Washing Machine

I had a bosch front loader for 5 years - no problems with it but I HATED it so much - cycles take 90 min and there was no way I was getting in 2 loads a day which meant I had to wash every day - I have now gone back to a top loader ( you can get them without the middle agitator now and very water efficient) and I wash 2- 3 times a wk and do 3 loads in 90 min.

I also had a combi wash dryer too - dryer was not great and it took on average 4 hrs to do a cycle of washing / drying - I dont call that energy efficient!

I dont call that energy efficient!

I know what you mean, but at the end of the day it's all about energy and water consumpsion. Check out the stars. ;)

Mind you, many stars are good but if a washer is very water efficient it could be that it does not rinse the clothes properly so you could get skin rashes from coming in contact with washing powder residue.

A washing machine is something we should be happy with so it pays to read the reviews and learn from other people's experience.

We've an ASKO on a fully furnished IP, skipped a beat once and technicians attended at no cost

Tenants are impressed with the machine

If your old one has a mechanical timer on it rather than electronic you might be able to repair it for $1-200 then get years more out of it.

I have one just like it at my student house which has been running for years now and the repair guy tells me I'd be nuts to upgrade it to a computerised one.

Sometimes repairing is as good as recycling...

Unless of course you really want a new one ...

Front loaders are supposed to be very efficient but I score them low for a couple of reasons. The bending over is one. Secondly I am not organised and often add more things to the wash after it has started - can't do that with a front loader.

Lastly, though efficient they are expensive to both buy and repair.

You might have gathered that I am a big fan of keeping stuff simple and not buying stuff for the sake of it.

I have too much stuff as it is ...

We bought a second hand top loader with the manual knobs several years ago (about 6), and have had it repaired once.

In this throw-away society, I think that by keeping appliances that work for longer we are contributing less to the strain on resources to manufacture them, and hence a long term saving to the planet.

I appreciate that the cost of fixing some items is more than the cost of a new one and so on.

You can argue that the water consumption is higher, but we try to only do full loads, use the middle water volume selection, and based on our water southeast water bills our consumption as a family is below what is "average" for our area on their graphs.

We will eventually get a new one, and it will be a top loader for the energy/water aspect.

Back