WA - construction techniques will have to change.

I remember when we moved into our Italian built home in the 60s after having lived in asbestos or weatherboard up till then. It was heaven for us as a family of 7 even though it only had 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.

When I went to build my current PPOR I built brick and iron roof (roof mandated by council). I really wanted to be as solar passive as possible but it was a real struggle to get this concept across to the builder at the time.

One thing I learnt was that I have hollow core bricks. This has made a big difference as far as noise transfer goes. Not sure how it effects heating/cooling.

I use aircon about 4 months of hear for heating and cooling. If I had got the extra size eves I wanted I could get that down to less.

Currently I am looking at things like solar pergolas to compensate but I have such a small outside area I am not sure this is the way to go.

I totally understand the differences between states. I have lived in 4 and have also lived in the northwest. You could be in different countries as far as climate is concerned, so I agree, one size does not fit all.

Double glazing is thankfully becoming more common and therefore more affordable. 6 star minimum energy efficiency is a step in the right direction. The next part is to utilise roof space temperatures more (when they are completely insulated with anticon and ceilings) and minimise the use of bricks (I think they still have a place, namely internal walls of higher end building).

Reverse veneer is my preferred way of construction, and I also like skillion roof lines with raking internal ceilings and electronic louvres over high windows at the ceiling line to help get rid of hot WA air build up.

Long way to go. Perhaps I will target the green living market when I am ready to put my registration to good use...

On average what's the additional build cost for a skilion roof and raked ceilings for a 3x2?

Also how do you get A/C ducts on a raked roof and do you need larger unit to heat/cool the extra internal space?

On average what's the additional build cost for a skilion roof and raked ceilings for a 3x2?

Also how do you get A/C ducts on a raked roof and do you need larger unit to heat/cool the extra internal space?

Cost - Depends. Around $15m2 for the actual roof. Raking ceilings it depends on a lot of factors. I wouldn't do it on dog box 3x2's more for the higher spec building.

A/C - Not really an issue. Clever use of bulkheads and such get the job done. Maybe put raking in main areas and master suite, flat in other areas and the ducts can run through these areas with wall penetrations to raking ceilings etc.

Back