WA Granny Flat

Has anyone in Perth looked into quotes for granny flats? I have had one for brick for $135,000. :eek: I think my preference is for alternative materials to make the most of the floor space.

Interested to build a granny flat, but didn't get any quote. Once one of the granny flat builders mentioned $140,000 for a 70sqm GF inclusive of approvals etc, but that is not even brick.

Interested to know more about the quote you got.

the cost of construction is a deal killer for me. I keep hearing $140k, friends built a nice one for that money... they did framed as their house was an old framed house so they built it to match.for them it wasn't about economics as they just needed a place for the nanny and they had run out of room inside. The returns don't excite me but I would be very interested to cost it up on the basis of owner builder.

Interested to build a granny flat, but didn't get any quote. Once one of the granny flat builders mentioned $140,000 for a 70sqm GF inclusive of approvals etc, but that is not even brick.

Interested to know more about the quote you got.
PM your email and I'll forward the quote.

the cost of construction is a deal killer for me. I keep hearing $140k, friends built a nice one for that money... they did framed as their house was an old framed house so they built it to match.for them it wasn't about economics as they just needed a place for the nanny and they had run out of room inside. The returns don't excite me but I would be very interested to cost it up on the basis of owner builder.
The price doesn't excite me either, their has to be better options available.

Will post links to some alternatives I've seen

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beac...oods/stolen-coverted-sea-container/1074873672

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west...-foot-high-cube-shipping-container/1076820683

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west.../prefabricated-modular-granny-flat/1074223179

Last edited:
My property isn't far from this property in link that recently sold. My property is currently 795sqm with the existing house built sideways along the left hand side. I can build a street front granny flat now and when proposed zoning changes can subdivide. I will possibly sell the existing 3 bed home and keep the granny flat/2 bed house. It's good to see the 2 bed home could be sellable also. My Property is currently about $50/wk negative (fixed for one more year) and I've already got the finance to build granny flat so in my case I think it would be worth building something decent. There's a few calculations to consider like devaluing the land, delays in proposed rezoning if I don't build but overall I think it will be quite profitable to build now and earn a small income from it. https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bayswater-119765207

How far away is the rezoning? Personally if not far away I think you're doing yourself a disservice building a granny flat there instead of either selling the excess land or building a 3x2 of 4x2 on it (no idea how big you're talking) the cost to build a 3x2 isn't all that much higher than a granny flat and the resale prices would be a fair but higher imo

PM your email and I'll forward the quote.

Thanks INVSTOR.

How far away is the rezoning? Personally if not far away I think you're doing yourself a disservice building a granny flat there instead of either selling the excess land or building a 3x2 of 4x2 on it (no idea how big you're talking) the cost to build a 3x2 isn't all that much higher than a granny flat and the resale prices would be a fair but higher imo

If possible, a 4x2 can be designed and only a 2x1 70sqm part of that can be built. Later after the rezoning, can be extended. Well if the rezoning is really going to happen, this could be a costly option. But if rezoning is quite far away or not too sure, could work...

Thanks INVSTOR.

If possible, a 4x2 can be designed and only a 2x1 70sqm part of that can be built. Later after the rezoning, can be extended. Well if the rezoning is really going to happen, this could be a costly option. But if rezoning is quite far away or not too sure, could work...

how does this work... I wouldn't have thought you could occupy a building that is only half built according to the plans?

So has anyone in wa done it with success? Plenty of stories in here from the nsw crowd, what about Perth folk?

Im in a similar position with an IP in kewdale which is due for zoning review in a couple of years but Im keen to get a GF going now. I got DA about 2 weeks ago for a 100m2 granny flat but once you consider carport/alfrescos the total roof area is 195m2. Plan is to build a 3 x 1 now and later down track alter one of the under roof alfrescos into a master suite, which will make the floor plan a 135m2, 4x2. Im looking at framed construction so the re-work later is easier.

Would be interested in seeing who your quote was from if your happy to share. Also happy to share quotes once I get em.

Yes - from what I can see there isn't much difference in price between a granny flat and decent home which is a huge turnoff.

It is Town of Bassendean. I purchased nearly two years ago. I have heard before I purchased it was close to being rezoned and heard again 6 months ago it was two years off but read some negative press lately that Bassendean's rezoning is always '2 yrs off being rezoned' and very slow to up zone and from past experience I do agree. I would like to be wrong.
I think I could achieve 2 x approx 395sqm blocks which is a decent size these days!! The downside is - the block isn't flat. Where the granny flat would fit is flat. The existing grey driveway in picture is steep for Perth. So I think if I built a decent house on it I would probably have to go split level anyway which would be a higher cost than your standard 3 bed or 4bed x 2 bathroom.

Not half built. You plan a 2x1 which can be extended into an 4x2 without much hassle when the subdivision occurs.
One thought I've had is to build high and add a mezzanine floor later since granny flat is max 70sqm based on floor space. Build 2 bed with second toilet now, add 2nd lounge, 3 rd bed later. Build a decent double garage in front of granny flat after rezoning. I know extensions can cost as much as rebuilding so I have to consider this.
Because once I sub-divide it will be around 395sqm and not 450sqm which is the min. Size for a house with granny flat that is not a consideration.
Pics attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 81
Im in a similar position with an IP in kewdale which is due for zoning review in a couple of years but Im keen to get a GF going now. I got DA about 2 weeks ago for a 100m2 granny flat but once you consider carport/alfrescos the total roof area is 195m2. Plan is to build a 3 x 1 now and later down track alter one of the under roof alfrescos into a master suite, which will make the floor plan a 135m2, 4x2. Im looking at framed construction so the re-work later is easier.

Would be interested in seeing who your quote was from if your happy to share. Also happy to share quotes once I get em.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll forward it. I'm sure we can join forces here and negotiate a decent discount. ;)

Another not-so- good pic from my phone while my laptop is being repaired as usual. No survey as yet! (I do have an old survey from previous extension) So it's a funny shape block but if my guessing is correct I can have a narrow driveway of around 5 meters with a wider back yard as the existing house tapers in. The house is # 63.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 76
Yes - from what I can see there isn't much difference in price between a granny flat and decent home which is a huge turnoff.

yes and then consider the equity / finance situation and you are probably better going off and securing more land by purchasing an income producing property elsewhere

Has anyone in Perth looked into quotes for granny flats? I have had one for brick for $135,000. :eek: I think my preference is for alternative materials to make the most of the floor space.

Will your council accept a transportable? Carine Gardens Caravan Park is closing in 6mths and many of the long term residents are selling off their 2 bedroom transportables

There is one that is only $25k all the way up to $100k

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carine/property-for-sale/park-home-for-sale-reduced-/1045400767

yes and then consider the equity / finance situation and you are probably better going off and securing more land by purchasing an income producing property elsewhere
I just sold a property that was about $10/week positive. I really want to start achieving something closer to $100-$200/wk positive or $200,000 net gains.. I'm currently not too interested in equity or buying. I would like to borrow another $500,000 after this to build two houses to generate $1000/ wk rent. I don't want cash flow to hold me back.

Back