virgin Mobile for years now- they are very good. My husband and I both have a $29 cap, decent phones and we get free calls to each other (and to other people on Virgin). No complaints from me!

i was also thinking about going to woolworths $29 when my $59 cap runs out now that i have the smart phone albeit its almost due for an update now lol

also make sure they use the same mhz towers as your 3 phone uses if your keeping your phone the main ones are 850mhz (telstra and some vodaphone), 900mhz(optus) , 2100mhz (all mainly metro) but there is also 1800mhz

easily the best deal from the info you provided is TPG,

$29.99 per month, get $1000 worth of calls, no contract, and 3gb of data,

you can use the $1000 on international as well

alternatively, if you feel $1000 is not enough, you can pay an extra $5 with Amaysim, and get unlimited phone calls, an insane amount of SMS, and data, and start calling everyone until you get cancer

My partner and I have a mobile each on Virgin Pre-paid. Up till now would usually only contact each other, so we both used the long expiry cap at $50 each. Only recharged twice each over a bit over two years. 1 year expiry and 5 cents a minute calls. There is some new mix and match sort of cap where I have one year and no charge to her now, but I'll be moving to a plan soon.

Coverage-wise, I'm in metro so seems to be much of muchness, as previously mentioned its essentially Optus so meh.

Back