WA to potentially remove paprtment developemt provisions from R30/R34 zones

Do Canning allow multis on R30? I'm trying to read their TPS and it's archaic

Canning don't allow multis in areas coded r40 or below. But their scheme is quite old (pre 2010 R-Codes) and there was talk of them reviewing it entirely and that was to be the first thing to go. But now with amalgamations on the table who knows

Hi HD, I'd be pretty keen to take a read of that letter if you'd be happy to share (that is, if you even hung onto it). Is that something legislated in their scheme like Stirling or are they just 'warning people' that such applications wont be viewed positively (which sounds like an invitation to end up in SAT, if anyone could be bothered).

I have attached the letter. So they are proposing to amend their R20/30 policy and have commenced advertising for feedback on the change.

Attachments

• img240.jpg
    img240.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 104
  • img241.jpg
    img241.jpg
    905 KB · Views: 82
Approval to advertise

Another quick progress update:

The amendment went to the WAPC Statutory Planning Committee on 26 August and was given consent to advertise, with the 60 day advertising period beginning tomorrow. The officer?s report was confidential and the minutes don?t say much but the word on the street is the amendment is going through pretty much as originally drafted (with a few minor revisions to the wording).

Update - Feb 2015

Hi all. A quick update on the R-Codes Amendment:

The DoP are rushing to finalise the report to the Commission, which they are scheduled to discussed at this month?s meeting on the 24th. The report, agenda item and outcomes however are all confidential, and it is likely that nothing will be released to the public before the Minister has made his determination, and potentially not until the changes are gazetted (likely around late April/May).

The submissions on the advertised amendment have been particularly divergent, with LGA?s largely in support of the changes, and industry very much against them. It will be interesting to see how the Commission weighs up the wants of these opposing forces.

I have been advised that the best way to stay abreast of any updates will be via the WAPC?s R-Codes page, however for anyone with specific questions Paul Ellenbroek at the DoP is usually quite helpful (just don?t ask him what the outcome is!).

Thanks for the update. I have one project potentially affected (changing of wording of substantial to majority in Multis) and I'm hoping it gets through before the change if the outcome goes that way.

Fingers crossed.

interestingly the affordable housing advocates are ALL against it.

thanks for the updates - while i'm sure we're all aware of the negatives of the new R Codes, the positives for single dwellings and group housing is actually starting to outweigh the MD stuff.

Just a quick update on the progress (or lack of) with the proposed Amendment to the R-Codes regarding multi-res development at R30/R35 (read the original email and thread below for a quick refresher).

Since my last update the amendment has been advertised with the final report having been prepared and presented to the Commission at last month?s meeting. As with previous minutes the report is confidential so no word on the outcome for some time now. Once the recommendation has been made to the Minister and his recommendation in turn made to the Governor, public notification will occur which will be the first we hear of the outcome (tip-offs aside!). The changes will not take legal effect until the amendment has then been gazetted. There is no statutory time period on any of this, but a contact at the Department of Planning advises that the whole thing is likely to take at least seven months before we have an outcome.

Watch this space! ...but not very closely.

QUOTE=Tano;1270173]How so? Do you have a link that summaries the new benefits?[/QUOTE]

Also Tano, re changes to how single res is dealt with: you might want to check out the planning bulletin released last week by the WAPC regarding 'Medium-density single house development standards' (or RMD Codes as they are being called. They mandate a range of standard 'variations' to the R-Codes that are often sought by developers through Local Development Plans (previously called Detailed Area Plans) that would apply to all new areas coded under the new RMD classifications (i.e RMD40, as opposed to R40).

http://www.planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_pdf/Planning_Bulletin_1122015_single_house.pdf[

NOTE however that whilst these changes are effective immediately, they do not apply retrospectively to existing developments/approvals/codes, and can only be introduced via a Structure Plan that specifically codes an area under the RMD codes.

As such they are definitely more relevant to large scale developers than small infill players. But still something to keep in mind if you are investing in new structure planning areas. I anticipate they will have a number of follow on effects for how LGs deal with/tolerate Local Development Plans /Detailed Area Plans going forward also.

But that's a whole other thread...

Just a quick update on the progress (or lack of) with the proposed Amendment to the R-Codes regarding multi-res development at R30/R35 (read the original email and thread below for a quick refresher).

Since my last update the amendment has been advertised with the final report having been prepared and presented to the Commission at last month?s meeting. As with previous minutes the report is confidential so no word on the outcome for some time now. Once the recommendation has been made to the Minister and his recommendation in turn made to the Governor, public notification will occur which will be the first we hear of the outcome (tip-offs aside!). The changes will not take legal effect until the amendment has then been gazetted. There is no statutory time period on any of this, but a contact at the Department of Planning advises that the whole thing is likely to take at least seven months before we have an outcome.

Watch this space! ...but not very closely.

7 months - love how quick the wheels of change go ;). In my case it's a blessing as I don't want my loophole closed yet.

Thanks PU

What? i wrongly assumed it was for grouped and multi.
If you subdivide before DA then does the RMD codes apply to brownfield .(infill) local structure schemes?

Tano,

RMD provisions are only for new subdivisions, not infill product.

We may see a carry over of the RMD provisions to group housing in the new codes which might be a reason for delay.

A.

Hi Aaron
Planning Bulletin 112/2015 states
"The new standards provide consistency for ?deemed-to-comply? standards and reduce dependency on local development plans and local structure plans (in the event these standards are incorporated into the R-Codes) to provide for variations to effect the provision of medium-density single houses in predominantly greenfield but also brownfield areas where a structure plan is required to precede subdivision and development."

From reading that i assumed that RMD codes can apply to infill with a local structure plan

I'm pretty sure that's drafted to include areas like Gosnells ODP req's etc - and fair enough - they're HUGE slabs of land that function like new subdivisions in every respect.

Hi Aaron
Planning Bulletin 112/2015 states
"The new standards provide consistency for ?deemed-to-comply? standards and reduce dependency on local development plans and local structure plans (in the event these standards are incorporated into the R-Codes) to provide for variations to effect the provision of medium-density single houses in predominantly greenfield but also brownfield areas where a structure plan is required to precede subdivision and development."

From reading that i assumed that RMD codes can apply to infill with a local structure plan

In that I would say those brownfield are areas large enough to require a DAP/Structure Plan. For example Princeton Estate, Stirling is probably brownfield.

But again all over it says medium density single houses, so for now if you want to use the land will need to be survey strata'd first into singles and the land be using RMD.

Back