Warranty on fittings (kitchen exhaust fan) in a new built property

Hi,
We settled on our IP in July this year and had a tenant moving in straight away. The property was brand new. During the weekend the tenant smelt a funny smell from the kitchen exhaust fan. When they had a look a plastic cover had fallen down and was lying on top of the light bulbs. The plastic had started to melt which caused the smell.

My question is who is looking after this from a warranty point of view. Is it me that have to chase up the range hood manufacturer to ask them if this is covered by their warranty or should the builder do this?
It also could be the builder that might not have installed the exhaust fan properly?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks
johk

We have a dodgy exhaust fan in our new place and when we listed it in our 3 month claim the builder told us we needed to contact the manufacturer.

Hi,
The builder has finally got back to us and he is claiming it is not a problem with the installation and he forwarded the receipt for where the electrical appliances where purchased. The property manager have contacted the manufacturer and they will look at kitchen exhaust. The manufacturer also mentioned that if there is not a warranty claim there will be a fee for the ‘call out’.Later during the day I got an email form the property manager which I am not sure what it means. We have a landlord insurance.
“It has been bought to our attention that you may wish to check your current investment property insurance in relation to a possible non coverage under a Periodic General Tenancy Agreement(lease).
Please contact me , to discuss the issue, should your insurer require a Fixed Term General Tenancy Agreement(lease).”

I don’t see how the issue with the kitchen fan should be an insurance claim. If it is not a ‘warranty claim’ who is to fix it? Eother the products is faulty or it was not installed properly.

Is it the builders responsibility to fix it as it being new and we are still under ‘builder warranty’?

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks,

johk

Jon

We have 4 IP's our builder of 3 is very difficult to deal with for post build minor warranty issues, we have had no success in getting him to fix minor issues, we do not expect our PM to be able to achieve something we cannot ressolve ourselves.

In our personal experience we have also found the plumber our builder used to be unreliable as well, so we have moved on and allow our PM to call their reliable plumber as less further problems.

On the other hand if something goes wrong and PM sends out a tradesperson they use then I expect them to manage the tradesperson and solve any issues as they arise.

Hope this helps.
Sheryn

PS
When we first started every dollar was precious, as we have moved on we don't worry and stress as much. :)

It not the builders problem. Advise the PM in writing to contact the manufacture. If the PM is not helpfully in doing so do it yourself ASAP. Do all in writing as well as verbal. Once all sorted and if PM not helpfully change PM ASAP.

I would not give two hoots about paying for a service call at this stage easier to explain to authorities if a fire started that you did all you could than to do little because of a $100 service call.

I dare say the manufacture will come out an no fee will be payable.

It would not be the builder that installed the exhaust fan more like the sparkie the builder just gets blamed for everything :cool:.

As part of the hand over YOU should have received from the builder ALL the paperwork (operation booklets) receipts and warranty paperwork certification certicicates in relation to ALL relevant equipment installed in the construction. The fact you don't have the receipt indicates you may not have these.

This is your record for any warranty claims and handy if selling down the track etc.

Brian

Back