VW amarok or grand cherokee

Hey all,

Looking at purchasing one of the two vehicles in the heading. I understand they are two different kinds of vehicles.

What I am after is whether you would pick one over the other.

We are looking for a daily drive but also something we can take to Cape York.

We are looking at the amarok highline and the grand cherokee laredo.

Both are around the same price.

Interested in your reviews

After having two amaroks in our fleet in the last month strip the teeth on the cambelt destroying the engine i wouldnt buy one. One @10000km and one at 25000km

Stick with a landcruiser i say :D

Cheers

After having two amaroks in our fleet in the last month strip the teeth on the cambelt destroying the engine i wouldnt buy one. One @10000km and one at 25000km

Stick with a landcruiser i say :D

Cheers

Are those cover by warranty because I was looking at the Amarok as well?

Are those cover by warranty because I was looking at the Amarok as well?

Yes covered under warranty but your looking 6 weeks plus to get it back. More than 150km from home and youll get a hire car during that time and towed to nearest dealer but you'd want to check your agreement on purchase.

Also i should mention this is i think 6 or 7 of them we have had do the same thing. One of them did the replacement engine in less than 5000km.

This is dusty pilbra conditions, but still expected much more from them.

Cheers

If your going anywhere into the backblocks of Australia you need to own what all the locals own, as that's what all the mechanics will know how to fix and have parts for. Remote Australia runs on diesel 4 wheel drive Toyotas. Just get a hilux or landcruiser for goodness sake!

See ya's.

We have Hiluxs and V8 Landcruisers at work and just due to the shear cost of repairs to the cruisers I would be hesitant to own one now days.

Stick with a secondhand turbo six cylinder for repairs in the bush.

We have done 3 engines in the Landcruisers due to dust getting past the filters and not much change out of $30k for install a refurbished engine.

New engine quote from Toyota was $38k!

Hilux's have had very few problems.

Mind you any of the new common rail diesel I think you would have trouble getting repairs in the remote bush if it was anything fuel related and they all run on computers now days.

Oh and if you want something for a daily driver a Prado would be a better choice.

Same engine as a Hilux but much better ride etc.

Broken down jeep grand cherokee's are getting to be a common sight in sydney.

Where my business partner gets his BT50 serviced, 2 grand cherokee's arrived on a tilt truck and driver commented half his workload is picking up broken down ones for warranty

I wouldn't touch either.

We have had amaroks on one site they were unreliable buckets of crap.

Every time I see that I've just brought a jeep add I cringe.

You'll be spending alot more time at jeep getting it repaired.

Ford Ranger and bt 50 also crap.

Hilux or landcruiser if your planning trips and want to get there without visiting every dealer along the way.

James

I've got a six month old Rok. Great town/work ute, never taken it off-road though. I'd have a two seater ute, but I've got to hall the kids! The trendline can carry over 1000kg in the tray which I'm told is better for tax purposes, not sure how that works.

Most cars now seem to have fixed price servicing, the Rok is a bit more than some of the other though. Aahh the joy of car shopping.

I'm surprised by everyone's response against the Amarok. It looks like a strong car, European too... So, go back to the tried and test Hilux?

I'm surprised by everyone's response against the Amarok. It looks like a strong car, European too... So, go back to the tried and test Hilux?

The Amarok is a highly tuned (ie highly stressed) 2 litre. The Toyota is a conservatively tuned (ie low stressed) 3 litre.

And that's just the engine.

Personally I don't know why people excited about european cars. They're generally much less reliable than their japanese and korean counterparts, especially as they age.

Personally I don't know why people excited about european cars. They're generally much less reliable than their japanese and korean counterparts, especially as they age.
There is a high level of demographic influence in the choice - this site has the right demographic - from my observation.

Plus, there is the Joneses to keep up with. ;)

Just to fill in; we see a load of Landcruisers, some Jeeps, BT50's Rangers and the like through our workshop...

Around town; whatever you like.

Cape York; needs the Landcruiser, for mine.

Back