Washing machine maintenance

Hi all,

I'm a newbie is this game and have been lurking this forum for a while (so very helpful). The situation that's bugged me recently is with a repair to the washing machine. It wouldn't drain, so a contractor was called out, pump replaced - no probs - $225. Then according to my PM, he had to be called out again for the same issue, they found hair pins in the pump, it got cleared, they retested - and that's another $110 thanks. PM said that as we can't prove it was the tenant's fault the second time so can't oncharge them the $110.

So, after a bit of digging and alot of question asking (hair pins? it's a female first time out of home) - it seems that the second callout was made 12 days after the pump was replaced, and according to the contractor (who I contacted directly), having some hair pins from the previous tenant 'hiding' somewhere and being dislodged later to cause the same problem is unlikely as they cleared all the pipes etc the first time (yeah - this was the explanation from the PM :rolleyes:).

So my question is - can I still get the tenant to foot the bill for the second callout, or do I just have to 'suck it up' everytime the hairpin fairy decides to pay a visit - or should the PM have been a bit better clued up on the situation and is there anything (other than changing PM) that I can do about it now to recoup costs?

Thanks,
Danielle

"unlikely" is the get out for everyone. Unless the repairer categorically states it was the tenant's fault then the bill is your responsibility. It could just as easily been the contractor who missed the hairpins the first time around.
Marg

This is one of the issues with renting a place with 'stuff' in it.

I've 25 years experience self managing, and we eventually gave up providing 'stuff'. There was one tenant who kept on jamming a communal washing machine pump by leaving coins in pockets. Fortunately machines were easier to self maintain in those days so I could do it myself. Even after 2 dumbed down clear verbal instructions not to do it, it happened several more times until she left. That's the general public for you. Though, she had recently arrived from the Philippines and who knows how much she'd used a washing machine before or her insight into machinery.

"unlikely" is the get out for everyone. Unless the repairer categorically states it was the tenant's fault then the bill is your responsibility. It could just as easily been the contractor who missed the hairpins the first time around.
Marg

So find a repairman who will write what you need him to write.

Problem solved.

Hi Sci72,
Welcome.
I don't get it...Is your PM working for you? At the very least, your PM should send your tenant an email with a copy of the invoice (that states hairpins as the fault) informing them that the second fault with the washing machine was hairpins and that it is their cost, please pay $110 into their trust account by the end of the month.... Followed by an instruction to clear packets before washing her clothes. Her mother probably washed her clothes at home and she probably has no idea. The PM should at least make an attempt to get the money from the tenant, given the unliklihood that pins would have been left after the last repair.
It seems to me that the PM chose the path of least resistance.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie is this game and have been lurking this forum for a while (so very helpful). The situation that's bugged me recently is with a repair to the washing machine. It wouldn't drain, so a contractor was called out, pump replaced - no probs - $225. Then according to my PM, he had to be called out again for the same issue, they found hair pins in the pump, it got cleared, they retested - and that's another $110 thanks. PM said that as we can't prove it was the tenant's fault the second time so can't oncharge them the $110.

So, after a bit of digging and alot of question asking (hair pins? it's a female first time out of home) - it seems that the second callout was made 12 days after the pump was replaced, and according to the contractor (who I contacted directly), having some hair pins from the previous tenant 'hiding' somewhere and being dislodged later to cause the same problem is unlikely as they cleared all the pipes etc the first time (yeah - this was the explanation from the PM :rolleyes:).

So my question is - can I still get the tenant to foot the bill for the second callout, or do I just have to 'suck it up' everytime the hairpin fairy decides to pay a visit - or should the PM have been a bit better clued up on the situation and is there anything (other than changing PM) that I can do about it now to recoup costs?

Thanks,
Danielle

Yes - get the contractor to place the "hair pin" as cause of fault on the invoice and get the full $110 off tenant.

Thanks all for the advice. I have looked at the second invoice again and it clearly states hair pins as being the only problem. I have emailed my PM today explaining the fact and that I expect the tenant to be billed, and also given clear instructions on removing all loose objects from garments prior to placing in machine...we'll see if I'm successful in getting any money back. If the PM doesn't think we can charge her for the second callout then getting her to deduct it from the bond won't happen...might start scouting for a new PM.

Thanks again!
D

Thanks all for the advice. I have looked at the second invoice again and it clearly states hair pins as being the only problem. I have emailed my PM today explaining the fact and that I expect the tenant to be billed, and also given clear instructions on removing all loose objects from garments prior to placing in machine...we'll see if I'm successful in getting any money back. If the PM doesn't think we can charge her for the second callout then getting her to deduct it from the bond won't happen...might start scouting for a new PM.

Thanks again!
D

You should start now anyway - because I have a recent owner having to wait the full 90 days to get out...and his property managers have placed him on ignore mode.

Back