Volunteering

TE
I did some volunteer work for Good Sammys, but I did not last long with this group because they continually gave me the sh.t jobs that they did not want to deal with, unfortunately I guess this can happen.

I am certainly not going to do volunteer work if I don't enjoy it, no point to this.

MTR:)

im a big animal fan, in fact I have mentioned the rspca in my will,

im happy to do the crappy jobs, as long as im not used as the scapegoat

and of course, wouldnt be doing it if I didnt love animals :)

I did work experience in a vet, and had to clean out kitty litters and food trays, wasnt the most pleasant job but I enjoyed it, pity I wasnt smart enough to get into Vet Science

Truly Exotic, look at it this way - dead wood costs money.

Yep.

In the Organic Food Co-Op I did a lot of the pricing of products (allowing for GST and a modest mark-up - it is a NFP, not a "make-a-loss" organisation).

Seen some real clangers done by the other volunteers - a few cents here and there is ok, but the worse was one item had a cost price (ex freight) of about $20 and someone had put a retail price of $12 on it.

I am involved with both the local Fishing club and Surf club. Have made some great friends from both and have learnt a great deal about the Ocean.

Creating & managing the website for an African charity the last 8 years, don't mind doing it, meet different African people and the social fund raisers are usually fun.

my time is valuable, as is every one else paid or unpaid,
I'm sure it is, all the more reason that they have screening processes that ensure you're right for the job and the job is right for you.

I have no idea, but maybe the RSPCAs requirements are over the top. But I'm sure their processes have been built up over many years of experience 'managing' volunteers.

I doubt they would have so man strict guidelines if no one was volunteering

No doubt. So like any situation it's just supply and demand. If no one 'suitable' is applying for a paid job I advertise then I have to settle for less or pay more. Volunteering is no different. The RSPCA would be a very in demand org for volunteers, so they can afford to picky.

Personally, I think any organisation should be grateful of any volunteers, useful or not

Rubbish. Why would any organisation want a volunteer that is not useful?

Volunteer

Hiya
I run a play group for mums with kids (40 all up)every week ; it's my fourth year now:D

It's a great day to start the week ; I get to hold babies and then to hand them back when I am tired; I sing songs ; do lots of craft; tell stories (I'm a great storyteller:p ), I wash up the morning tea, I sweep the floor, I lock the place up....it's fun!

Why do I do it? Because someone did it for me and my kids too years ago;)

I used to volunteer for Lifeline (I'm welfare trained) and also Meals on Wheels. I have also taken elderly people on outings in the community bus (I have a bus licence).
I also volunteered 2 days a week at CAPS (child abuse protection service) but that was very difficult. I would have taken kids home if thry lrt me. It was then I went to uni to become a teacher.

I have done volunteer teaching in Bali.

A few years ago I redponded to a sign in my area asking for volunteers but as I worked full time they weren't interested. I thought i could do something on weekends or after 3.30pm weekdays. Oh well I tried.
I've also enquirer about volunteering overseas but lots charge thousands of dollars for their course and many have a religious requirement. I'm not religious, just want to help others and willing to do it for no pay. I'm willing to support myself while doing it.

My goal now that I'm part time was to find something suitable but I've spent the last 6 months catching up on things I haven't had time to do.

I'm sure I'll find something soon though. I'd like to work with underprivileged kids and families if possible.

I've also enquirer about volunteering overseas but lots charge thousands of dollars for their course and many have a religious requirement. I'm not religious, just want to help others and willing to do it for no pay. I'm willing to support myself while doing it.
Check out workaway.info - places around the world where you can get food and accommodation in exchange for several hours of work a day. It seems good on the face of it.

Got busy tonight.

So this afternoon I got a call from an old fella who was curious about what sort of airplane flew over his house. Figured another quiet day on the radio at marine rescue.

Then I get a call from a sinking vessel about 11 nautical miles offshore, have to coordinate marine rescue, water police and a rescue chopper.

Is dusk and the helo asks the skipper his intentions. Abandon ship? Skipper says not yet. Helo says we are low on fuel and cannot do night winching operations. I am relaying all this as the helo can't talk to the sinking boat directly underneath.

So time to get into the water and winched out. Kudos to Westpac 2. We get it sorted. Water Police get to scene but vessel has sunk. Good call to abandon ship during daylight hours.

Was kinda hectic but glad all ended well.

I've got compassion fatigue. From about 13 I was a chronic volunteer - bad home life so anything to get out of the house. Up until about 30 I was always doing stuff for everyone and as my interests changed so did the volunteer work - at 13 was mostly dog walking at local pound and collecting money for charity or kids version of Rotary (Interact). Uni was AIESEC - helped get students jobs in Australia from other places, usually disadvantaged. Then stand up comedy workshops for women, social groups for women and then kids blah blah. Had some clangers in my time - was working at a radio station for print handicapped and some of the blind volunteers had a go at me for not being straight and how society wasted money on the gays. Yeah, like we aren't spending money on your braille trails and guide dogs ha ha.

Anyway I burned out and having a kid decided to put myself first and thus got into my boarding house business of making money for us and a good childhood for kiddo. I have to watch myself not going stupid overboard for guests and getting involved in their dramas and helping too much or the burn out feeling returns.

I hope one day I can go back to some volunteer work and feel good about it. I mostly just roll my eyes at how badly some of these things are run now and how much they waste and I get frustrated with "dead wood" vollies. Kiddo starts school next year so I might test the waters with helping out there. I'd like to find my compassion again.

My children and I have often volunteered feeding the homeless on a Friday evening. For many years a little old lady, who is now about 80, has been collecting food from cafes and restaurants in our area and handing it out to the homeless on a Friday night.

I hope one day I can go back to some volunteer work and feel good about it. I mostly just roll my eyes at how badly some of these things are run now and how much they waste and I get frustrated with "dead wood" vollies. Kiddo starts school next year so I might test the waters with helping out there. I'd like to find my compassion again.

This is actually why many go and start up their own NFPO/NGO for a cause they strongly believe in. It's also what stops donations etc because people fear it is being wasted.

The Y-man

Unfortunately not much time between renovating and working a stressful job.
We do regularly foster animals, mostly cats/kittens as we are currently living in a unit complex.
Oh and proving free IT support for the whole extended family, but this has no community benefit.
Would love to open a shelter one day, have to keep buying properties to achieve that dream.

Yes I think you are right Y-Man - when I am ready to volunteer again it will be for something I am in charge of and can fund I think. Actually I'm not quite as burned out as I thought - been thinking that since hitting Tamworth I've started a playgroup and a gals group lol. And I do have some Kiva projects I give to. Anyway this thread has made me think what I can do to help - I just offered free rooms at my guesthouse for a wedding party next week who are doing a rush wedding for someone dying of cancer. That kind of thing is easy for me to do - happy to throw a bit of money to my staff for extra room cleaning etc but doesn't involve me getting directly involved. And even just teaching my son to give older clothes and toys to charity at least is starting to help him understand other people aren't so fortunate as us.

Edited - just saw that we have a Somersoft Kiva team. Joined it and will see what I can do!

Oh and proving free IT support for the whole extended family, but this has no community benefit.

I just offered free rooms at my guesthouse

Just be careful about freebies too - not saying this will be so in your cases, but human beings have a funny habit of not valuing things that are given to them for free.

It's funny but people feel they get more "value" paying a fraction of the perceived market price, than getting it for free. Doesn't have to be money either - could be in exchange for something - particularly if it is something they have in abundance.

So for example if the people you are doing a freebie for has a lemon tree (apparently a world shortage according to another thread) you migtht ask for some lemons.

The Y-man

Back