Warning: Forums being closed down!

It appears that one poster in question has named one company, and had some bad things to say about that company. That company is calling libel. The poster concerned that he's just raised legitimate concerns based on publicly available data.

I don't know the legals of this.

I wonder how that leaves this forum. From time to time, people raise company names- sometimes good things are said about that company being questioned, sometimes not.

There were specific threats made in the old forum- there have been none which I know of in this forum. I had assumed that this was becuase posts in the new forum don't show up in google (except for the photogallery)- but that may not be the case.

Be careful out there :D

geoffw said:
There were specific threats made in the old forum- there have been none which I know of in this forum. I had assumed that this was becuase posts in the new forum don't show up in google (except for the photogallery)- but that may not be the case.

Be careful out there :D

Legal letters have been issued on this forum , and an online apology issued.

Surely you remember Geoff

See Change

A few months ago I raised the issue of disclaimers, or more specifically the complete lack of them, on this forum.

I wouldn't take the risks many do here by giving (sometimes direct) advice without being clear about the "general nature" of any such advice.

"Good" advice which proves to be faulty in changed circumstances, even if free, could prove expensive.

Just showing my conservative side again ..... Thommo

Thommo said:
"Good" advice which proves to be faulty in changed circumstances, even if free, could prove expensive.
Any advice becomes less relevant if circumstances change - no matter how professional the person giving it.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Sounds like their forum had a hands-off moderation policy (which most do, given the amount of work it takes to run a forum like we do).

As much as I hate to do so, we have on a number of occasions needed to delete posts and indeed entire threads by people who, in our judgement, stepped over the line as to what is acceptable. There has also indeed been the occasion of "cease and desist" letters from lawyers representing third parties who were upset by some of the remarks made here.

My personal approach is one of humility in these things. It does not pay to be so proud of the posts or any supposed "right of freedom of speech", that you cannot see the sane alternative of just removing the contentious posts and moving on with your life. Crusading is all well and good, but doing it using a vehicle which could hurt many more people than those actually making the statements is neither appropriate, nor wise, in my opinion. There are other such vehicles which may be more suitable. Publish your own website or blog if it is that important for you to get your message out there.

Thommo said:
HotCopper and ozEstock are off line today. Both in the same stable.

Curious!

would be pretty surprised if those sites (owned by same company) were down for legal reasons, would guess it is just technical problems.

paul_s said:
would be pretty surprised if those sites (owned by same company) were down for legal reasons, would guess it is just technical problems.
They suffer a lack of commitment, and not just financial.

Makes you appreciate just how much effort Sim puts in here. (Want a raise mate? I'll put in a good word)

Thommo

Thommo said:
Makes you appreciate just how much effort Sim puts in here. (Want a raise mate? I'll put in a good word)

Thommo

How noble you are, offering to through money in to give Sim a raise!

;)

Jas

Thommo said:
They suffer a lack of commitment, and not just financial.

I would say it has a lot to do with the profitability of forums, they really don't seem to be great money makers, would guess staffing is very minimal with ozestock and all their sites. Forums that tend to work well tend to be those where the people running it are major particpants from what I ca see of it, ie being done for perhaps reasons other than making money directly from it.

Back