Wallpaper

Hi all,
I was wondering if anybody has put up wallpaper recently? I am doing my first reno and the house is all timber - timber walls, timber floors except one wall which is cork tiles. I need to pull all the cork off because it is damaged so I was thinking of wallpapering it instead of painting it. I thought I may get a better effect as a feature wall. I looked at wallpaper the other day and found one which looks like paint work but with more texture and colour. Has anyone else looked at wallpaper instead of paint? I did a search but most people seem to pulling it off not putting it on.
Roz

Hi

Had wallpaper in some rooms for over 20 years here didn't like it then and haven't changed my mind since :(

My first office IP has a sponge effects feature wall in the reception area, I am not 100% in love with the choice of colour but still better than wallpaper :)

My next office has timber walls with bare brick showing and I can live with that. Plaster on the bare walls is an option one day.

Next buy is either a pink walled shop or plain walled offices.
/me Would lose the pink on change of tenant ;)

Personaly I think you may have enough feature walls already and may be better looking at something plainer as contrast......But what would I know?

bundy

Have seen it used to good effect to disguise an imperfect wall.

But damage is not easy to fix.

For those of us who might buy it next, please don't use spirit based glue.:p

Hi Roz
I have recently disquised crook walls with that cheap timber look sheeting (It has been around for years). I then coated it with ESP then painted it with sealer and two coats of low sheen. The finish and effect is great is great.( give it time to cure.)
Kind regards
Simon
"El Cheapo Renovator"

I used to live in England, and papering was quite popular there. It was possible to find a big range of wallpapers, with quite a range of possibilities as well.

To some extent, it was used to cover defects in walls of very old houses. But it people were aloso much more used to using it.

There were two styles of wallpaper available then. One was the sort which had all the colours included- you just put it up, and it looked great. The other sort was the textured non- coloured variety- which was designed to be painted over.

I pulled off the old wallpaper in the house (steamed off)- it was intersting to find the "writing on the wall"- "papered by xxx and yyy November 1892".

Wallpaper is easy to apply- and, I imagine, could be used especially to do something like a feature wall- which could be easily changed as tastes changed.

Dear Roz,

Are flares in fashion? Or do we simply wait another ten years for them to be? :)

The funny thing is that wallpaper could be back in fashion at some point in time. When everyone has gone the other way and enough time has passed then it looks more unique.

Question is whether you can successfully market this to potential tenants, buyers or valuers?

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi Roz

My local bookshop has some great DIY books which explain how to apply wallpaper among other things with cool pictures too. Perhaps you could check that out. As for me, I am about to buy my first reno PPOR which has some bloody hideous wallpaper AND carpet. Can't wait to get into it!

Regards,
Hobbo the Gobbo

Thanks everyone,
I decided to go ahead with wallpapering so I ordered it yesterday. I will let you know how it turns out. I have never done it before so it should be interesting/challenging!
Roz

Originally posted by hobgoblin
As for me, I am about to buy my first reno PPOR which has some bloody hideous wallpaper AND carpet. Can't wait to get into it!

Regards,
Hobbo the Gobbo
Congratulations HobArt- all trhe best with it.

mmm...Hobart is a place I've not been yet. Whilst on the topic of hideous carpet, can anyone tell me why these old places insist on having revolting brown swirly 1970's carpet in the kitchens??? I've seen three carpeted kitchens just this week! What is WITH that???!

Hi Hobgoblin

Maybe it went with the beautiful orange or lime green laminate.

Carpet in a kitchen?! It should walk out by itself!

Sunstone said:
Dear Roz,

The funny thing is that wallpaper could be back in fashion at some point in time. When everyone has gone the other way and enough time has passed then it looks more unique.

Question is whether you can successfully market this to potential tenants, buyers or valuers?

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Prophecy fulfilled Sunstone - its back!!

Whether it effects a valuers judgement or not I'm not sure...

Daggy old wallpaper is a lot more stylish than the rash of 'suede effects', 'sponging' and 'other' wall finishes I've seen recently....

TheBacon

Back