WA Senate Election

WA Senate election was today

Where i go to view it seemed like a pretty low turnout. It was first thing in the morning though. A couple of colleagues reported they were able to get straight in without having to queue.

The apathy over voting due to it being a recount situation - did it really happen or was that just perception? I noticed one site said there was 100k pre votes vs 15k last time, so less needed to turn up on the day...

How was it where you were? Anything interesting? Any predictions?

The call is now 3 libs 1 Greens 1 Palmer United and 1 Labor.... so the question senate dominance is look dicey....welcome to democracy.

I called out that Scott Ludlam will win...looks like he will....

I'm watching the ABC coverage online.
McTiernan is very unintelligent. Her logic suggests that labor won because a) they got a seat and b) Liberal had the swing against them which was suggested well prior to the event anyway. She also looks drunk I suggest she be blood tested before making TV appearances.

ridiculous situation, someone should have been shot for this whole debacle and for heavens sake can we move to internet voting? it's not 1980 anymore

ridiculous situation, someone should have been shot for this whole debacle and for heavens sake can we move to internet voting? it's not 1980 anymore

That'd be handy.
But how do you prevent people voting for each other or multiple times? Or how do you assist people who are noobs?

I'm watching the ABC coverage online.
McTiernan is very unintelligent. Her logic suggests that labor won because a) they got a seat and b) Liberal had the swing against them which was suggested well prior to the event anyway. She also looks drunk I suggest she be blood tested before making TV appearances.

More than drunk. Something very wrong with that woman. It reminded me of walking into a pub sober and seeing people like that everywhere.

That'd be handy.
But how do you prevent people voting for each other or multiple times? Or how do you assist people who are noobs?

How do we prevent people from voting multiple times now? We can't. Preventing multiple votes from the same computer can be easily done in the voting website.

How do we prevent people from voting multiple times now? We can't. Preventing multiple votes from the same computer can be easily done in the voting website.

There are ways to do it, and they involve authenticating yourself to the remote system rather than relying on cookie-based approaches. Basically the voting system itself keeps track of who it is expecting to vote, and allows them to vote only once.

It would be a hell of a target for online mischief, though.

How can driving from one polling booth to another many, many times be considered 'accidental'???

With my paranoid, professional security guy hat on, I'd be far more worried about someone taking blank voting papers from a polling booth (easy), making lots of copies (easy), and having a small group of people fill them out (easy), then have that group walk into a number of polling places and dump their dummy ballot papers into official ballot boxes (not easy, but not hard either).

That could make or break a seat.

More than drunk. Something very wrong with that woman. It reminded me of walking into a pub sober and seeing people like that everywhere.

Having debated with McTiernan on more than one occasion, face to face, I can tell you it's probably got to do with the fact that

a) she works 20/7 - literally.
b) she suffers from hayfever quite badly.
c) shs's probably shat to tears.

Yeah challenging her competence only makes the poster sound silly.

We need more people like her in politics from all sides

Yeah challenging her competence only makes the poster sound silly.

We need more people like her in politics from all sides

Yea we need more pollies to set record quantities of DUI offenses whilst Transport Minister

Yea we need more pollies to set record quantities of DUI offenses whilst Transport Minister

I have personally spent time with her on a couple of occasions, when she was part of the labor state govt and when she was mayor of Vincent. She is passionate and highly competent so yes, we need more people like her
She has made her mistakes like most of us have but I'm not looking for a perfect human being.

The fact that you can't seem to find anything good at all speaks volumes though.

Also, did you get done for drink driving? Obviously people in her position need to be held to anything higher standard but I assume you don't feel that in say 10 years your silly mistake isn't used to completely invalidate your professional standards?

I have personally spent time with her on a couple of occasions, when she was part of the labor state govt and when she was mayor of Vincent. She is passionate and highly competent so yes, we need more people like her
She has made her mistakes like most of us have but I'm not looking for a perfect human being.

The fact that you can't seem to find anything good at all speaks volumes though.

Also, did you get done for drink driving? Obviously people in her position need to be held to anything higher standard but I assume you don't feel that in say 10 years your silly mistake isn't used to completely invalidate your professional standards?

No ive never dui'd (is that the right term?)
And yes my mistakes from past 10 years do affect my current opportunities, so we should all be on equal footing
No debate of hers ive seen, including unofficial one with Bishop the other night, has yielded any intelligent comments nor questions. One would pray you're correct on her passion / competence level.

WA Senate election was today

How was it where you were? Anything interesting? Any predictions?

It was a very long and tiring day. 4am to 9pm....non-stop. I had fantastic assistance from a forum member who put in the hard yards. It's people like him who make the difference.....and this time it came down to the wire.

Plenty of interesting things always happen, and an amazing array of people you meet on the booths.

No need for predictions. Job done.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/wa-senate-2014/detail/

Out of the 15 members in the House of Reps, WA only sent 3 from Labor.

Out of the 12 Senators, WA only sent 3 from Labor.

Hey Joe Hockey...is doing a brilliant job for the labor party....his news of cuts to pensions should just about tip the next election in favour of minor parties or labor.

Great about cuts....but what news of jobs??

It was a very long and tiring day. 4am to 9pm....non-stop. I had fantastic assistance from a forum member who put in the hard yards. It's people like him who make the difference.....and this time it came down to the wire.

Plenty of interesting things always happen, and an amazing array of people you meet on the booths.

No need for predictions. Job done.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/wa-senate-2014/detail/

Out of the 15 members in the House of Reps, WA only sent 3 from Labor.

Out of the 12 Senators, WA only sent 3 from Labor.

Hey Joe Hockey...is doing a brilliant job for the labor party....his news of cuts to pensions should just about tip the next election in favour of minor parties or labor.

It takes bravery and guts to run a budget responsibly. Any monkey can throw money that they've borrowed to the masses.

See ya's.

Unemployment in Australia dropped to 5.8 in March - from 6.1.

SA and Tasmania are the only 2 states that have had an increase in unemployment - all other states experienced an increase in employment hours.

Unemployment in Australia dropped to 5.8 in March - from 6.1.

SA and Tasmania are the only 2 states that have had an increase in unemployment - all other states experienced an increase in employment hours.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Back