Visitor statistics for January 2013

Sim

Administrator
Just thought I'd share some visitor statistics from last month - shows some interesting changes in how people access the site.

Operating System - Windows still dominant, but surprisingly, iOS now replaces MacOS as the #2 operating system.

Windows had 70% share in Jan 2012 while iOS didn't even feature in the list. MacOS has dropped about 1%

attachment.php

Browser - I find this one fascinating. In January 2012, Internet Explorer still had a clear lead with nearly 38% of the visits, followed by Safari on 22%, Firefox on 21% and Chrome on 14%.

Now Safari has the lead, despite the clear dominance of Windows - possibly a combination of more people using Safari on Windows (surprising), as well as mobile Apple devices reporting their OS as Safari I expect.

Not surprising that Firefox has dropped so much, but I though Chrome would have increased more. If Chrome was the default browser on Android (surprised it is not), then I think it's overall usage would be higher, including on Windows.

attachment.php

Mobile - this caught me by surprise. Nearly 31% of visits in January were on a mobile device or tablet ... then again, with the rise of so many good quality tablets providing a much more usable experience than smartphones, I guess it should be expected.

January 2012 saw only 17% of visits using a mobile device or tablet, January 2011 was only 7%. I think we can say that 2012 ended up being the year of the mobile device, a trend I expect will only continue in 2013.

attachment.php

Mobile Devices - Apple iPhone and iPad continue their dominance, although interestingly, iPhone is down from January 2012 when it had 46% share, and iPad is only slightly up from 36%.

The big winner in growth is "Other"! While the Galaxy S2 and S3 are still the preferred alternatives, they haven't increased their overall share anywhere near as much as all the other devices that aren't in the top 10 ... in 2012 94.5% of visits were from the top 10 devices, but in January 2013, the others are now up to 10.3% ... which indicates to me a significant depth to the mobile device marketplace, with a lot of fragmentation still amongst the non-Apple market segment.

That being said, I counted 33 Samsung devices in the top 100 and 18 HTC devices, with no other device brand having more than 8 devices listed in the top 100. That does kind of fit with what I've been reading in the tech media about the popular devices - Samsung dominating the Android market with HTC trailing and nobody else even in the same ball park. I see very few non-Android devices in the list.

attachment.php

Attachments

• somersoft-os.png
    somersoft-os.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 632
  • somersoft-browser.png
    somersoft-browser.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 649
  • somersoft-mobile.png
    somersoft-mobile.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 571
  • somersoft-device.png
    somersoft-device.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 583
Interesting stats!

I was going to say "who the hell still uses Internet Explorer" and then I realised that many workplaces are still using IE default -explains why there has been such a high number of hits from that (crappy) browser.

Thanks for the stats, very interesting.

Operating System - Windows still dominant, but surprisingly, iOS now replaces MacOS as the #2 operating system.
Somewhat ironic that some BB investors here blame complaints of housing affordability on Gen X/Y buying gadgets while browsing the site with the very same :D

I would be interested to see statistics on purchases of flat-screen TVs and whether the boom has tapered off now that just about everyone has one.

I think the new boom is in tablet computers and high-end smartphones. Flat screen TVs are so 2011 :rolleyes:

Some more stats - posts per week over the past year ... note that we're still coming out of the Christmas holidays slump, hence the low average at the moment.

attachment.php

Attachments

• somersoft-posts.png
    somersoft-posts.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 526
Interesting.

One thing I really noted was that in a month there is the best part of 200,000 visits. With an average of about 8,500 posts in a month. So we post only about 5% of the time we visit.

It either means a lot of us are looking, reading and have nothing benificial to add (so stay silent) - or that there are a lot of lurkers (tax man seeking out who is looking for dodgy ways to avoid him) (which would also add weight to the windows dominance :D)

Careful - big brother is watching :p

Blacky

Sim

Out of curiosity do you gain any income from this site?

Im not looking for numbers but I imagine that maintaining this site would take a fair bit of work, and must cost you something other than time to maintain? Just wondering if you gain financially from it, or you just receive the intrinsic benefit of keeping all us mugs happy?

Blacky

Hey sim, an interesting graph would be one that shows the visits to this place over tge last 10 years, i have noticed that sone times since i have been here it has been really busy like it seems to be now with properties producing good yields but around 2009 post GFC is was a lot slower.

But that's when the doom & gloomers came from the woods.

Love to know the ratio of D&G to +tive posts...:D

Hahah yeah true.

I remember there wasnt a lot of talk of people buying property but the D&G crowd were coming up with all sorts of stories like property prices being halved and the All Ords falling to 250 points based on what they were seeing in their tea leaves.

Wish I had the balls to buy some blue chip shares early 2009, would have cleaned up by now! CBA share price today is $67. I remember seeing it at around $30 when the **** hit the fan!

It either means a lot of us are looking, reading and have nothing benificial to add (so stay silent) - or that there are a lot of lurkers

There have always been a lot of people who browse the forums but are not members. We get a lot of search engine traffic - people reading the forums after following a link in Google search results.

You just need to look at the member/guest statistics at the bottom of the forum home page - typically only 20% of the people on the site at any one time are logged in members, the rest are guests just reading but not contributing.

Sim

Out of curiosity do you gain any income from this site?

Im not looking for numbers but I imagine that maintaining this site would take a fair bit of work, and must cost you something other than time to maintain? Just wondering if you gain financially from it, or you just receive the intrinsic benefit of keeping all us mugs happy?

I don't own the site - I run it on behalf of Jan and Ian Somers.

The site does not make any money - Jan and Ian have deliberately kept it non-commerical, they see it as their way of giving back to the community and helping to educate others after their own success with property investing.

I do get paid a little (out of Jan and Ian's pockets) to help cover costs for hosting and running the site, but it doesn't really cover much of my time beyond keeping the servers running.

And yes, it does take a lot of work to keep the site running - looking after software upgrades and backups and keeping the servers tuned and performing well, dealing with spam and trying to prevent spam-bots from being able to post so the moderators don't get flooded with spam to clean up, technical support for forgotten passwords and people who have trouble logging in and posting, and of course the occasional legal threat from someone who didn't like what was being posted. Then of course there is the moderation - but we have an excellent team of volunteers who do most of the work there.

It is something I enjoy doing and I have received a lot of personal benefit from my association with the site - both professionally and from an investment point of view through people I've met and things I have learned.

Galaxy Tab is only 324? I thought I visited more times than that :D

Are these unique visitors stats?

It shows unique visits. A visit is a measure of "sessions", where a session begins when you first access the site on a particular day and ends after you have been idle (ie no new traffic to the site) for more than 30 minutes, or at midnight (so a session which crosses midnight is counted as two visits I believe).

The stats I showed only cover the month of January 2013, so in 31 days, if you were the only person with a Galaxy Tab, then you would have had to visit more than 10 times a day, with each visit more than 30 minutes apart, in order to generate those 324 visits.

Hey sim, an interesting graph would be one that shows the visits to this place over tge last 10 years, i have noticed that sone times since i have been here it has been really busy like it seems to be now with properties producing good yields but around 2009 post GFC is was a lot slower.

Difficult to show visits - that information is only tracked via Google Analytics and I only have data from about 2009. It's not terribly interesting - although visits were quite a bit lower in 2009 and have increased steadily since then.

I can do post volume though - that is a better indication of forum activity even though it doesn't reflect non-member visitors.

Below is a chart showing monthly posts made on the forum since 2001.

You can see post volume peaked during 2008 (during the extended GFC) and then as interest in investing and general nervousness took hold, volume has tapered off a little in years since. I expect this trend to reverse (upwards) the next time we have a property boom.

Also note that December is always a much more quiet month each year - post volume drops significantly in the last 2 weeks over Christmas, so there is a dip every 12 months.

attachment.php

Interestingly, the post volume doesn't directly translate to the overall traffic volume on the site or to the number of unique visitors the site gets, both of which have been trending up over recent years.

Attachments

• somersoft-posts.png
    somersoft-posts.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 457
Hi Sim

Interesting stats elsewhere also, apparently..

Visitors to the site are mainly from

• Australia 65.10%
  • India 25.30%
  • America 1.80%
  • Other 7.80%

City

• Parramatta 8.40%
  • Springfield 4.40%
  • Sydney 15.60%
  • Melbourne 6.80%
  • Brisbane 3.90%
  • Chandigarh ?

Daily Visitors 3,574-3,908

Rank in Australia 1,040

The servers in Kddi Corporation, Chiba-ken, Iso, Japan :confused:

Hi Sim

Interesting stats elsewhere also, apparently..

Curious where you got this info from - it's highly inaccurate. They are basically guessing.

Visitors to the site are mainly from

• Australia 65.10%
  • India 25.30%
  • America 1.80%
  • Other 7.80%

More like 90% Australia, 3% US, 2% UK, everyone else < 1%.

City

• Parramatta 8.40%
  • Springfield 4.40%
  • Sydney 15.60%
  • Melbourne 6.80%
  • Brisbane 3.90%
  • Chandigarh ?

Sydney 33%, Melbourne 27%, Brisbane 14%, Perth 12% Adelaide 6%

Daily Visitors 3,574-3,908

Nope - it's a lot higher than that.

Rank in Australia 1,040

No idea how they calculate that. My guess would be that the site is somewhat lower in ranking, it's a busy site, but not that busy ... I'd be surprised if there were only 1,000 or so sites in Australia busier than Somersoft.

The servers in Kddi Corporation, Chiba-ken, Iso, Japan :confused:

Yup, the site is now hosted out of Tokyo, Japan. Latency between Australia and Japan is significantly lower than between Australia and the US, so the site is more responsive than it would be if hosted in the US.

Back