Ways to save money

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/managing-your-money/saving

Pretty good tools/info despite it being a government site.

Some things I've found to save money-

*Look at the small things that's everyday like a coffee, if you're spending say $4/day on coffee thats $120/month etc

*Shopping at Aldi rather than Woolies/Coles shaved about 10-20% off the groceries weekly

*Internet/phone plans- Look at ISP's every year or so, often the plan you're on is a lot cheaper now

*Claim your lost super...

*Do an income/cost expenses and look at spending leaks

I was going to suggest, just put it on the credit card, but I see that's out:p

If you have a spare room rent it out to a student. My mother's g/friend was retired and did this for quite some time and saved enough money for a deposit on a property for her daughter. Great stuff.

I'm the opposite.
I empty my change into a container every night, and then every morning I take a handful.
Whenever possible, I use the coins first, and try not to cash a bill.
It seems, once cashed...it's gone.

Yep. I do that. I can't see the point in saving coins because you just spend more notes.

Do not be a school teacher.

That way you can take your holidays during school term for half the price they cost in the school holidays.

Yes I had that problem. Solution- get your husband to get a job at QANTAS.That way you get all the holidays AND cheap airfares. :D

I hate shopping. That saves heaps as I don't buy stuff. The only time I actually buy something for myself is when I hit the shops to buy Christmas presents.

Wow! Some great ideas here. I already have a budget but I wanted to see where else I can trim the fat to save even more.

Thanks for sharing your ideas :):)

Take advantage of store specials.

We have been looking for a new lawn tractor.

The store was having a sale, and if we applied (instant approval, to qualified buyers) for their store card, we could either have 10% off or 18 months interest free.

The cheapest one available in our town was $1600.
We rented a trailer, drove an hour to the city, and saved $700.
It came with 4 years warranty

Since it is for our IP, tax deductible too :)

I use the Money Wise app (pro version) on my phone to track everything I spend. Handy for when I want to give myself a mental pat on the back when I stick to my budget and don't spend, and brilliant at making me think twice for impulse buys that I don't need seeing as I will have to bother inputting it, and see it affect my weekly percentages. Also very interesting to see the peaks and trends in spending/bill fluctuations.
This, combined with my excel spreadsheet where I can anticipate upcoming bigger expenses has really helped with paying down consumer debt whilst living on a full time uni-student budget. (I know there have been some great threads over the years with examples of excel budget spreadsheets if you wanted some ideas).

Purchase in bulk at the supermarket. At Woolworths go for the homebrand or the woolworths "select". The food tastes the same but at half the price. Cook in bulk and freeze for the week. Drive an old Jap car. Go without television. Wear clothes for ten years at least. Avoid overseas travel unless tax deductible.

china;1069924Avoid overseas travel unless tax deductible.[/QUOTE said:
But if it is tax deductible, travel first class- even if it still costs you four times as much after tax as cattle class ;-)

If you struggle a bit with the discipline to save money yourself, one piece of advice I have is to not claim the tax free threshold. Forced savings through PAYG really adds up and potential for a nice lump sum at end of FY. :)

Sounds like one of those river cruises that are ~$8000 but you do get "free" flights.

You have to do the river cruise plus any extra trips to make 21 days or more of travel. It's about $8000 per person for 21 days with Evergreen, the budget subsidiary of Scenic in steerage class. We have a small window in our cabin instead of a huge window.

Yes, we could arrange to get ourselves around Europe without a travel guide and "transfers", but I want a HOLIDAY, no getting to the train station at 6am or midnight. We are taking an elderly relative so relaxing geriatric travel it will have to be. We will do the whole backpacker thing, drive ourselves when we have more time to be away.

Back