Water Tanks

Goodmorning All,

I know new houses come with water tanks by law, well some of them in QLD are by law, not sure about all of Australia?.

Anyways, I was looking into installing a 15,000 litre water tank off the side of my shed to help top up the pool and water the grass etc, 1.5 acre block.

But when I looked at the price of water, per 1000 litres, compared to the price to purchase a tank ($2200) which doesnt attract a rebate now I think, then do a slab myself ($300) and buy a pump I am looking at around $3k.

$3k parked in an offset at 7% saves $210 in the first year alone (thats a lot of water) and higher compounded savings each year after that. On top of that, I have to pay electricity to run the pump to get the water out any time I want it. So the water price may go up, but so will the electricity anyways.

Water is only 20c per KL so really, why would I bother??? Anyone else look into this?

Anyways, I was looking into installing a 15,000 litre water tank off the side of my shed to help top up the pool and water the grass etc, 1.5 acre block.

Water is only 20c per KL so really, why would I bother??? Anyone else look into this?

I can't see why you would bother for the grass or pool.

Grass takes a lot of water. 15,000 litres over .6 hectares is 2.5 mills. It would do nothing. Best way to save topping up a pool is with a pool cover. I cover my pool all the time and water has to be pumped out. I never put water in.

Have you ever showered in rainwater or drunk it? Put in 50,000 litres of tanks and plum your house up, and put the crap town water down the toilet where it belongs and on the garden and it will be worth it.

See ya's.

Last edited:
We're getting a 22,000L rainwater tank in our new house - and yes, the main reason is we want it is for the SHOWER, and probably the washing machine too. Rainwater showers are lovely. No point flushing the stuff down the loo, what a waste.

We were on pure rainwater before we moved here, we were worried how much water cost since there's all this hoo-hah about water restrictions ... but then the bills came in and town water is so mindbogglingly CHEAP there is absolutely no incentive to conserve it.

I can't see why you would bother for the grass or pool.

Grass takes a lot of water. 15,000 litres over .6 hectares is 2.5 mills. It would do nothing. Best way to save topping up a pool is with a pool cover. I cover my pool all the time and water has to be pumped out. I never put water in.

Certainly wouldnt be watering the whole yard, would more so just be if I needed it for sections of the yard, or to wash cars and the pool etc. But yeah, a pool cover is something I will get.

but then the bills came in and town water is so mindbogglingly CHEAP there is absolutely no incentive to conserve it.

At 20 cents per 1000 litres a large tank even 15000 litres in size would be holding a massive $3 worth of water. Yippee. Would almost cost more than $3 to pump it out I'd think.

What sort of tank would you put in ? I presume you are looking at plastic and there are several types of these etc .

I was thinking of putting a larger one on my own house and wondered about those low set colourbond ones which I think look quite snappy . I see some of those even have their own catchment /guttering etc . What do ya reckon ?

I Also might look into a concrete one . I guess they all have their advantages...

I'm in Vic and my water is not so cheap .

My apologies, I must have been thinking about the price of electricity for the $0.20. Water is actually $2.24 per KL on my latest rates bill.

But still, with a water tank holding even 50KL you would want to use it quite a bit to get the value out of it, for things such as those said, the shower and washing etc.

What sort of tank would you put in ? I presume you are looking at plastic and there are several types of these etc .

I'm in Vic and my water is not so cheap .

Yeah the plastic ones, just one off ebay. They are coming down in price since not many people are buying them, other than new homes, without the rebate.

Our water usage bill sits around $20 per quarter here, plus the supply charge and the save the murray levy.

That rebate was silly anyway. I bought 4 tanks after the rebate came in. First one we couldn't get a rebate because we weren't SAWater customers, then we they changed the rules and we still didn't for the others because it was only a $200 rebate for second and subsequent tanks and only if a plumber did it - plumbers cost $100's but a tank costs like $20 to install once you've already got the house plumbed up for rainwater. And I sincerely doubt we'll get anything for the big one at the new house, we're certainly not getting rebates for the insulation or the solar HWS.

Some polly once promised a rainwater tank to every house in my old town (very few houses there on mains) but of course it never came through. So there's all these old pensioners there, with rusty old rainwater tanks fed from rusty old rooves, unable to afford new ones, and unable to qualify for the higher rebate as they're already on rainwater.

Water is $50 for 2000L in my old town if you run out. Its worth conserving it there.

I agree with TC , plumb the rainwater up to everything else in the house and just leave the toilet hooked up to the gross tasting town/treated water . You wouldn't regret it IMO .