Water feature - downside

My nice formal entry with new water feature has been hijacked by bernice the brown snake, any ideas on how to pursuade this reptile that the water feature is not there for her benefit.
I would prefer not using lethal force ( there would be one to take its place anyway), and I am not going to remove the pond.
On the plus side it certainly makes entering and leaving the house a thrill seeking experience (maybe I could sell tickets).
Any remedies on repelling snakes would be appreciated.
Regards Adam

I'd call Steve Irwin out with his son, they may make an epsiode out of it... (only kidding)

Is it worth calling your local RSPCA, shire/council or Animal rescue to see what they would suggest &/or what service they could offer? you may find that they may remove the reptile humainley & relocated it OR use it somewhere???

Good luck with this...

Cheers,

MannyB.

There's a facts sheet on http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre/factsheets/factsheet.php/Snakes.htm which covers a lot about sharing a garden with snakes.

fwiw, it icnludes the advice
Most capital cities of Australia have organised groups or businesses that will respond to property owners' concerns about the presence of a snake. In some states or regional centres, staff of the government fauna agency may attend or offer advice.

The cost of a callout by a private operator can vary considerably from one place to another, and even within the same city. Some herpetologists from a reptile society may be willing to attend for a nominal charge. Ask your state museum or fauna agency for details.
I'd check out your local National Parks and Wildlife people too.

Have a look in the phone book under snakehandlers, or try you local national parks and wildlife.

They have traps that they can set to catch these slippery little suckers, then release them into the wild.

If that fails, just ring your local council - they'll have a number.

BUNDY

The other option is to call your local Herpetological society.

There's usually quite a number of ppl there who are very versed at handling all manner of snakes, and would be only too happy to come and help you rehome berneice.

They would usually take her to somewhere nearby and release her.

Every Herp I have ever known has been short of cash, it sorta comes with the keeping animals as a hobby thing... Offer them some $$ or a case of beer, and voilois, snakelessness!

hope this helps,

asy :D

Have a look here!
http://www.snakehandler.com.au/house/snakecatchers_list.html

Oooh, now that my brain is working, Last time I was talking to my sister (who lives in ADL) she said something about being on the Adelaide Herp Society committee...

Drop me an email and I will forward it to her, see if she knows anyone who could help you.

Adam ,
Wait until you've been bitten by little brown bernice ...you will feel very different about the use of lethal force ...believe me.

If it is really a true brown snake ...GET RID OF IT !

LL

PS. If bitten , two days in intensive care usually does it ...that's if you get there in time .....and if they get the right anti-venene to you in time . Lot's of fun mate !!!

Hi all,

We live in the bush and there are all types of snakes here. If you want to get rid of the snake, get a cat. They don't like each other, and a cat is too quick for a snake. Though cats do get bitten, usually after they have been playing with the snake and turn their back to it.

Because we have a house cat, there are no snakes near the house. It is 2 years old. The previous cat we had was here for 10 years and had to be put down due to diabetes in old age(we didn't know how old it was). Before the cats, lots of snakes, now almost never see them near the house, but there are plenty out in the bush.

bye

Adaran,

Please DON'T get a cat.

Not if you are going to be irresponsible and let it roam outside.

They don't only 'play' with snakes...

They also 'play' with birds, lizards, marsupials, and other fauna.

Get rid of berniece, by all means, and if she's threatening your family, lethal force may be necessary...

But don't condemn your local wildlife to 10 or more years of roving terror, please.

Hi all,

Asy, we put a little bell on the cats collar and have plenty of small birds in the garden. We often watch the little flock of blue wrens darting about only metres from the house and pond. Remember there are cats out there anyway(plenty of feral ones in the bush around here). Isn't it better to keep some control over the cat anyway(ours is indoors most of the time)

The problem for Adaran is that he feels that Bernice will be replaced by another reptile anyway.

bye

Hiya Bill,

I understand what you are saying, and I really hope you didn't take what I said as anything against you...

I once knew a cat who had 9 bells on his collar, that's right nine, and they all worked, and they were of varying varieties, and he still managed to catch birds and lizards. (he wasn't mine, there was nothing I could do about it :( )

I know there are lots of feral cats out there, and they all need a little lead implant behind their ear... from a .22

Sorry to be politically incorrect.

I'm just saying don't add to the problem.

And before anyone says I hate cats, I don't, I have one (one left, peaked at 24 including kittens at one stage...). She lives in a cattery, and comes inside to play with the kids when they are home. And I used to breed Siamese, and Burmese.

Well the good news is I have not seen it in 2 days, I make sure I step heavily before going up the stairs, as far as getting a snake handler to remove it, several weeks ago I saw 5 different snakes around the house in 1 week so I think that I would be fighting a loosing battle.
All but one I have seen are definitely brown snakes and have ranged from about 40cm up to about 1.5 m, I have nearly stepped on 1 that was sunning itself on the kitchen step. (I will post some photos if I can find them)
Because of the contact I have had lately with them I did a little bit of research on the internet, and it frightened me a bit, I have a bandage and mobile phone handy, and it seems thats about all I can do.

Several years ago at the same house I was removing a dead possum from the wall, a snake must have entered from the hole, and as I was walking through a doorway inside the house a brown snake was passing through the same doorway, it was luck that I did not step on it , I was amazed that it did not bite me. As I passed it and then realised what it was, the snake raised its head to strike (bit like a cobra) but I was at least 3 metres away by then and continued to walk away from it, I then removed the snake (about a metre long) with my pool scoop. It bit the pool scoop many times and was not happy, but thankfully was out of the house.

I was hoping that someone might be able to say just place some salt crystals or basil around the house snakes won't come near it, but I suppose problems like this are never that easily solved.

Hi adaran

I reckon if you play the Adelaide Crows club song over and over, that should be enough to keep away any self respecting snake.:p

GarryK

Someone once told me that snakes do not like to crawl on a prickly surface like bluemetal crusherdust. Don't know if it is true or not but by your snake photo, the straw mulch and paving, looks ideal snake heaven. Removing anything where a snake can hide and perhaps leaving water on the outer boundary of your property will suffice to give a snake somewhere to drink and then move on to somewhere else with better cover.

adaran01,

We also have a problem with snakes at my workplace in Coolangatta. We contacted a snake catcher who left a snake catching device (special box) near the rear drain and our rear stairs. Apparently the snakes are attracted to it and once inside, are unable to get out. They then check on the box every couple of days and when they catch a snake, take it away.

Generally, if you have one snake, you have a few, particularly if it is breeding season. You'll need them to catch all of the suckers.

Cheers
BUNDY

I think playing the crow's song over and over again should work because snakes are slimy, disgusting and untrustworhty creatures - they must be Collingwood supporters :D :D :D

Chalk one up for the good guys, Garry K ;)

Seriously now, where in Adelaide is this house, as soon as you get the snake problem solved I'd love to have a look :)

Hello Biltzkrieg
If you or anyone else from adelaide wants to have a look at the place email me at [email protected] and I can tee up a time.
Just put Adam in the emails subject, and it will be passed on to me.
It may take me a couple of days to reply as I don't spend alot of time on the pc these days.

Back