Warning - check your offset acc

Hi All

Thought I should bring something to your attention. A few months ago I discovered that my offset account had been mysteriously unlinked from one of my loans, effectively offsetting thin air. Please note that the last change I had made to any of my accounts was 4 months earlier so there is no possibility of a mix up. While this is bad, I should note that this is the 2ND time this has happened to me in the space of 3 years with the same bank. When I lodged a complaint with Westpac they propmptly "launched an "investigation", which came back showing a "computer glitch". yeah right....

After this time, I alerted a number of friends to this situation and advised them to check their accounts. Over the last 3 months I have had 4 friends come back with the same issue. One told me he'd had this occur twice with ANZ which prompted him to change banks.....and yesterday he tells me it happened again...this time with NAB!!! Coincidence? I think perhaps not.

Originally I thought i may have just been unlucky, but given the results here, i'd be very interested to find out if anyone else has come accross this issue?

Either way, I'd strongly recommend you check with your bank. Imagine how much money the banks are effectively stealing if only 1% of their customers had offset acc's unlinked. In my experience so far, it's a lot more than 1%!! If enough people respond with the same issue I'm happy to take this to the FOS on behalf of everyone.

How are you suppose to tell??
Do you have to go in and ask them to check?
I am with NAB

Check how much interest you are being charged! If it doesn't roughly equate to (loan - offset) * interest rate then there's a problem.

Regards,

Jason

The first time it happened, one of the phone staff alerted me when i was making a change to another account. Since then, every time I ring up for whatever reason I ask them to check, which was when i discovered the 2nd incident.

They did reimburse the full amount after an investigation on both occasions. The 2nd time, I asked them for a copy of the calculation to make sure it was the compounding amount, not just the interest missed calculated daily. They said they could provide it then they couldnt....:rolleyes: i told them if i didnt get a copy within 24 hours i'd be ringing the FOS. They ended up sending a grainy screen shot which was barely legible. I would've had to plug every number into a speadsheet guessing at some figures or ringing for clarification. In the end i just coudln't be bothered. Minimum 20 phone calls going through the auto prompts then explaining the situation to a new person each time + official complaints lodged with no call backs, etc etc, i'd just had enough. I ended up getting a refund on my annual premier advantage package ($395) after i walked down to the branch and demanded to speak to the branch manager when no result after all the phone calls and complaints.

At the end of the day all the effort saved me many thousands so it was worth it...the compensation wasnt...

i walked down to the branch and demanded to speak to the branch manager

who ?

Almost an oxymoron.

had a lender today (who shall remain nameless) provide a nice experience for an enquirer.

Folks wanted a bank guarantee instead of a dep bond, against the substantial equity in their PPOR, for an OTP purchase completing 2014.

Sorry Miss, cant do it that way. You need to take a loan of 80 k, and stick that into a TD, and then we take security over the TD and then we can give you a guarantee.

Either just dumb, or more likely trying to get 2 KPIs for the work of one

I see a refinance opportunity

ta
rolf

Wont go into names on a public forum but she was actually excellent...offered me an instant refund on the $395, then picked up the phone and got the ball rolling on all the processes while i waited. A short time later i had the money in my account and an explanation, albeit a slighty iffy one. I'd be happy to recommend her as an individual. If anyone banks with Westpac in Melbourne and has issues PM me and i'd be happy to pass on details.

Hi All

Thought I should bring something to your attention. A few months ago I discovered that my offset account had been mysteriously unlinked from one of my loans, effectively offsetting thin air. Please note that the last change I had made to any of my accounts was 4 months earlier so there is no possibility of a mix up. While this is bad, I should note that this is the 2ND time this has happened to me in the space of 3 years with the same bank. When I lodged a complaint with Westpac they propmptly "launched an "investigation", which came back showing a "computer glitch". yeah right....

After this time, I alerted a number of friends to this situation and advised them to check their accounts. Over the last 3 months I have had 4 friends come back with the same issue. One told me he'd had this occur twice with ANZ which prompted him to change banks.....and yesterday he tells me it happened again...this time with NAB!!! Coincidence? I think perhaps not.

Originally I thought i may have just been unlucky, but given the results here, i'd be very interested to find out if anyone else has come accross this issue?

Either way, I'd strongly recommend you check with your bank. Imagine how much money the banks are effectively stealing if only 1% of their customers had offset acc's unlinked. In my experience so far, it's a lot more than 1%!! If enough people respond with the same issue I'm happy to take this to the FOS on behalf of everyone.

I am with ANZ, the monthly mortgage statement will show you the 'Total offset saving for this period is $ XXX'. This can be easily re-confirmed by averaging your offset account money for that month x the interest rate. This will definately give you a good idea whether your offset account works or not.

I am with ANZ, the monthly mortgage statement will show you the 'Total offset saving for this period is $ XXX'. This can be easily re-confirmed by averaging your offset account money for that month x the interest rate. This will definately give you a good idea whether your offset account works or not.

It's possible that's calculated on what it SHOULD be saving you if linked correctly. I woudln't rely on what the statement says. If you can't be bothered (like me) creating a spreadsheet to check, a simple phone call will do the trick.

Does anyone have a spreadsheet that can help calculate how much i'm saving with the offset and as i deposit more money into it?

The online calculators only show how much you are saving by having a sum in there for a whole period, whereas, I will like to have a spreadsheet, where the offset grows every month.

Thanks in advance.

I wonder if banks can give interest calculation spreadsheet online via thier Internet Bank. If yes, it would be great for us to check the interest calculation and void this issue.

my old bank ME bank used to show the offset savings but westpac only totals up your overall offset savings not the monthly ones

i have to say Westpac like to hide alot of the things my old bank (ME bank) and bank SA show
eg offset amount
your monthly payment amount and due date
interest rate
just to name a few off the top of my head

Does anyone have a spreadsheet that can help calculate how much i'm saving with the offset and as i deposit more money into it?

The online calculators only show how much you are saving by having a sum in there for a whole period, whereas, I will like to have a spreadsheet, where the offset grows every month.

Thanks in advance.

D_One, give the attached a go. Enter starting loan balance, offset and interest rate into orange cells at the top. Assumes any interest saving goes back into the offset. Also added a column for any extra deposits you might make each month.

Cheers, blw

Attachments

• Simple offset calc.xls
    31 KB · Views: 95
And yes I checked my offset and it calcs correctly. With CBA if that matters.

Can the banks really be that sneaky at risk of such hideous PR if these occurances arent an accident?! Oh wait...:cool:

D_One, give the attached a go. Enter starting loan balance, offset and interest rate into orange cells at the top. Assumes any interest saving goes back into the offset. Also added a column for any extra deposits you might make each month.

Cheers, blw

Thank You

That is exactly what I need.

Back