Wait for equity to increase, or use offset funds

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying my first IP next year.
I purchased my first PPOR in 2012 for $423,000 (around the median for the area) with a 20% deposit leaving a debt of $338,000. The median house price for the area has increased to $470,000.

Assuming the house actually is valued at this, and I can use 80% of my equity for the IP, I should have $38,000 ([470,000 * 0.80] - 338,000) available for the new deposit (not a whole lot).

I have an IO loan on my house, and have saved up $80,000 in my 100% offset account.

My question is, when looking at financing the first IP, would I be better off waiting for the equity to increase, or should I just use the funds in my offset account.

Fairly new to this, appreciate any help :)

Thanks

No 3. Pay down the loan and reborrow the money. This will decrease non deductible debt and increase deductions.

No 4. Increase the loan to 90%.

I would favour No 3 myself. Just make sure you get the splits right.

No 3. Pay down the loan and reborrow the money. This will decrease non deductible debt and increase deductions.

No 4. Increase the loan to 90%.

I would favour No 3 myself. Just make sure you get the splits right.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for that, though I'm unsure what you mean by No 3.
For example:
If I had a $100k debt, with $10k in an offset account.
I paid down the loan with that $10k leaving a debt of $90k.
I then re-borrow that $10k for an IP, bringing my debt back to $100k, but now part of the debt ($10k) is for investment purposes and is deductible?
....is that right?

Hi Terry,

Thanks for that, though I'm unsure what you mean by No 3.
For example:
If I had a $100k debt, with $10k in an offset account.
I paid down the loan with that $10k leaving a debt of $90k.
I then re-borrow that $10k for an IP, bringing my debt back to $100k, but now part of the debt ($10k) is for investment purposes and is deductible?
....is that right?

Yes.

if you are talking about say $100,000 in savings in the offset this would give you around $5000 extra in deductions each year.

If you used the $100k to invest you would pay $5000 more interest on the home loan and this would not be deductible.

But if you paid the $100k off the home loan and reborrowed it then the $5000 interest on this $100k would be deductible.

Hi Seano,

I think the suggestion is to use the money in your offset to pay down your PPOR loan, then take out a new loan (or maybe a LOC) not just redraw the money, so that for tax purposes the loans are clearly separate.

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying my first IP next year.
I purchased my first PPOR in 2012 for $423,000 (around the median for the area) with a 20% deposit leaving a debt of $338,000. The median house price for the area has increased to $470,000.

Assuming the house actually is valued at this, and I can use 80% of my equity for the IP, I should have $38,000 ([470,000 * 0.80] - 338,000) available for the new deposit (not a whole lot).

I have an IO loan on my house, and have saved up $80,000 in my 100% offset account.

My question is, when looking at financing the first IP, would I be better off waiting for the equity to increase, or should I just use the funds in my offset account.

Fairly new to this, appreciate any help :)

Thanks

Yep, playing it out for you:

Step 1: Pay down your PPOR loan. The aim here is to and reap the tax benefits of turning $80,000+ into deductible debt. This should increase your deductions on your next property by ~$4000 per year.

Step 2: Get 2-3 valuations done on your PPOR with lenders that suit (and definitely one with your current lender, easiest to stay with them). Can get 10%+ swings in variations in valuations of the same property - so best to get a few.

Step 3: Then refinance back up to 80% LVR with the highest valuation/best suited lender. Make sure you set up a separate loan for the equity you've withdrawn. Therefore, if your PPOR debt is $258k, set it up as follows:
Loan A: 258K PPOR refi.
Loan B: Remaining funds to 80% LVR - INVESTMENT DEBT.

Be sure to avoid cross collateralising your loans.

Step 4: Buy your new IP with the investment debt.

Haha Dave - i think i know what you mean.

Cheers,
Redom

Last edited:
Hey Seano

How much "cash" do you need to have available to manage risk and sleep comfortably at night?

I agree with the general consensus of injecting cash from offset into the loan principal and reborrowing. However - the amount to inject is dependent on your risk profile and I'd also arrange an upfront valuation on your PPOR first.

Cheers

Jamie

Back