We were feeling kinda stupid...

Not a question really, more of a story that some might find interesting and perhaps a little amusing. 12 months ago hubby & I settled on a 3x1 IP in Mandurah for $200K. We borrowed 100% plus costs making our total loan $212K. After a 3.5 mth settlement period in a booming market, the property was worth about $230K the day we settled much to our surprise. Well the market kept booming and it became apparent that we had bought very well. 6 weeks ago the bank valued the property at $350K, meaning we were sitting on around $138K CG in under 12 mths.

Now it had always been our plan to ride the boom with this property and sell to realise the CG 12-18mths down the track - spend a bit on lifestyle options and pay down the mortgage on our PPOR, then replace this IP by buying straight back into the market. Incidently, we also have another IP in Mandurah doing well but having bought later in the boom, the CG hasn't been as good (but we're still smiling). This one was/is to be a long term hold strategy so we were keeping a foot in the market. (Because I know some of you will want to know 6 mths ago we paid $335K + $23K costs = $358K. Bank recently valued at $380K but realistic market appraisal is $400K. It is a 4 yr old 4x2 in a good area close to schools, uni/tafe, shops, public transport etc).

Now back to IP#1...1 yr down the track we asked the tennant to vacate with a veiw to doing a quick cosmetic makeover to maximise our selling price then sell. This coincides with what appears to us to be a slight cooling in the market. Has the boom ended or not? We just don't know but with Mandurah's population expected to double over the next 10-15 years we still expect to see at least the historical average growth rate of 7-8% in the longer term - certainly no bust or fall in prices. Anyway, we go to look the property over and think to ourselves this really is a good property - solid, attractive (albiet rundown but nothing our quick reno won't fix), roomy, excellent location and generally has a good feel about it. Let's keep it after all! But we've just turfed a reliable tennant out. Hmmm a bit dumb perhaps but hey whoever said we can't change our mind?

Soooo...the new plan is to still do the cosmetic reno since the house is now empty and if we do decide to sell later the work will have been done so we'll have the option to sell with the tennant in place. With fresh paint, carpet and a new solar hot water system (the old one still works but I don't know how as it is a rusted out eyesore located in full view at the front of the house). Total budget $4.5K. PM has advised rent would be $200 per week once the work is done, up from $165, and with rents on the rise we may be able to review in 6 mths. This has convinced us even more not sell. If we sold to realise the CG, then bought back into the market as per our original plan we'd have to spend at least what we sold this property for (ie $355-370K + costs = approx. $390K for a measly rental return of $200 p/wk).

Thanks to the boom, with our PPOR and two IP's we are currently sitting on about $320K equity per recent bank vals which is conservative. Both our incomes are on the rise thanks to the labour shortage over here in WA so we are sitting pretty to buy another IP somewhere. However, with future property growth a bit uncertain we're not so keen to borrow 100% + costs and possibly have to carry negative equity for awhile (we prefer to maximise our tax deductability and keep any cash in our own mortgage offset account). To combat this we'll be taking our time and looking for something with easy value add potential. But for the next few weeks we'll be spending all of our spare time renovating IP#1 - I can't wait to see the transformation.

Comments and opinions welcome.

Flatout

What Y Man Said :D

Though Bernard SALT has supposedly said we only have 15 years to make a profit in property..then its all downhill (according to an article about him in the paper).

Hi all

Hi flat out, I would definitly keep the mandurah IP, I must have brought mine at the same time. you will not have trouble getting a tenant mine moved out wed, the new one moved in on the weekend. They had 20 + people looking at it and have put the rent up $15 p.w tp $190 - its what I call a 3 x 1 cubby house (cedar beach house - basic but clean and tidy) Love the Perth Boom.

As for what else to do with the equity, all I can say is mandurah needs more rentals.

Celeste

Hi Flatout

Good work! We picked up a brand new 2 storey townhouse a year ago when we went over to Perth to look at the Rockingham blocks we bought on the Anchorage over the internet as part of house/land packages.

We paid $295,000 for the townhouse and 6 months later the bank revalued at $375,000 and gave us $70,000 equity, next month we shall be able to go again so I thought we might try for $450,000 and see what happens! The initial rent was $225 per week but we got a new tenant a few weeks ago, older lady on a 12 month contract at $235 per week. She has planted flowers so hopefully will stay a while.

Also the Anchorage houses which will be finished over the next few weeks have increased by $170,000 each since we paid our initial deposits just over a year ago!

Good old WA it will have helped many of us on our paths!

Sparky

Hi flat out

Good move I would say in hanging on to the IP. We made this mistake once, sold one IP to access the CG's - thank goodness we did buy another straight away (in Perth) but we would of been better off to access the CG's in other ways and save on buying / selling costs. Live and learn!

Hi Flatout,

I'm confused as to why you're topic says that you're feeling stupid?!? Is it because you got rid of the tenants, or because you're not selling, or something else?? You've done great! With your budget of 4.5k in renos (which you can depreciate), you're getting about $2k more in rent a week - fantastic!! If you sell, you'll have to pay all the costs involved, if you keep it like you've decided to - you'll save those costs and can still access the gains without having to sell! You've done quite well - be proud!!

Cheers,
Jen

Dear Flatout,

1. While you have done well to date, I do not think that the immediate CG for these 2 houses would be as good in the near future as before unfortunately.

2. This is especially so once the RBA increases the interest rate for the third time in 2006, tomorrow and with the present resource boom starting to cool down following Peter Costello's comments last week.

3. What is the present percentage of investors' house ownership vis-a-vis owners-occupiers in Mandurah as a suburb?

4. This is despite I am still personally optmistic about the longer term growth prospects for the Perth Property market as well as for the Mandurah suburb, at this point in time.

5. For your further comments/discussion, please.

6. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Hi Flatout,

I'm confused as to why you're topic says that you're feeling stupid?!? Is it because you got rid of the tenants, or because you're not selling, or something else??

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Jen,

Just feeling a bit dumb about turfing out a good tennant, then deciding not to sell :eek: . However, having spent the last three days painting, prepping etc and seeing the transformation I'm now thinking it wasn't so dumb after all. Apart from generating more rent, I'm confident that when finished, we'll have added $20-30K value to the property. Now I'm tired but happy :)

Flatout

Hi all

Hi flat out, I would definitly keep the mandurah IP, I must have brought mine at the same time. you will not have trouble getting a tenant mine moved out wed, the new one moved in on the weekend. They had 20 + people looking at it and have put the rent up $15 p.w tp $190 - its what I call a 3 x 1 cubby house (cedar beach house - basic but clean and tidy) Love the Perth Boom.

As for what else to do with the equity, all I can say is mandurah needs more rentals.

Celeste

Hi Celeste,

Seems to be a bit around for rent at the moment but good properties are renting quickly. Our PM rang a couple of weeks ago to say the tenant in IP#2 wanted to break their lease but she already had another ready to move in. We only missed out on 1 days rent. The new tenant looks set to stay for awhile - he wants to build a brick letterbox! I'm starting to think we might even get $205-210 a week for IP#1 once the reno is finished. Its coming up a treat :D

Flatout

Hi flatout

Excellant, I just had an offer on a duplex pair accepted today, would you believe 2 3x1's for $230k each, with 2 month settlement on 1 and 3 months on the other, in a suburb where a normal 3 x 1 house is selling for 330k and is predicted to continue to have 2 digit increases. Excellent. Its one of the last affordable suburbs in Perth.

They are disgusting tho, lucky I am doing a full reno, I already had the 1st one landscaped in my head B4 the REA turned up to show me thru.

Sorry guys I go by 1/3 research 2/3 gut!! I told the REA I had a sign 1 hour
B4 I got there and that I was destined to buy them. When he rang me the first thing he said was "you must be feeling lucky, I did not think they would accept especially with the longish settlement times." they accept with no changes to my conditions.

So now, I cannot say I am bored any more, just started a 1 bed reno - should be on the market when the 1st duplex settles, so I will start on the inside on that one. second one settles 1 month later should be finished the insides on no.1 and can start the insides on 2 and at the same time landscape etc the outsides. then I have another 1 bed to do and I have just started a conveyancy course so I can do my own settlements. phew! now I write it all done, who's gonna cook Xmas lunch?

I feel tired now, think I go to bed. got to strip a bathroom tomorrow.

Celeste

Though Bernard SALT has supposedly said we only have 15 years to make a profit in property..then its all downhill (according to an article about him in the paper).

They expect the same in the US in a few years time, all due to demographic changes i.e. a decline in peak spending levels. Here, that occurs in 2020.

Cheers

Oscar

Back