Wallan, Victoria, 3756

I would buy in Wallan if it was positively geared. Wallan has a lot going for it. Its close to Kilmore and has some of Victoria's best schools, Assumption College and Kilmore International.

Most people get their property knowledge from a textbook. Often they do not think for themselves so they repeat what everyone else is saying.

The truth is that people work everywhere. Employment opportunities exist all around Melbourne. Its true living in Wallan makes no sense if you work in Frankston. However if you have a good job in Craigieburn or Beveridge then Wallan is great. Its clean, cheap and the people are simple and great. You can always find parking, there are no traffic jams and people smile at you when you pass them in the streets.

I have observed what has happened in "gentrified suburbs" such as Moonee Ponds and Ascot Vale. People are looking stressed and haggard. Yes they dress better because they feel they have to to keep up with their neighbours but it has become more of a rat race and less friendly and relaxed as compared to outer suburbs.

My point is that there is no right or wrong place to live. Property is always going to go up in value, god is not making any more land.

As I have previously said, I live in Wallan/Hidden Valley and own an investment property. The Investment Property is positively geared and I always have people lined up to rent it if required.

I work in Melbourne CBD and it takes less than an hour to get there every day (on a nice VLINE train - none of the Met crap ) or if I drive again about an hour, using the tolls.

Wallan does have some great schools within 15 minutes of the town, things are starting to pop up everywhere, there is a lack of dining options but it is getting better. The streets are safe, the people are friendly - I always say it but its greatest asset regarding a development is hidden and is appropriately named (Hidden Valley).

For everyone that drives along the Hume Highway to Sydney, that is not Wallan.. technically the Australand Estate is in East Wallan which is away from the main town. I am sure it will be like all the other developments that started out as a paddock with drainage problems, suddenly there will be schools, parks, shops. The only difference is it is a 5 minute walk from a train station that gets you to the city in about 40-45minutes.

In summary - Wallan has public transport, is commutable, good schools close by, is safe, clean and seems to be on the way up ( but currently lacks dining options ).. Oh and is still reasonably priced

I was driving from Canberra to Melbourne last weekend on the Hume highway when I all of a sudden this billboard jumped out at me..... land release build your new home right here or something very similar. They were very serious when they said right here......Right on the Hume highway.

Yeah, it's weird. You're driving along in the countryside and then - SMACK a bunch of McHovels next to the freeway, and then back to countryside and you're left thinking "What the....?"

I drove past last week and they are building a big wall around it now to at least hide it from us.

My understanding from people who live in the area is that the housing is commission style!
There is also a development near Hidden Valley on the cards too I hear. Some residents aren't too happy about that apparently.

My understanding from people who live in the area is that the housing is commission style!
There is also a development near Hidden Valley on the cards too I hear. Some residents aren't too happy about that apparently.

Rick if you are referring to Spring Ridge which is directly opposite Hidden Valley (the only development opposite Hidden Valley ), well I think I might just buy a commission style house. I live in Hidden Valley and I haven't heard anyone on the golf course, at the country club, in the street, on the train or at the supermarket refer to Spring Ridge as commission style, because it's not. I'm not sure who is telling you this but you must have the wrong estate.

Their websites accurately depict both the Hidden Valley Estate and the Spring Ridge Estate, have a look for yourself http://www.springridge.com.au/ and http://www.hiddenvalleygolf.com.au/ or better yet come up and have a look :)

Commission Development in Wallan????

Recently I have been talking to a few residents of Wallan and they have mentioned that there is going to be a new commission housing development built there. If this is true then I would envision Wallan to be the next ‘Broadmeadows’ and this would definitely not command a significant increase in property prices. If anything property prices would stay stagnant and depending on where your house is situated in comparison to the new commission development your house price might even drop. Personally if my house was near a commission development I would sell up and purchase elsewhere.

In regards to Wallan being a first home buyers place to purchase then yes, I would have to say that as a young investor myself we don’t have much choice in where we purchase as prices are so high and no doubt buying in Wallan you bought within your range (hopefully). So yes, as a first property I think it is a good place to purchase and gain the $30K plus government grant.

Although in sayign this if you 'own' rather than 'rent' then you are always ahead.

As Jennifer said, there is no commission style housing in wallan. Springridge looks to be a nice development, although very hilly

I have heard rumours of a commission development coming to town. But I have a friend who has looked into this a lot more than me, and has advised me it is not the case. But i do not have the facts in front of me at the moment

I am now living in more house I built, very happy there. Very affordable compared to what some of my friends have paid for 1 bedroom appartments around Essendon

now i just need to smash the loan, earn more, and get onto my first investment property

Back