Water Damage Prior to Settlement

Hi Guys,

I have today been informed by the selling agent of the property we just purchased in North Melbourne that there was some water damage caused by a leaking pipe to our property. I only found this out after making a call to him to arrange an inspection so we could measure some of the internal spaces. This is the first we've heard of it and apparently this was reported by the tenant who has now moved out. Silly me forgot to take some photos whilst I was there also!

Basically, I've been told that there was a leaking pipe on the 2nd level. I suspect this may have been caused from the shower/bathroom above. In order to fix they have had to remove some of the ceiling plaster, so at the moment there is a large hole in the 2nd bedroom ceiling! There is also some evidence of water damage down the walls in the corner where the walls join.

I've been told by the Agent that the Vendor is aware and is in the process of getting this fixed. I'm extremely worried as 1) I want to ensure that the repairs are done correctly, 2) all necessary repairs required are fully carried out, not just a covered-up to settle and 3) the problem is fixed properly now so to not reoccur later down the track.

This is my first water damage issue so I'm not sure what I should be doing, what should be happening, what I need to find out, how severe this is and whether this problem can turn into something very very major!

As yet we are yet to settle and settlement per the contract is due 10/02.

HELP! :(

Last edited:
Schmick, it sounds like the property is in a complex, in which case the repairs will be undertaken by the Body Corporate, not the seller. In that case, they will not be the "fix up" that is concerning you. Hope that helps
Regards

Thanks for your reply Peterw.

An update on the situation.

I contacted the plumber today to have a chat to him about what exactly the problem was. Whilst it took them a while to find the source of the leak, it seems as though the issue was the silicon that was sealing the drain pipe (on both ends?) had failed and that the actual drainage was not running the right way.

So basically, they resealed the pipe and also the way the water was draining. He informed me we shouldn't have any more problems with it and to just lift the grate every six months or so to ensure there isn't any hair or anything stuck in there as he also had to remove some waste which was caught.

The Plumber is the nominated plumber for the building and he informed me that this seems like an isolated case as he hasn't encountered a similar problem in any of the other units in the complex. I understand the tenant located the problem only recently (having lived there and used the shower since her tenancy began in Jan 09) and immediately stopped using the shower following.

In regards to whether this is a Body Corporate issue or not, I was informed by the Property Manager that the cost of repair will actually be paid by the Vendor as it's not a BC issue.

And that's about it in a nutshell. My main concern was whether or not the leak was actually the tiled shower floor having not been sealed/waterproofed properly so that's a relief, but I guess only time will tell as to whether the problem is actually fixed.

Not sure what else I can do to be honest...

Trench drains are the correct terminology I believe for the fancy drainage system we have in our new ensuite bathroom.

Anybody else got any experience with these in a residential dwelling?

Architects love them.

And they do look good.

But yes, they can be a problem. The fall in the trench is usually very slight (and in your case running the wrong way), so hair and suff can build up. It's easy to lift the cover once a month or so and clean it out.

Architects love them.

And they do look good.

But yes, they can be a problem. The fall in the trench is usually very slight (and in your case running the wrong way), so hair and suff can build up. It's easy to lift the cover once a month or so and clean it out.

Thanks for the feedback depreciator...

Did some research, trench drain units are quite expensive... But agree, they do look good... I just hope the 'look' factor isn't going to be more of a headache than there worth! I'll ensure we keep an eye on the debris issue from here on in...

Here's a pic... :D

Attachments

• 106095953el1256520526.jpg
    106095953el1256520526.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 140
Went and had a look at the repairs to the damaged ceiling today, attached is the result of the repair work! :eek: The photos don't really do it justice to be honest.

My GF and I pretty much came home and cried! The repair is definitely of a poor standard, rough, some parts just painted over! Not to mention sanding dust all throughout the apartment! Evidence of the water damage clearly visible.

Settlement is due Wednesday next week at 2pm... Not sure what to do!

Apparently the Real Estate agent is going to chaise up the Painter/Plasterer to have it rectified, but I'm not sure I'm convinced...

We're stressed out and saddened about this hiccup. Our previous purchase went a lot smoother. Starting to have doubts in my mind that we've made a huge mistake with this one... :(

Attachments

• IMG_6339.jpg
    IMG_6339.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_6340.jpg
    IMG_6340.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6341.jpg
    IMG_6341.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 95
Let your conveyancing legal eagles know - so they can propose an adjustment at settlement. Heaps better to have it happen now than a day after settlement!! :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Let your conveyancing legal eagles know - so they can propose an adjustment at settlement. Heaps better to have it happen now than a day after settlement!! :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Y-Man,

Good idea... I'm assuming when you mean adjustment you mean a reduction in price? I know it will cost at least $240 to clean but no idea how much to allow for the walls... Maybe they will need to be completely replaced?

I don't think I'll have time to hire a T/P to investigate and quote.

Well as you guys may have read we settled at 2pm on Wednesday.

In regards to the damage, we tried to withhold $2,000 in order to repair the plaster, repaint and clean, however, that did not fly. It wasn't until the death when the agent called to let me know they had engaged a professional plasterer, independent of who did the initial botched job (Painter) to repair the work. Funnily enough, he was quick smart to call our Solicitor to let them know. I have a feeling the Vendor went off at them for botching the job in the first place which he paid for!

Anyhow, went and inspected the work on Wednesday evening, the plaster was a much better job. Painter came through yesterday to repaint, went and had a look last night... and OH DEAR!

It was under lights though but it looks as though they've painted the walls/ceiling the wrong colour, not to mention they painted over skirting which was originally in a gloss paint with the same colour as the wall/ceiling! :mad:

HOW HARD IS IT! SERIOUSLY! Is it just that there are no competent tradesman these days or is it just laziness?

Unfortunately, don't know if we are going to have any way to have this rectified now because we've now taken 'ownership' of the unit! GRR...

Why is this all happening to us? Feel so depressed. Maybe I'm being to anal? :(

Back