Vote

I've found most people work out quite quickly who they want to send their vote towards when they explore their views on life. There are very clear distinctions with the parties.

i'd say pretty much the biggest distinction between two parties is their campaign colors.
other differences are much harder to spot :D

I did the vote compass, I was 57% labor, 52% green, 50% liberal.

So not much difference between my preference for Lib or Labor policy. There are some Labor policies I strongly diagree with, and some Lib policies I strongly disagree with.

But for me the clincher was the fact that after I voted Lib last election they closed down a really good public school in my area. After that there was no way I was voting for them again this election. Plus I've met the local Labor guy in my area and he seemed alright.

I'll still probably vote Lib federally, but this state election I voted Labor. Mainly for reasons to do with my local area. Plus instead of asset sales I would prefer to see the gst raised and have the gst apply to everything. Neither government will probably have the balls to do that though.

I would prefer to see the gst raised and have the gst apply to everything. Neither government will probably have the balls to do that though.

This is a pet peeve of mine at both parties and at both state and federal level. Govt not having balls - they do what gets them votes rather than having the courage to do the things that'd actually improve the country.

I did the vote compass, I was 57% labor, 52% green, 50% liberal.

So not much difference between my preference for Lib or Labor policy. There are some Labor policies I strongly diagree with, and some Lib policies I strongly disagree with.

But for me the clincher was the fact that after I voted Lib last election they closed down a really good public school in my area. After that there was no way I was voting for them again this election. Plus I've met the local Labor guy in my area and he seemed alright.

I'll still probably vote Lib federally, but this state election I voted Labor. Mainly for reasons to do with my local area. Plus instead of asset sales I would prefer to see the gst raised and have the gst apply to everything. Neither government will probably have the balls to do that though.

Do you know what the difference is between asset sales and asset leasing?

LNP are leasing off assets, not selling them if you bother to read the policy. Labor did the great selloff in the Goss/Beatie/Bligh era.

pinkboy

This is a pet peeve of mine at both parties and at both state and federal level. Govt not having balls - they do what gets them votes rather than having the courage to do the things that'd actually improve the country.

Pauline Hanson....she had the balls (but not the nous) to say what the majority of the country was thinking.. Until the heavy weights saw she was a threat and rail roaded her.

LNP are leasing off assets, not selling them if you bother to read the policy. Labor did the great selloff in the Goss/Beatie/Bligh era.

pinkboy

The average public doesn't know the difference either. Labor has them convinced that leasing and selling is the same thing. We must be the only demographic who thinks that owning assets like huge tracts of land with big buildings on them (ie a port) and leasing them to someone else to maintain is a good idea.

The average public doesn't know the difference either. Labor has them convinced that leasing and selling is the same thing. We must be the only demographic who thinks that owning assets like huge tracts of land with big buildings on them (ie a port) and leasing them to someone else to maintain is a good idea.

Yes, Labor have played that one nicely, preying on the uninformed and uneducated. I had to contain myself standing at a polling booth for 4hrs today and behave myself, but I did have a few little digs when there was no crowd. Was the perfect real life trolling session! :D

Cant get infraction points in the real world though, hey Sim? ;)

pinkboy

You should ask yourself why you have no interest in forming your own opinion on who should be making the rules that dictate your life, and spend 30%+ of your income.

I concur with Kerry Packers statement that sums up exactly what people should be doing in relation to providing the Govt 30%+ of their incomes.

Starts at the 4:46 mark.

Haven't been impressed by LNP in their first term but think they should get another term to clean up the mess. Our local LNP member in Barron River is likely to lose his seat.

pinkboy

Curiously, in 2010 Tim Nichols the now treasurer said that asset leases were "as good as selling the farm". It seems to be a common theme for politicians these days to have 2 sets of principles, one set for when they're in opposition and another set for when they're in government.

pinkboy

Thank you for the invitation to a useless argument. However at this time I am going to have to decline.

Yours insincerely.

Tim

Don't blame the pollies D.T., blame the people that vote for them. All pollies do is tell people what they want to hear. Based on the discussion on SS, y'all fall for it all, hook line and sinker.

Look at the diversity of the forum, mate. You've got nutjob 'Men are to blame for everything that has ever gone wrong, ever' female supremacists on the Left and you've got 'Muslims are to blame for everything that has ever gone wrong, ever' anti-immigration bigoted nutjobs on the Right, with every POV imaginable sloshing around in the middle.

As much as people around here like to swan around with a hoighty toighty "we're investors, therefore we're better and smarter than everyone else" mentality, we're actually a pretty accurate portrayal of society as a whole.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Winston Churchill

I find it amazing that there are still people supporting Labor's lies after they made Australia sink with that huge 20+ billion deficit. Ahem Victoria.

Liberals are trying to fix the deficit, and of course Australians will have to tighten their belts and make some sacrifices.

Those voting for Labor is like a man deep in credit card debt, but refusing to tighten their belt and now going back to his old big spending ways.

If Labor has no idea how to fix the economy and budget, give Liberal a few years. This is a big hole we're trying to fix. Labour created the hole from 2007-2013, we should give Liberals the same number of years, or double that, to fix it.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...-on-election-eve/story-fnjwnhzf-1227203023322

check this out. Pro-Labor news portal attacks nightclub for supporting Liberals. I think the nightclub owner is free to send his messages of support to whoever they like, but this media attack by new com au on the business is really a new low. The title of the article trying to sabotage the business because of the owner's political view? How do they know the nightclub could go empty just because of a few Pro-Labor customers making noise and being petty?

I find it amazing that there are still people supporting Labor's lies after they made Australia sink with that huge 20+ billion deficit. Ahem Victoria.

Liberals are trying to fix the deficit, and of course Australians will have to tighten their belts and make some sacrifices.

Those voting for Labor is like a man deep in credit card debt, but refusing to tighten their belt and now going back to his old big spending ways.

If Labor has no idea how to fix the economy and budget, give Liberal a few years. This is a big hole we're trying to fix. Labour created the hole from 2007-2013, we should give Liberals the same number of years, or double that, to fix it.

Howard and Costello cut a whole lot more than what Abbott/Hockey attempted in their first budget, yet the poll numbers for Howard went up significantly after budget night in '96.
Perhaps the problem federally is some people have stopped supporting the Libs because they don't like the approach/process/decision making by the current federal government.

On a slightly related topic, it's worth noting that the more recent opinion polls are showing both parties with a primary vote below 40%.

Howard and Costello cut a whole lot more than what Abbott/Hockey attempted in their first budget, yet the poll numbers for Howard went up significantly after budget night in '96.

Yes I remember in 1996 when I was in Uni, there were many student protests about uni funding and fees.

Back