We need a forum for investment opportunities

This forum is jumping with opportunities. The Wife has her stash of cash. Go Wife! Brokers have good finance options. Syndicates are forming. Buyers advocates are offering their services. Renovators have their workshops. Property developers can put together a group deal for you.

But spamming is out. Not good netiquette. But one of the opportunities this forum can offer is somewhere for us property investors to come together, strut our stuff and build more creative, bigger deals than we could ever form alone.

I for one would love to have a section dedicated to "opportunities". And in this area people would be free to advertise their services or opportunities without it being considered spamming.

What does everyone think?

GoAnna !

"Go out on a limb. That's where all the fruit is" Mark Twain

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

As a newbie I think that would be of great benefit to give us connections.

>"go out on a limb, that's where the fruit is" . What a great blueprint for life.

Wadih.

Reply: 2

Hi GoAnna!

I can certainly see many benefits, although I would be wary of the door being indeed opened to blatant spamming. Maybe a periodical post with a "code of conduct" would be appropriate for such an "opportunities" forum.

The interesting phenomenon I noticed is the creation of networks of investors through this forum. I attended Geoff Doidge's free seminar on Sunday, and it was enlightening to see how many participants were forum contributors. At the coffee break (or Shared Information break as Geoff calls it) and after the seminar, contact details were being exchanged left right and centre!

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire
(aka Jacques)

Reply: 1.1

Fantastic idea GOANNA.....We definitely need this.

Regards,

Glenn.

Reply: 2.1

I agree that many good networks have opened up as a result of this forum.

A forum dedicated to opportunities will quickly be swamped with noise. There will be no way for a beginner to tell the good from the good-looking. Regular "rules updates" won't help with this.

I like the fact that we get to know each other here and take things off-line.

I find asking the right question often creates a solution. How can we let members of this forum know that other members have commercial opportunities, without turning this forum into a free for all?

Dreamspinner
PS I suspect as this forum grows it will become less useful to newcommers. There are 88 new posts since I logged in on Saturday.

Reply: 2.1.1

I think that this is a great idea and agree that some sought of 'code of conduct' is needed.

Good luck

Reply: 2.1.2

GoAnna, I think it's a great idea.

This forum is the best Investment Property Forum in the country. I have
benefited from it tremendously since first discovering it 3 months ago.
If this isn't the place to let fellow property investors know about
opportunities, what is? I'd hate to feel as though I had to leave and
look to other sources of info/opportunities just because there was no
room/interest in this idea. I see GoAnna's suggestion as definitely
'adding value' for members of this forum. Though some would disagree, I
feel it wouldn't hurt to debate the topic either.

Paul, you make some good points. True, certain codes of conduct should
apply and be enforced. The first one being disallowing anonymity in
posting in this area. However, the potential benefits from such a forum
would outweigh the downsides. As you say, you often find a solution by
asking questions. The same could be done as a result of enquiring about
a post made in the 'opportunities' forum. I think people generally
appreciate being made aware of an opportunity, even if it turns out to
be only a 'perceived opportunity' after some enquiries are made.

Personally speaking, I would love to read about opportunities that
relate to my IP strategy. Of course I'd research them thoroughly and
base my decision on the facts I find...whether they were posted by a
respected 'oldie' on this forum or an unknown, new user.

Many members of this forum are experienced investors and many have quite
an intimate knowledge of their particular niche or geographic area. I
think a simple "here guys, this is what's here...these are the
facts..check it out further" would be looked upon favourably by most
forum users. Information availability has never been a bad thing. At
the end of the day, we all need to do our homework, get our own advice,
make up our own mind....no-one has to do anything. And, if anyone
doesn't think they would benefit from it, don't click onto it....

Just my opinion. Let hear what everyone else thinks...everyone's
opinions/thoughts matter.

Cheers,

Dave
:)

Reply: 2.1.2.1

Dave I think if it was kept in reason it could be benifical.

The problem would be that marketers from everywhere could swamp the whole thing.

I definitely could see a opportunity.

In the past I have sold my developments privately & quickly to homeowners or investors through a small marketing campaign.
The properties are new,
well priced and the numbers stack up.

I have never spammed on this site.

However I could quite easily advertise well priced, new properties in growth locations that have the numbers to stack up if the suggestion put forward by Go Anna eventuated.

No high pressure sales.
If it suits the investor it is available. Check it all out yourself first.

Sort of a Turn Key Property Investment Solution.

Gee Cee

Reply: 2.1.2.1.1

On the code of conduct idea, how about
some sort of format that specific
questions about the nature of the
opportunity must be answered by each
posting of an opportunity.

On another note, can someone tell me
how to make my posts wider? They
always turn out thin and long.

Cam

Reply: 2.1.2.1.1.1

geeeeezzzzzuuuusssss .. if i c a marketer on here im gunna wrap and flip. this is a very intelligent and intellectual forum. but if it was in an isolated section, as dave said, go there if u wish.

Reply: 2.1.2.1.1.2

Try typing without hitting enter at the end of each line. The software will wrap the line.

Just hit enter when you want to paragraph.

Dreamspinner
Oz Film Biz is at
http://www.healey.com.au/~paulz

Reply: 2.1.2.1.1.2.1

CJ
Mine are also long and thin. Are you
using a Mac as opposed to a PC. I don't
hit the return. It returns for me.
Donna

Reply: 3

I think there's a general agreement that an opportunities forum would be a good thing, and there's a strong argument that there's the threat that it would become a spammers paradise.

In view of several posts which have recently come into this forum in the last 24 hours, I think even if the opportunities was overflowing with spam, it would be useful. I've only been here a few weeks, but already spam is on the increase, mostly related to development opportunities.

At least the new forum would divert some of this sort of rubbish away from this forum, which is more for information and ideas. I'd hate to see any useful forum be filled with crap, but as always in any investment opportunity, the motto would still be 'Do your own research'.

It's sad that a good forum may eventually become a diversion for spammers, but I've seen this sort of thing happen before. The more successful a forum becomes, the bigger target it also becomes.

Blocking features (by IP address) would also be useful for eliminating spammers.

PeterT

Reply: 3.1

You cant prevent people connecting via ip address 'cause each time you dial your isp you are allocated another different address...generally. You can prevent a 'scope" of addresses from hitting a site but this will prevent other innocent parties connecting to the site.

Reply: 3.1.1

Broadband connections do have a static IP address. Blocking on username/email address is only moderately effective as it's very easy to create another.

Another option may be to have more people as moderators. I think moderating is way too much to ask of one person, but a group of people known to be responsible could be given privileges to be able to ban others and remove spam messages. I've seen this done very effectively on some IT related newsgroups.

PeterT.

Reply: 2.1.2.1.1.2.1.1

It's true then, I am handy capped using a
Macintosh. I cannot hide my deformity,
woe is me. I will never be able to post
again, the thought of people laughing at
my thin, long post's is too much to bare.

Good bye everyone, I am forced to hide in
the shadows, an onlooker forever.

Cam.

Reply: 3.1.1.1

So?? Is that it? A post that was generally agreed to be a good idea dies a sad and miserable death...

Is it because the advantages such a section would offer aren't valuable enough to overcome any of the potential problems identified? Or is it that most people feel as though they are aware of every IP opportunity already??

Biggest problem I could see is blatant spamming. Even so, this would be in a different section labelled 'opportunities' - not the main Property Investment Forum. And, even when it does appear in the 'Opportunities' section, there are enough wise and experienced members on this forum to help the newbies identify a possible scam.

A pet hate of mine? Seeing a good idea, that would benefit many people, turn into a forgotten 'brain fart' simply because it seemed just a little to hard to do at the time....it's so much easier to explain how to change the appearance of our posts instead.

Dissapointed.

Dave
:(

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1

G'day Dave,

It's not dead yet, mate - but it does appear to be not moving, doesn't it??

Your post has accentuated the fact that too many good ideas can quickly get lost, simply by leaving the front page. Thank Heaven for the "new" tag - otherwise I would not likely have re-read this.

Anyway, Ian Somers is the man who could make this work. If he agrees, maybe a fifth conference with a name that displays the fact that advertising is happening (which may/may not include spam) would be the go. How about "Trading Post" or "Advertisements/Opportunities". I think it is important that the reader going there knows that they will be reading advertisements, and that it is all "Buyer Beware" (or really, "Reader Beware").

Or should we simply call it "Caveat Emptor"? It's Latin, but generally a well-known phrase - and a reminder as they click !!!

I don't know if others already have, but I will email Ian Somers to see if he is agreeable to adding another conference.

Any other suggestions for a name are greatfully received - in anticipation of a "Yes" from Ian.

Regards,

Les

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1

Les,

You have my vote for "Caveat Emptor"! As there is bound to be spamming in such a forum conference, it quite appropriate!

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire
(aka Jacques)

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1.1

Couple of points -

One, create new web site linked to the current one - Yes!
Post it on very same forum even under different heading? Your are mad...
Think of Real Estate Agents putting their ads up on board...

Second - only way to make people think is to hit them with dollar cost (even that not always helps). Charge them a fee for posting an ad on the web. Good for us it will keep of the forum and good for Somers they will make a dollar out of it.

Regards
Serge G.

Back