Want to build a rumpus room/storage space and need advice

Hi

I have read through some threads about building a granny flat type of detached building in Canterbury Council area. Our lot size is under 450sqm so no go. I would like to build something similar to a storage space/rumpus room/garage and am overwhelmed by what to do next. I have a quote from an architect who reckons building a space 6m x 4m will cost $50k to build, and has quoted $10K for plans and DA approval. That was more than I expected, especially after reading through some posts here.

I know the Council wants elevation, section and floor plans that need to comply with the Building Code, stormwater plans, an Environmental impact statement, and I think that was it.
Can Anyone recommend an architect/planner for this kind of work with a reasonable price?

Last edited:
Hi

I have read through some threads about building a granny flat type of detached building in Canterbury Council area. Our lot size is under 450sqm so no go. I would like to build something similar to a storage space/rumpus room/garage and am overwhelmed by what to do next. I have a quote from an architect who reckons building a space 6m x 4m will cost $50k to build, and has quoted $10K for plans and DA approval. That was more than I expected, especially after reading through some posts here. Thoughts anyone? Can Anyone know recommend an architect/planner for this kind of job. I am just looking at a very simple structure, one space, tin roof, rectangular shape, timber or gyprock walls, etc.

A bit over $2,000 per sqm for a small extension sounds pretty right to me. Most houses, building new, without the problems of existing dwelling being there, cost over $1,000 per sq/m .. mind you I am using Melbourne as my reference point.

It could well be cheaper to sell up and move to a bigger house.

Either that or get a pergola built and quietly enclose the sides....

good luck with it all.

RightValue

I would like to build something similar to a storage space/rumpus room/garage and am overwhelmed by what to do next.

Have you contacted any of the garage builders to see what they have to say ?
stuart

Back