wallpapering vs painting

Hi there,

Thank you for reading this post.

I have decided to remove the banister/balustrade barrier on our second floor landing space and put up a half wall as a childproofing measure. I am estimating it to be 140cm to 150cm tall so as to prevent accidental falls. See picture at http://www.eades.ws/share/apr06/halfwall.jpg for an example of how I plan to get this done.

The issue is wallpapering vs painting on the side that faces the stairwell.
I am planning to paint the side that is directly adjacent to the second floor landing/walkway.

The surfaces I am talking about will come to 9 - 10 square mtr

This is my own place, no an IP.

My main concerns are

1. The height that the tradespeople have to work from, as it is I thin the height of each floor is 2.4 to 2.7m, then he/she has to go higher to paint or wall paper. Will they have their own ladder/harness that protect them from falls from such a great height?

2. Time it will take to wall paper / paint-
which takes a shorter time, and how long would it take to do up 9- 10 sq mtr?

3. Cost-wise
Trades people cost?
I know the material cost will be dependent upon what I choose.

Who do I get to do wallpapering in Melbourne eastern suburbs ? Neither partner and I are handypeoples (plus we are scared of heights!) so will need to get someone.

Care of wallpaper
Anyone had experience with caring for wallpaper?

It will be at a spot where soiling is unlikely due to difficult access except with tall ladders!

6. Where do I get wall paper in Melbourne?

How much does wall paper generally cost (thinking of patterned, stain resistant ones, maybe some texture)

Thanks again for your help.

Hi there,

Thank you for reading this post.

I have decided to remove the banister/balustrade barrier on our second floor landing space and put up a half wall as a childproofing measure. I am estimating it to be 140cm to 150cm tall so as to prevent accidental falls. See picture at http://www.eades.ws/share/apr06/halfwall.jpg for an example of how I plan to get this done.

The issue is wallpapering vs painting on the side that faces the stairwell.
I am planning to paint the side that is directly adjacent to the second floor landing/walkway.

The surfaces I am talking about will come to 9 - 10 square mtr

This is my own place, no an IP.

My main concerns are

1. The height that the tradespeople have to work from, as it is I thin the height of each floor is 2.4 to 2.7m, then he/she has to go higher to paint or wall paper. Will they have their own ladder/harness that protect them from falls from such a great height?

2. Time it will take to wall paper / paint-
which takes a shorter time, and how long would it take to do up 9- 10 sq mtr?

3. Cost-wise
Trades people cost?
I know the material cost will be dependent upon what I choose.

Who do I get to do wallpapering in Melbourne eastern suburbs ? Neither partner and I are handypeoples (plus we are scared of heights!) so will need to get someone.

Care of wallpaper
Anyone had experience with caring for wallpaper?

It will be at a spot where soiling is unlikely due to difficult access except with tall ladders!

6. Where do I get wall paper in Melbourne?

How much does wall paper generally cost (thinking of patterned, stain resistant ones, maybe some texture)

Thanks again for your help.

I don't have much experience in applying wallpaper except in half a dozen instances,however I will do my best to answer your questions.
All tradesman will have their own scaffold (Or hire)to do the job either way.
I believe you would be better off painting the higher areas because it will be done lots quicker and cheaper.Use a better quality paint like Taubmans living Proof Silk that has teflon in it so repaint will not be necessary for many many years.
If you must wallpaper do the lower areas,cause if you need to take it off later it will be easier to reach and therefore cheaper in the long run.

Wallpaper is great as a feature wall :p

Back