Washing Machine

Hi, my 12 year old washing machine is about to give up on me any day now. It is the old fashioned type - manual dial, top loader, 7.5 kg and the brand was Hoover. I'm looking at getting a Miele front loader (quality and more efficient - less water and less detergent). Has anyone else recently upgraded ? There are so many to choose from, getting overwhelmed :)

I came here from the UK in 2008, so only understand front loaders. My selection process was remarkably unsophisticated - went to Myer (sale weekend) and chose the one that I could understand how to operate just by looking at it - an Electrolux. My mum's wm back in the UK is all but impossible to fathom out without the book.

Hi Lucia
I have an electrolux that had a really good energy rating even when it is heating the water. I have had it for a few years now and really like it, but I want to get one of those drawers for it to sit on as the bending over can get to you if you do a lot of loads! (OMG that made me sound old!). Make sure you clean the lint thingy regularly or it will stop dead in it's tracks.:)

If your old one has a mechanical timer on it rather than electronic you might be able to repair it for $1-200 then get years more out of it.

I have one just like it at my student house which has been running for years now and the repair guy tells me I'd be nuts to upgrade it to a computerised one.

Sometimes repairing is as good as recycling...

Unless of course you really want a new one ...

Front loaders are supposed to be very efficient but I score them low for a couple of reasons. The bending over is one. Secondly I am not organised and often add more things to the wash after it has started - can't do that with a front loader.

Lastly, though efficient they are expensive to both buy and repair.

You might have gathered that I am a big fan of keeping stuff simple and not buying stuff for the sake of it.

I have too much stuff as it is ...

Last edited:
Top loaders are supposed to be very efficient but I score them low for a couple of reasons. The bending over is one. Secondly I am not organised and often add more things to the wash after it has started - can't do that with a top loader.

Simon.... are you having a senior moment here? I'm sure you meant "front loader" in the above comment :D

Lastly, though efficient they are expensive to both buy and repair.

For many years I had a Asko front loader and it was fabulous. Miele would be similar I guess. When it finally gave up after more than 15 years of constant use, I bought a Bosch. It is good, but I wish I had bought another Asko, as it was easier to work out how to do different loads (probably because I was used to it) and there was no rubber seal which I now have. I prefer the door without the bulky rubber seal.

You will find that with an expensive European front loader, repairs bills are not expensive, because they don't break down :D. The few times I had trouble with my machine it was because coins or nails were in the lint trap which stopped the water being pumped out efficiently and I soon learnt to check it regularly.

For many years I had a Asko front loader and it was fabulous. Miele would be similar I guess. When it finally gave up after more than 15 years of constant use, I bought a Bosch. It is good, but I wish I had bought another Asko, as it was easier to work out how to do different loads (probably because I was used to it) and there was no rubber seal which I now have. I prefer the door without the bulky rubber seal.

You will find that with an expensive European front loader, repairs bills are not expensive, because they don't break down :D. The few times I had trouble with my machine it was because coins or nails were in the lint trap which stopped the water being pumped out efficiently and I soon learnt to check it regularly.

Sorry - my comments were all about Front Loaders :)

top loader

I"m in the mists of fighting a front loader as we speak , I have no idea how to get it to finish once it gets 'unbalanced' in the spin cycle , so have to start from the begining

choice magazine will tell you front loader washes better uses less water and does a better job blah blah blah

My friends will tell you front loaders are the only way to go

Give me a top loader every time and I"m a happy boy !

stuart

I have only ever had front loaders, and never had an "unbalanced" load like I have had with top loaders in holiday units.

I'm baffled as to how it can happen. What brand is your front loader Stuart?

The other thing I notice, is that on holidays with top loaders I have used, the clothes come out very wrinkled, (thrashed even :eek: and some shirts ruined completely) which doesn't happen with my front loader. Front loaders cut out a LOT of ironing.

I'm going to upgrade soon; and going through my due diligence at the moment. Have narrowed it down to this frontloader washer dryer combo that retails for around 1k. It's 8kg washer, 4kg condenser dryer (& hence doesn't blow steam into the room), 1200 RPM spins, 4 & 3 star ratings for elec + water and 2year warranty. I like the idea that on wet days I can put dry dirty clothes in and clean dried clothes come out.

Front-loader so that I am able to renote the laundry and have the option of benchtop with washing machine under it ... and combo to save space (== couple of extra cupboards where the current wall hung dryer resides).

Don't have the brand/model name handy (it's at home). Will try to dig it up and post later.

update: models I was looking at Electrolux EWW1273 7.0kg/3.5kg and LG WD14030RD 8.5kg/4.5kg

Last edited:
Hi Lucia,

I have had a Miele frontloader along the condenser dryer and highly recommend them, worth the extra expense imo. As mentioned being European they are unlikely to break down and should last for many years. Just be prepared that the wash cycles take hours!

I know a few people with Asko's who are also happy.

Good luck

Some wash cycles do take a long time but the Bosch machine cycle I genereally use takes 46 minutes usung cold water. Warm water takes it to 56 minutes. The asko was similar.

I do know some cycles are over 60 minutes but I don't use them.

Thank You

Thank you kindly for all your responses.

I have a lot more homework to do. All my life I've had a top loader and I keep hearing rave reviews about front loaders. I could get my toploader fixed (again) but I'm ready for a new one. I want a machine to do my handwashing, I'm so over it. My toploader can't do my handwashing. Plus, there is less IRONING, now this would be heaven for me :)

I hear wonderful things about Miele, I will check out Asko (it's the first time I've heard this brand) and thank you tdh78au for sharing the model you are looking at. Will check it out to.

I've been reading this forum for a while now and it's weird my first post is about washing machines :)

Hi

My brother in Sydney has just upgraded to a 6.5 kg Bosch Maxx Classic front loader after the Simpson top loader died after 18 years of service. The Bosch is quieter, uses less water and does not seem to be so hard on clothes. It has a water rating of 4.5 stars and an energy rating of 4 stars. He ordered it through Appliances on Line on a Tuesday and it was delivered and installed the following day and they took the old Simpson away.

annE:):):) (presently in Sydney)

I hear wonderful things about Miele, I will check out Asko (it's the first time I've heard this brand) and thank you tdh78au for sharing the model you are looking at. Will check it out to.

Asko is a Swedish brand. The washing machines have a great suspended spring system for the cylinder and because they have no rubber deal, it cannot degrade over time & cause leaks out the front. Which is what our old front loader did. We chose an Asko washer & condensor dryer last year. There is a lot less ironing than with my old dryer and the towels are fluffy! Apparently Asko make fab dishwashers too, so we've just bought one (yet to be delivered).

Miele - nans got one and its terrific - not one issue after approx 10years so far.

if you can't afford that then...

Bosch - we have one, same boat as Miele, just not built as good (more plastic feel) just make sure it's a made in Germany one

on the condenser dryer bit, you might want to do some more research on the water and energy use on these ones..............I could be wrong, but I recall that bit isnt part of the efficiency rating of the combo machines ?

Our WP fl is only 8 years old and is on the way lut, BUT does 15 loads a week .......

Previously had a Siemens ( similar to Miele) got almost 20 years out of it with a bearing rebuild and some new "shocks"

Im told that Miele has a 20 year warranty ?? if thats the case then the extra cost may be well worth it , im yet to investigate

Choice has done a good recent comparo of washers, check it out

tarolf

Secondly I am not organised and often add more things to the wash after it has started - can't do that with a front loader....

Yes you can, it depends on the brand.
We use Miele these days and won't go back to clothes destroyers...:eek:

Has anyone else recently upgraded ? There are so many to choose from, getting overwhelmed :)

Buy a front loader with 5 star Water efficiency (watch the sticker with the blue stars) and you'll get a $150 rebate from the NSW gov.
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/rebates/ccfwmr.htm

My brother went for a Fisher and Paykel top loader and didn't get a rebate.
He wanted top loader due to a tight spot in his Laundry

IMO None of the top loaders are any good but choice magazine have a couple as being better that others.
Here is what my brother bought recently.
The reviews are so so but there isn't much choice on large & reliable top loaders
http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=16501

and whatever you do don't buy this LG
http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=71664

update: models I was looking at Electrolux EWW1273 7.0kg/3.5kg and LG WD14030RD 8.5kg/4.5kg

Hi all
I am also looking at either LG or Electrolux washer dryer combination units for my 1st IP...i havent heard good things about them regarding R&M but unfortunately the IP does not have space in the bathroom, nor space for dry hanging & there is no shared laundry in the building either :(

has anyone else bought these combined units??

i understand its not as water efficient as separate units & can not do a full load in a dry cycle

the property managers are saying its best to have both washer & dryer
but im concerned with repairs & maintenance

help! :confused:

im concerned with repairs & maintenance

Then buy a reputable brand like Miele, Bosch etc
If you are going for a cheap one then IMO go for localy made, they are more likely to have better support and spare parts should be cheaper as well.

Cheap doesn't mean unreliable (but think about extended warranty).
Some models will be more reliable than others.
Find out the model number of the washing machine you want to buy and do a search to see the reviews
http://www.productreview.com.au

Back