Wanted increased LOC, got larger loan + cash

Hi All,

I've read many of the offset / IP loan / tax deductibility threads but still can't get my head around my own situation.

I once had this scenario:

PPOR loan = $200,000
IP loan = $248,000 ; secured against IP only
Equity LOC (for investment purposes) = $200,000 ; secured against PPOR

(Therefore total debt limit : $648,000, "investment" debt : $448,000)

The LOC was almost fully drawn and I still needed a buffer for interest repayments , so I applied for a $50K increase. The existing lender wouldn't do it, so my mortgage broker suggested a re-finance.
That went ahead and when I had to sign the refinance documents, I was handed this scenario:

new PPOR loan = $200,000
new IP loan = $500,000 ; secured against IP and PPOR :(,
effectively incorporating the original 248K + 200K IP loans, with
cash in a new a/c = $52,000
(Therefore total debt "amount" still $648,000, although I realise the debt limit is now $700,000)

It was suggested I should put the 52K cash in an offset a/c against the new $500K loan, so that I wouldn't pay 'more' interest than what I had been paying ie. "investment" debt would still be: $500,000 - $52,000 (from offset a/c) = $448,000.

Now to the question (thanks for getting this far):

Do I really need to keep that $52K in an offset a/c against my $500K loan to maintain full tax deductibility of that loan?

Put another way: The new lender gave me a bigger loan (for investment purposes) on the refinancing, then put $52K into an ordinary savings account - can that money be used to pay down my PPOR? :confused:

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've read many of the offset / IP loan / tax deductibility threads but still can't get my head around my own situation.

I once had this scenario:

PPOR loan = $200,000
IP loan = $248,000 ; secured against IP only
Equity LOC (for investment purposes) = $200,000 ; secured against PPOR

(Therefore total debt limit : $648,000, "investment" debt : $448,000)

The LOC was almost fully drawn and I still needed a buffer for interest repayments , so I applied for a $50K increase. The existing lender wouldn't do it, so my mortgage broker suggested a re-finance.
That went ahead and when I had to sign the refinance documents, I was handed this scenario:

new PPOR loan = $200,000
new IP loan = $500,000 ; secured against IP and PPOR :(,
effectively incorporating the original 248K + 200K IP loans, with
cash in a new a/c = $52,000
(Therefore total debt "amount" still $648,000, although I realise the debt limit is now $700,000)

It was suggested I should put the 52K cash in an offset a/c against the new $500K loan, so that I wouldn't pay 'more' interest than what I had been paying ie. "investment" debt would still be: $500,000 - $52,000 (from offset a/c) = $448,000.

Now to the question (thanks for getting this far):

Do I really need to keep that $52K in an offset a/c against my $500K loan to maintain full tax deductibility of that loan?

Put another way: The new lender gave me a bigger loan (for investment purposes) on the refinancing, then put $52K into an ordinary savings account - can that money be used to pay down my PPOR? :confused:

Please don't put in your offset account, or to pay down your PPOR. You will lose deduct-ability from tax point of view

Oh dear.

You are now cross collateralised - unnecessarily.

Did your broker give you tax advice? Borrowing $52k to park in an offset creates all sorts of problems - mixed purpose loan for starters.

Your broker has created a mess now you must try to fix that by refinancing and splitting the loans or you will lose tax deductions.

the 200 non ded looks to still be 200 non dedn

............looks like you may be capitalising interest

and you know you are crossed

the excess 52 k in discrete offset against IP debt isnt an issue for me, since id treat that as a combined "LOC equivalent " product for tax purposes, but youd want to seek specific advice from your tax adviser.

ta

rolf

Thanks Terry and Rolf,

Pretty much what I thought (a bit of a mess). The refinance was done under some mild duress, I should have said no when I went to sign and found out it was going to be x-collaterallised...

My accountant has said he's OK with the tax deductibility, as long as I keep the $52K offsetting the $500K loan - I don't like it and I wanted to get some other SS opinions (which you have given).

I just don't really feel like refinancing again now :mad:

Then again, if I was to refinance, would any of the regularly contributing brokers on this forum be interested in helping me out? (I'm in Brisbane). These loans have been in place for 2 years and (as mentioned) were set up via a broker originally. I have recently re-negotiated the interest rates via a phone call to the bank ie. without my broker's intervention (I don't know how that works!).

All the loans are with NAB / Homeside and I have one other as well - an IP loan of $230,000(not crossed).

So the total lend is $930,000 and approximate value of the 3 properties is 1.3M.

Last edited:
Back