Water usage in Vic rental

Sounds like you have an evaporative system it will flush water for about 5 mins when it first starts to cool the unit. After that it only is supposed to flush every couple hours to dump salty water buildup.

If its a breezeair they have a really poor design on the "solenoid" that does this. Two micro switches worth a couple bucks die so they charge you $300 for a new valve. When it dies it continuously flushes water and the unit after about 10mins comes up with a service 2 fault.

Oooo thank you Doovalacky! I will check when we start using it again how often the water flushes. We have a bonaire so hoping thats better than breezeair :)

Doovalacky - you are a wealth of knowledge! That is certainly information that I will retain!

I'm a jack of all trades sparky.
But that knowledge was earnt the hard way. I have a breezeair on the rental and it had that exact fault. I knew it was the solenoid so I brought a new one before pulling apart the unit as was time limited.
Thought at $300 it was some stainless wonder valve.
Should have heard me up on the roof when I opened the box and took the plastic cover off the replacement. :(

As for the water guzzling tenants, nope I think the kids had a day long pool in the bathroom.

Update:

I applied to the Energy and Water Ombudsman via their web site. They contacted me within 48 hours. I discussed my issue with the EWO rep (I wasn’t hot headed or aggressive about anything) just explained everything to them as clear as I could, they seemed to understand and they asked me what they would like to do for me. I took their option for them to contact the water company to respond to my request within 48 hours.

24 hours later a very nice lady from the Water company appologised and noted the 2 letters I had written to them and to leave everything with her and she will fix it up for me…bless her heart – such a pleasure to deal with. :)

Basically - the way I go about these issues is to make sure I have all the relevant facts noted and documented so that anyone that needs to make a decision about anything with regards to the issue at hand are greatly assisted with the facts. This has served me well with big ticket items when matters have to be decided by VCAT or the courts etc.

wombat

Well done Wombat! I'm pleased to hear that you have come out of your battle with the water company relatively unscathed :). Did they end up billing the tenant?

Back