Washing Machine - Body Corp

Hi Everyone,

I have a unit in a complex of 6.

There is a communal washing machine area and my unit does not have the appropriate plumbing to have a washing machine.

So the washing machine in the communal area is not working now and the body corp manager says he does not want to fix it. He mentioned that there is no way to see if anybody is mis using it and that if he fixes it, more problems will follow.

Can you advise on what you would do in my situation?

Cheers

Cash Flows

It is common property and there's an obligation to maintain the cp. What is the strata manager suggesting that the owners& tenants do in the meantime?

Scott is correct if the washing machine is strata property then they have a duty to repair it in a timely manner.

Advise the manager in writing of the date that you first contacted their office advising them of said problem and formally request that the works be undertaken in a timely manner.

Should they desist in doing so, then again write to them advising that you will be contacting the states Department of Fair Trading and lodging a complaint requesting action.

You could connect a washing machine to your kitchen tap - pretty easy - screw on/screw off. Or use a laundromat.

So the washing machine in the communal area is not working now and the body corp manager says he does not want to fix it. He mentioned that there is no way to see if anybody is mis using it and that if he fixes it, more problems will follow.

Hi,

The Body Corporate Manager has no authority to make any decisions whatsoever in relation to the Body Corporate.

You need to address your concern to the Body Corporate Committee (via the BC Manager), and request that the washing machine is repaired or replaced. The BC Manager has an obligation to pass that request on to the Committee for their decision.

If they decide not to repair/replace and do not come up with a satisfactory alternative, you have avenues of appeal through the office of the Commissioner for Body Corporate and Community Management (department of Justice)

Cheers, Matt.

Back