WATER USAGE etc

Hey all,

Just a couple of questions.

1) I am just about to rent out my property in western sydney and have been told that the tennant will pay for water usage. I pay for the usage in my other IP in Rockhampton so why is thisn different in NSW (if the advice i have been given is correct). Am i thus able to start charging my tennants in Rockhampton for water usage?

2) My new tennants move in next week. Do i disconnect the electricity and gas or do i just get the meter read and close my account (and then the new tennant will open a new one)

Thanks in advance

Dan

In NSW, the property owner pays of the water services charges and the occupant pays for usage if metered.

With regards to gas and electricity, the PM or the property owner should arrange to have the meters of these utilities read on the last date to finalise the occupants final bill.

Both will normally remain connected waiting for another occupants name to commence the cycle again.

As a matter of caution, my PM's turn off power at the box and water and gas at the main whilst vacant.

Dan, in Queensland you can charge your tenants for the water usage (not the fixed access costs) if:

1. Your property has been certified waterwise (water saving devices installed - toilets, taps, shower etc.)

2. If you have specifically noted in the lease that the tenant is responsible for water usage. If it is not in the lease then you will have to wait for the next renewal.

It cost us around $250 to get one IP to do a few modifications and then be certified by a plumber, but since then we have recouped over $700 in water usage costs and the benefits will be ongoing.

Certainly worth while.
Marg

Dan, in Queensland you can charge your tenants for the water usage (not the fixed access costs) if:

1. Your property has been certified waterwise (water saving devices installed - toilets, taps, shower etc.)

2. If you have specifically noted in the lease that the tenant is responsible for water usage. If it is not in the lease then you will have to wait for the next renewal.

It cost us around $250 to get one IP to do a few modifications and then be certified by a plumber, but since then we have recouped over $700 in water usage costs and the benefits will be ongoing.

Certainly worth while.
Marg

Without going back and having a look at my agreements, you can still charge for water consumption to the tennat even if you don't have water wise devices installed.

The owner will pay for all fixed cost and a 'fair and reasonable' amont of water consumption.

For a 3 bedder, this worked out to 73kl per quarter. (i.e. 200l/day/person * 4 people * 91 days)

Most water conscious tenants wouldn't be paying for consumption, but I had a tenant who must of left the taps running, and it was way above the government targeted use, and hence, she was charged the difference.

It is better and easier though, to get the plumber out and get him / her to first test, and if required install filters to reduces the discharge rate of your taps / toilets.

F

Without going back and having a look at my agreements, you can still charge for water consumption to the tennat even if you don't have water wise devices installed.

The owner will pay for all fixed cost and a 'fair and reasonable' amont of water consumption.

Fraid not, whilst you may get away with this, if the tenant objects to the REIQ you will be faced with paying back the amounts collected.
A.

Under the present Queensland leglislation, you cannot charge a tenant for water usage unless your property has been certified as water efficient. On one IP it cost us around $250 to comply, but we have recouped over $700 from the tenant - so far.
Marg

Our recent water bill from the IP was over 250kl usage :eek: Nearly fainted.

But found out the toilet was constantly running (like a running tap - not just dripping), so im sure this added to the usage. Couldnt charge the tenants excess because of this.

As Marg said, its a great idea to get everything checked & certified. The cost will be recouped in no time.

Under Qld rules, you can collect "excess" water charges on non compliant properties, provided you have a clause to this effect in the lease document. For some properties, the cost to make them water compliant can be quite expensive. Get a quote from a plumber first, then decide.

Under Qld rules, you can collect "excess" water charges on non compliant properties, provided you have a clause to this effect in the lease document. For some properties, the cost to make them water compliant can be quite expensive. Get a quote from a plumber first, then decide.

Yep, Agree, and this is what had happened.

F

Have collected excess water charges in the past in QLD property. Tenants had family from overseas over for about 2 months. Didn't find out til the water bill arrived :mad:

Looking at the RTA website for Qld my understanding would be that you are not allowed to pass on the full amount for excess water charges to the tenant if the property is not water efficient. In the case where the property is not water efficient but it is specified in the tenancy agreement then the landlord and tenant need to come to an agreement as to a reasonable amount of the cost of excess which the landlord will be liable for. From the RTA site:

What are the minimum criteria for water charging?
Lessors(Landlords) will be able to pass on the full water consumption costs to tenants if:
  • the rental premises are individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle), and
  • the rental premises are water efficient, and
  • the tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption.

water_flow_chart.gif

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/water_charging_1.cfm

Looking at the RTA website for Qld my understanding would be that you are not allowed to pass on the full amount for excess water charges to the tenant if the property is not water efficient.

Correct, You can't, just an agreed excess over a certain amount.

In the case where the property is not water efficient but it is specified in the tenancy agreement then the landlord and tenant need to come to an agreement as to a reasonable amount of the cost of excess which the landlord will be liable for. From the RTA site

Correct.

F

Back