We had an interesting Day

We had an interesting day yesterday.

background:
About 3 weeks ago, our new tenants of 6 weeks, gave their "notice".
On a Fixed term Lease, (in Canada) there are only a couple of ways a tenant can break a lease. One of them is by getting a doctor's note.Their lease doesn't end until June 2015.

So they attempted to go the doctor's note route, but they didn't do it legally.She is newly pregnant, lots of morning sickness, and says she can't stand the smell in the mobile. She has stopped cleaning, and they are leaving at the end of July.

Doesn't matter to us....we started advertising and made appointments to show the property. We just assumed if they want to be released from their lease, they would have the property presentable.
We took 3 applicants through, ( in the period of 2 days) and they were disgusted by the state of the property. When we opened up the closet doors where the washer and dryer hookups are, it is overflowing with garbage. (there is a utility shed they could store the garbage)
Dirty dishes are all over the kitchen and lounge room.
Dirty clothes all over the property..up and down all the hallways, bathroom, kitchen, lounge room spare bedrooms..everywhere.

Outside they have a used mattress leaning up against the patio.Garbage strewn all over the lawns.The lawn hasn't been mown since before they moved in (it was now about 12-18" high). The utility shed is also full of garbage, but those bags are ripped open, and the decomposing contents are everywhere.
The garbage bin by the end of the driveway is fallen over, contents spilled out, and flying around.

Our obligation is to try to mitigate our losses.We held up our end by advertising and starting to show the property.After the applicants reaction, we inform the tenants we are not showing it until they vacate.
We receive an email they will be out at midnight on 31 July.I even speak with her in person, at the property on the 31st, and she says she will leave her key, and her partner will return it the next morning, to leave his key.

We and our hired handyman arrive the next day.The place is a mess. Broken furniture is abandoned.The mattress has been hidden behind the property.The garbage is still where it was left.
We have hired a trailer, and all the garbage is removed and taken to the dump.By the end of the day, the place is all cleaned, lawn mowed, looks pretty good.Locks were changed, and a note on the door stating this.
A 'For Rent' sign is posted on the inside window.

The first day of the month is rent day, and so we deposited their cheque, as their lease is not legally terminated.

Yesterday, I received a phone call from the male tenant, demanding to know why we deposited the cheque....that was when we found out it actually cleared...that was really unexpected :)
That was also when we found out he was inside the property, and stated "one way or another I will get the money you owe me"
We called the RCMP, and told them a B&E was happening right now.They said if we get there first, to remain in our car and wait.

We arrived and he was gone, but the front door was kicked in. The windows we had stored on the floor inside was kicked and smashed.( we were replacing a window in the property next door) The closet door was ripped off, along with the master bedroom door. The towel bar in the bathroom was broken off the wall. The brand new fridge had its door kicked, so it wouldn't close (Rob was able to repair this), and the For Rent sign was ripped out of the window.

RCMP arrive. The tenant actually called as we were talking with the RCMP. It was on speaker phone, and the RCMP was recording the phone call, but he was watching us from somewhere, because he was playing dumb when asked why he broke in. Anyway, we gave them a copy of their applications, with all their info on it.

During the clean up, I found their lease from their previous rental. It started 15 Jan,2014 and was supposed to be for a year. I called the landlord and we had a chat. I offered any help they needed, if they wanted to take them to court. He told me his story. The tenants left the place in a pigsty, and what looked like oil that was dumped in the bathtub (WD40 type). They also left under the 'it smells in here, and we need to leave'.
They then went to another property for 6 weeks, and then to ours. So in 8 months, they are their 4th rental.

Hmmm..I wonder if they put a stop payment on next months rent.....

So all this damage will be added onto their bill.
Just wondering what the condition of the property will be when we attend today.

being a landlord is never boring :)

The joys of a slumlord :)

Whats the rules over there in terms of dumping their belongings and having a higher cleanup bill than their bond?

Do they not do tenant reference/background checks?

Very similar to yours.
We are permitted to dump anything that is unsanitary, and anything of any value we are supposed to store for 60 days.

We got tired of storing tenant crap.
If they didn't think it was valuable enough to take with them, why should we store it.

So...we started adding a clause in their lease.
They give us permission to dispose of everything that is left behind, after the vacate.
Problem solved.

Our bond is only permitted to be equal to 1/2 months rent.
If there is outstanding charges, we must have a hearing, and request it.
As long as we have receipts, and pictures, we are awarded it.

Background checks are rarely done.
basically, it is too difficult.
We do not have a database to check with, because no body uses them.
On occassion landlords with try to band together, and it lasts for a few months.

Tenants have so many places to pick from, if we waited for the 'perfect tenant' we would be bankrupt, from vacancies.
It is cheaper to buy here, than rent, so our renting pool of applicants are all sketchy...because of credit problems.

All we can usually do is cross our fingers, and collect thru the Sheriff, if things go wrong.

She is newly pregnant, lots of morning sickness, and says she can't stand the smell in the mobile.

Some (but not all) pregnant women go thru unbelievable hell when suffering from morning sickness. It's no wonder she cannot keep the place clean - the constant dry retching, nausea and dizziness stops her from functioning.

All we can usually do is cross our fingers, and collect thru the Sheriff, if things go wrong.

Open your heart a bit. Taking her to the Sheriff does sound a little mean. How would you feel if someone did that to your daughter? You might win, but its bad karma you are generating; it won't earn you much respect.

You signed up to be a slumlord and thems the breaks. As you know, its the detritus of society that rents. What do you expect?

Some (but not all) pregnant women go thru unbelievable hell when suffering from morning sickness. It's no wonder she cannot keep the place clean - the constant dry retching, nausea and dizziness stops her from functioning.
the sacks of mouldering garbage in the living room, do not engender a nicer response to morning sickness
Open your heart a bit. Taking her to the Sheriff does sound a little mean. How would you feel if someone did that to your daughter? You might win, but its bad karma you are generating; it won't earn you much respect.

You signed up to be a slumlord and thems the breaks. As you know, its the detritus of society that rents. What do you expect?

I rent, therefore I am detritus
I own the building I rent in, therefore I am slumlord
the families we rent to are detritus,
Doctor detritus;
Constable detritus
Teacher detritus

I don't know how many of your tenants are bad, it isn't standard for us, or ladylove would not think it worth mentioning

Last edited:

+1 LOL DT :D

Anyhow grand dad have you read all of what kathryn d wrote?

Ie:in 8 months,these tenants had been in 4 rentals.kathryn d contacted 1 of the previous LL's and they trashed that place as well.

So the woman is 7 1/2 preggars,she does have a partner.

Why couldn't the partner help out his missus and clean the joint up rather than living like pigs. :rolleyes:

Geesh.

Cheers Spades.

Ps.kathryn d you have a strong stomach,lucky you have AlmostBob that can kick in doors without boots :D

Thanks Spades.

Actually she just found out she is pregnant in July.

The property was still standing today when we went out to check on it.
The RCMP called us with an update. They spoke with the tenant, and of course he denies it.
They have taken the For Rent sign for finger printing, but they don't expect any luck. If they can get prints, it will prove he was inside, as I just put the sign up hours earlier.

Tenant also called me today stating "You have more to lose than I do" and then hung up.

Hi kathryn d,

My bad,where did i get 7 1/2 months pregnant from :rolleyes:

Btw can you record his phone calls?Maybe bait him in another way into admitting he trashed the joint?

Anyhow good luck with it all.

Cheers Spades.

Hi Kathryn

How horrible, hope the clean up is going smoothly. Feel sorry for their unborn child.
Some people are just naturally filthy. Lived in a small town years ago, neighbor invited me in for a cup of tea, I nearly gagged from the smell and filth. Had been wondering what the weird smell (very hard to describe it) that sometimes wafted into my unit was for months. She got evicted a few weeks later. I really honestly think she had no idea that her living conditions were appalling. Its no excuse of course. (I declined the tea). Cheers, nat

Thanks

We haven't had any further phone calls from the outgoing tenant.

We did find a new tenant, and they move in on the weekend.
I no longer expect any of them to be any better than the tenant before them.

It's sad, when you take possession of a property, in the condition this was in and say..."Not too bad..could have been a lot worse"..when really we shouldnt have to do anything.

Katherine, I do admire how you and Bob handle your "often problematic" tenants. I take my hat off to you. But I also wonder what your long term plan is? I am a little older than you at 54 and ponder on what we will do long term and I wonder what your plans are?

Will you continue to live between two countries and have your supers look after your rentals long term, or will you one day sell up and put your money into something less "hands on"?

My parents relied more and more on us (hubby and me and my brother) to do the "hands on" repairs etc, and paid tradies of course for what we couldn't do. Now they are both gone, we look after things anyway. I know our kids would step up to handle things for us but our properties are small in number and in good condition (because we keep them that way) and our tenants generally are good.

Will you keep your large number of places that attract a less attractive quality of tenant, or do you see yourselves one day selling up and putting the money into something else, either a couple of better quality properties that have less problem tenant issues, or perhaps into some other asset class?

Katherine, I do admire how you and Bob handle your "often problematic" tenants. I take my hat off to you. But I also wonder what your long term plan is? I am a little older than you at 54 and ponder on what we will do long term and I wonder what your plans are?

Will you continue to live between two countries and have your supers look after your rentals long term, or will you one day sell up and put your money into something less "hands on"?

My parents relied more and more on us (hubby and me and my brother) to do the "hands on" repairs etc, and paid tradies of course for what we couldn't do. Now they are both gone, we look after things anyway. I know our kids would step up to handle things for us but our properties are small in number and in good condition (because we keep them that way) and our tenants generally are good.

Will you keep your large number of places that attract a less attractive quality of tenant, or do you see yourselves one day selling up and putting the money into something else, either a couple of better quality properties that have less problem tenant issues, or perhaps into some other asset class?

Hello Wylie,
Actually we are the same age..54.

We take each year as it comes, in deciding whether to live between 2 countries.At the moment we enjoy it.In the future, we may travel to other countries and keep Canada as our base.

We have no intention of selling up, though in 30 years we may change our mind.
I have a hard time trying to convey to SS'ers that we are the norm here.All of the landlords are having the same grief we are. This month 1/3 of our tenants are late in paying their rent....which is normal.
Tenants are so used to breaking leases, they think nothing of it, because many of the landlords won't hold them liable.We are the exception..we do.

Tenants here are tenants for a reason. They cannot afford a house of their own, because they have ruined their credit.
If they are on welfare, they are not permitted to own one. It is not permitted. Disability may be the exception, I'm not sure.

The only time you need to be a tenant is when you are first starting out, and the elderly, who no longer want to deal with maintenance and upkeep.

We keep our properties in good condition too.This year we have put new roofs on 7 properties. Installed a dozen new windows. Installed 4 new oil tanks. Put in 3 new sets of fridges and stoves.

We kept a handyman busy for 3 months straight...this is his final week.
He repainted and repaired,hauled garbage, built new patio decks etc

Forgot to mention, that our plumbers had to replace the plumbing in 3 properties this winter, when the tenants froze and burst the water pipes. Also one boiler needed to be replaced, because it was froze solid and burst...tenants went away for a few days and left the heat off in -35 cel.

We always call in our plumbers and electricians when it is required.
so, even though we do have some hassles, an income of $300k per year, does make it worth it. :)

Back