Water bills

Do you guys pay the water bills for the tenant or they pay it? I have been paying all the water bills and just found out the tenancy site it states:

If the property has its own meter, you must:

Pay for water consumption and
(in the Melbourne metropolitan area) sewage disposal, unless your landlord has agreed to pay these charges.

So does that mean the tenant is responsible for all the water bills? Am I able to deduct the whole year water bills from the tenant's bond when they move out?

Yes they pay all water usage and supply.

No you will not be able to deduct when they move out. If they have not been receiving regular water invoices for reimbursement throughout the year, you can't hit them with it all at once. They will have a strong case to challenge it.

If your pm receives your water invoices, recouping from tenants is a standard in house routine procedure.
How was it missed?

Do you guys pay the water bills for the tenant or they pay it? I have been paying all the water bills and just found out the tenancy site it states:

So does that mean the tenant is responsible for all the water bills? Am I able to deduct the whole year water bills from the tenant's bond when they move out?

Is this in Victoria? Do they have separate meters for water or is it an older unit that has shared water meters?

If shared, you pay it all as landlord. Supply and usage.

Is this in Victoria? Do they have separate meters for water or is it an older unit that has shared water meters?

If shared, you pay it all as landlord. Supply and usage.

Correct. Tenant pays usage only for water and sewerage disposal in Victoria.

If there is no separate meter then the usage and supply charges for both are paid by landlord.
Usually your agent will set up the tenants water account for usage. It is the agent or owners responsibility to ensure this is done at the start if a tenancy.

Back