Want to make Bali hut style structure, concreting posts?

I've had a really good idea of DIY'ing my own undercover shade structure. It looks quite simple really and does not require any council/building approval if under 30sq metres and no steel or tin.

The hardest part for me I'm guessing will be concreting the rather large stump posts x4. I have the option of drilling into concrete slab and concreting, or digging into the dirt just past the slab and concreting.

1/ I'm not a really great handyman.. How do I achieve the hole? Just hard work and a shovel or is there a special tool required? How deep does it have to be?

2/ I wouldn't mind sinking the posts in to the slab itself, but have no idea how to drill this much concrete out.. How is this achieved?

Thanks guys. I look forward to (hopefully) having it all done by the time my guests arrive just after Christmas.
Oh and PS, I like the look of the dark coloured timber the pro's use on most Bali huts, what type is this? and is it hard to work with? What timber should I use?

The hardest part for me I'm guessing will be concreting the rather large stump posts x4. I have the option of drilling into concrete slab and concreting, or digging into the dirt just past the slab and concreting.
Have you thought about dyna bolting some post brackets to the existing concrete?
Technically it could already have a footing under it,however if the concrete is solid,you should have no problems.

How deep does it have to be?
Usually footings are 600mm deep and 400mm wide around

I like the look of the dark coloured timber the pro's use on most Bali huts, what type is this? and is it hard to work with? What timber should I use?
This can be achieved with any timber,using a product called "Intergrain DWD"
This can be stained in the paint shop in a dark color and then painted on bare timber to achieve that jarrah look.

get some giant screw in stirrups (ground screws) - i have the 900mm long variety and man - you ain't pulling them out in a hurry.

It depends on what size posts you use because standard ones from the hardware shop / Bunnings might work or you can also get them made up at a welding works to suit any size post.
Go for a walk through Bunnings and look at the standard ones to get an idea on what you need to achieve..

get some giant screw in stirrups (ground screws) - i have the 900mm long variety and man - you ain't pulling them out in a hurry.
These screws are great,I cant believe what they hold,perhaps by jack hammering a hole big enough,you could then screw them in and fill the hole with cement?
Could work:p

hi
use chem set bolts if you want to hold the steel to concrete the take 24hrs to go off an dthe come in all sizes get them from ramset
they can hold 2 ton and the bolt will break before the fixing.
I use to use them all the time they are great for fixing both pull out of the ground and also if you want something that will not pull out of the concrete ceiling.
they start to go off within 5 min so you have to work quick but great product
as for the design etc pay a couple of hundred and bring over a national from bali and then you will have an original hut.:D:D
the cup bracket with 4 chemsets in 6 mil would be fine 10mil if you want.
use the thru bolts and go a bit more on the cost by using marine grade ssteel from a boat supplier they will never rust and last for ever plus 1 day.
if I wanted to do it I would go to a recycler and ask for 4 x 4 or 6x 6 hard woods they have heaps and bolt them together last for years and no termit in it rightmind would have a go at those.
also put a cup at the base of each post and in that cup put cyprus pine sawdust and keep it topped up.
cyprus likes most white ants toxic to them
hope this helps

I'm getting it now ;) :)

It's getting simpler and simpler actually, and if I make a slant top instead of pointed truss it will be a LOT easier. I'll run a guttering along the back.

Looks like I'll use the surrounds and dynabolt them in to the concrete instead of digging.

Use the marine grade dynabolts, do they make these? Or just normal bolts in marine grade?

Use hard wood, and also possibly use some decorative stuff for the side corners that come off the upright struts.
Very much like this picture but with hard wood and bali style top and sides except for front. I'm looking forward to decorating it!
Except mine will be only one half of this picture because the slab is around 3x3 metres.

Where can I get hard wood? Do most timber places sell this, and is it much more expensive?

http://www.shadetreecanopies.com/awnings/shade-structures/

Back