Wash company car tax

Hi Guys. My wife has recently got a company and but needs to wash herself, can the washing of the car be tax deductible.:)

Thanks

you would think it is an easy question and easy answer. but no.

ok. if she owned the car in her own name and kept a logbook for a 12 week period then yes the car washing would be deductible. if she did it herself only the sponge, soap, etc would be deductible. not a charge for her labor component. at a car wash no problem. fully deductible up to the business percentage.

but you have used the words provided with a company car. so if the company owns the vehicle and she takes it home but as part of the privelege she must also wash the car then it wont be deductible. Private Ruling 1011320080429 https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi=/misc/rba/content/1011320080429.htm deals with the very issue.

Novated lease ? Another complication. too much to go into but if under a novated lease then seek advice.

Would you recommend a gurney from Sydney Tools or a Kaarcher from Bunnings or Masters? Can't remember which model comes with a massage unit.

Sorry to highjack,
but if you have a company car that is to NOT to be driven for any reason other than for work purposes can I claim a car parking spot for it against my taxes? The car spot would be rented next to my place of residence but would be a separate lease. I have had a couple of mixed answers so far from accountants.

Taxation Ruling No. IT 2198 contains the ATO view on the deductibility of an expense voluntarily incurred by an employee.

In paragraph 10, IT 2198 specifies that what is decisive in determining the deductibility of such an expense is whether it was incurred on the plant, articles or property used by the taxpayer in gaining or producing their assessable income.

The requirement for deduction will be satisfied if the occasion of the outgoing, or the use of the plant, articles or property, is within the scope of the particular duties of the employment. In simple terms, the requirement for deduction will be satisfied if the expense is something that might ordinarily be expected to occur in carrying out the duties of the employment.

Not a simple yes or no which is why you got varied responses.

Refer PBR https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi=/misc/rba/content/1011636009345.htm

the answer was NO

Thanks again everyone.
The car is part of her salary package so car is supplied (DaveM) as she travels a bit in her work and 100%use on weekend too.
I thought it might have been deductible like a work uniform for washing:)

Thanks for the link coastymike that is pretty much my situation outlined. I might have to get a creative accountant to have a look at the exact nuts and guts of my contractual obligations and see whether they can do anything with it to get me a deduction. You can only try hey haha.

If the car is company supplied under fbt then NO DEDUCTION is available to the employee. The washing costs can only reduce fbt. But all deductions are lost. It's a simple issue.

Back