Volunteer Manager

Looking to get more information on volunteer managers and their responsibilities. A have a landed property in a block of 4. There is no official owners corporation just one lady acting as the secretary and volunteer manager. No AGM, no notice of increase of fees.

I asked her for the owners corporation certificates and she says 2 months. WTF?

I managed a property with this set up once, it all ran smoothly for a number of years but when there were some major plumbing issues which all fell into common property the whole arrangement fell apart. I found myself co-ordinating with all owners to get the work done and also get a body corporate in place! It was also always very hard to get your hands on any paperwork, all invoices were hand written etc. etc. Not quite structured enough for my comfort!

This was a block of at least 12 units though! I would perhaps consider approaching the other owners about getting an owners corporation in place just to keep things a little more structured and documented!

I have been managing a block of 6 for the past few years. We have twice yearly meetings, minutes, etc., I have done the GST return annually.

We have had major work done over the last two years, including major plumbing issues. We voted on it at the meeting, I drew up invoices for the levy and we went ahead. We got 3 quotes for all the work and circulated to all owners.

The only problem we now have is I have resigned and no one else wants to take over. It is a lot of work to do it properly, so we are now in the market for appointing a BC Manager at an annual cost of $2500. The owners who do absolutely nothing are now the ones complaining about the cost of the BC Manager.

Chris

Reactions: Sez
i just got a written note saying "shove your legal $%^" from the volunteer manager.

As i have never dealt with volunteer managers, this is 1s time for me.

I have been managing a block of 6 for the past few years. We have twice yearly meetings, minutes, etc., I have done the GST return annually.

We have had major work done over the last two years, including major plumbing issues. We voted on it at the meeting, I drew up invoices for the levy and we went ahead. We got 3 quotes for all the work and circulated to all owners.

The only problem we now have is I have resigned and no one else wants to take over. It is a lot of work to do it properly, so we are now in the market for appointing a BC Manager at an annual cost of $2500. The owners who do absolutely nothing are now the ones complaining about the cost of the BC Manager.

Chris

Good luck trying to find someone to do it for only $2,500

We have a quote from a recommended company for $2500. We asked around and found people who use this company and told us they are good.

I don't care...I just want out!!!!!!!

Chris

We have a quote from a recommended company for $2500. We asked around and found people who use this company and told us they are good.

I don't care...I just want out!!!!!!!

Chris

If you can get someone to do it for $2,500, then that's a good deal I think....seems like a lot of work for that money.

As you are likely to be associated with this BC member for quite some time to come, and will need to co-operate on BC decisions (unless you or she sells up), it might be prudent to approach the volunteer manager again and try to get some dialogue going, rather than bringing in the heavy hitters too soon.

Also, have you tried to contact other members of the BC (ie other owners) to find out their thoughts on the current arrangements? They are probably delighted that some poor sod other than themselves is willing to take on the thankless job of managing the BC, free of charge! :rolleyes:

Currently - not talking face to face after she wrote some abusive notes and left it in my letterbox. if you see the content - it had racial and abusive elements in it which is uncalled for.

no AGM minutes, no notification on fees, no dispute resolution process etc.

Anyway - will be selling the place so not too concerned.

Back