We will have a property crash, but this isn’t it! (M. Yardney)

Right now we are seeing a massively increasing supply of properties for sale on the market.

Maybe in London.

In my area of Brisbane there is nothing for sale. Its going to be a real problem if I end up trying to help a family member buy a property because the market has completely dried up. And you can't buy what isnt there - although we will have a go at buying offmarket.

hello,

fantastic article,

i hope "new home sales & approvals" keeps up the decline,

doesnt say anything about volume of places for sale though vogue, maybe wrong link?

thanks
myla

hello,

fantastic article,

doesnt say anything about volume of places for sale though vogue, maybe wrong link?

thanks
myla
Yes - maybe the wrong link - it was about new builds.

I think it's common knowledge though that unsold existing homes (inventory) is up signficantly in Brisbane and across Australia. There is media about it, I've seen some APM figures, and I see it with my own eyes - for sale signs everywhere around my area of Brisbane (inner North / West).

hello,

fantastic article,

thanks
myla

No. That's the best way i can represent an increase in listings (via lower sale volumes). I've yet to find a source for volume of sales listings information other than personal observations/research on the number of listings on realestate.com/domain and a few articles i've read around the place.
For example, i was looking at properties in Ferny Hills and surrounding area of Brisbane 1 year ago. At the time there were maybe 3 pages of listings in the price range up to $450k and almost all of them were under contract. To view a property that hadn't sold you had to ring agents and ask them to notify you as soon as a property came on the market.
Now there are 9 pages in that price range. Many have URGENT SALE or REDUCED tags on them and not nearly as many under contract.
I have friends who are real estate agents in Brisbane who have seen a massive drop off in sales and i have seen research carried out by individuals who have much more time to do these things than me.

If you know of a reliable source online that i can use... please forward it to me!

hello,

i see nothing around my area in inner melbourne

just usual great prices

thanks
myla

Same here, just because there might be increase in desperate sellers in some areas doesn't mean it's across the board for the whole of Australia.

The emotional aspect of home ownership is one of the main reasons that so many people have been buying homes they can't afford.

The fact that everyone needs a roof over their heads, and have done for thousands of years, is the reason i'm confident that house prices will always revert to a level of affordability. After all, if the next generation can't buy your house, who will?

According to statistics from the RBA, 99.7% of people CAN afford their mortgage repayments at present, and this should improve further as interest rates fall. So what makes you think houses are not affordable? It seems most people are affording them just fine.

graph_17.gif

Population increase is plodding along at historical levels (less than the global rate of natural increase actually).

Rogue, sorry, but you really need to check the facts before you make these sort of comments. Australia's population is currently growing at RECORD levels of 1.6% which is HIGHER than the worldwide average growth rate of 1.2%.

The emotional aspect of home ownership is one of When rents get too high - history shows that young people ... co-inhabit together, rather than just coughing up ridiculous rents they can't afford

Good stuff. More wage earners co-habiting will increase the rent potential for that property.

Shadow.

Yes, there is a correct level of affordability for the average earning population, which would indicate a correct price range to keep houses within that realm of affordability.

As per RBA data above... houses are affordable for 99.7% of mortgage holders.

Assuming that those 1 million could afford those booming prices, but you would have a whole other generation of previously economically viable purchasers priced out, which might decrease that previous demand by a million people also..... or more. Every new entrant into the country that puts a demand on housing supply that is not catered for in building supply reduces the demand at the same time, because someone else might get priced out by higher prices.

Now you're just being silly. You are trying to tell me that when a person is priced out of their originally desired market, that their demand for accommodation just vanishes? They just say 'Oh well, I can't afford that house, I guess I better go live in a cave!'

Nonsense. Housing is essential. It's not like a Plasma TV. You can't just say... 'OK, I don't really need to live in a house'. Shelter is a basic necessity. The demand still exists. If they are priced out of their original market, then they will do one of the following:

1) Move further out, to a less desirable suburb.
2) Buy a smaller house or unit instead.
3) Make use of a shared equity arrangement or partner with another buyer.
4) Rent.
5) Leave the country.

Now, unless they choose option 5, then their demand on the Australian property market still exists. It doesn't just disappear. Everybody needs to live in a house.

A picasso painting is a piece of historical significance. Not a good comparison with something that is as essential to life as shelter.

Well now you've just contradicted yourself. You said above that houses were not essential. You said that a persons demand for housing can just go away if they are priced out. Do you now accept that houses are essential? In which case the demand is permanent.

Again, comparing a mass produced, non-essential and disposable item with shelter. It's just not a good example.. Sorry.

So what you are saying is that it is expected and acceptable for the price vs income ratio of everything else, from fine art to cheap technology, to change as time goes by, based on supply and demand.

But houses are different? Despite being essential, they should always magically revert to the price vs income trend from 30 years ago, regardless of supply and demand?

You need to think this through a bit better Rogue... isn't the ESSENTIAL item going to be the one MOST likely to be affected by supply and demand?

Rogue, I agree that house prices will crash sometime. But it won't just happen by magic. For house prices to really crash, we need one or more of the following triggers...

1) Population decline or stagnation (see Japan*). This is not likely in the short to medium term, but might happen in the future as the baby boomers start to die off.
2) Massive boost to supply (oversupply). This might happen as a result of overbuilding during the next boom.
3) Sharp increase in interest rates causing large numbers of forced sellers. Again, not likely in the short to medium term, as interest rates have peaked, and even the past 12 interest rate rises (plus bank rises on top) have not caused any large scale forced property sell-off.
4) Sharp rise in unemployment. Now this is probably your best chance for a crash, but I think it would require a very large spike in unemployment to cause any widespread forced property sell-off.

In short, we are not going to have a widespread crash in Australia until after the next boom.

We will certainly see a correction in Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne... probably similar to the correction in Sydney from 2003-2008, where prices have fallen 15% in real terms over 5 years.

I hope that's big enough for you?

Cheers,

Shadow.

*Note: I'm not saying population decline caused the property crash in Japan, but it has certainly contributed to the lack of house price growth since that crash.

Last edited:
According to statistics from the RBA, 99.7% of people CAN afford their mortgage repayments at present, and this should improve further as interest rates fall. So what makes you think houses are not affordable? It seems most people are affording them just fine.
Yes i guess that is why there is a housing affordability CRISIS and all.

Rogue, sorry, but you really need to check the facts before you make these sort of comments. Australia's population is currently growing at RECORD levels of 1.6% which is HIGHER than the worldwide average growth rate of 1.2%.
Shadow, sorry, but i was talking about the natural rate of increase. I am aware that our unusually high migration levels are causing a larger than average population increase. I've said that in previous posts.

Good stuff. More wage earners co-habiting will increase the rent potential for that property.
Um. No. Because of less demand on rental properties it will be more a renters market. Just like in London, where rents are dropping.

As per RBA data above... houses are affordable for 99.7% of mortgage holders.
Where are you even getting this figure from?

Now you're just being silly. You are trying to tell me that when a person is priced out of their originally desired market, that their demand for accommodation just vanishes? They just say 'Oh well, I can't afford that house, I guess I better go live in a cave!'
I'm not being silly Shadow. As i said above - the result can be many things: more people staying at home, more peope co-habiting, more emigration and more Govt efforts to release land an increase housing supply/restrict migration. In the Uk they have rent controlled council flats and lots of housing commission. One would think that demand for these would ensure continued appreciation of house prices.... but no... prices in the UK are falling....and RENTS are falling.

Nonsense. Housing is essential. It's not like a Plasma TV. You can't just say... 'OK, I don't really need to live in a house'. Shelter is a basic necessity. The demand still exists.
You just contradicted your previous post regarding comparing housing to DVD players and the Mona Lisa.

But houses are different? Despite being essential, they should always revert to the price vs income trend from 30 years ago, regardless of supply and demand?
They always have before, despite having similar levels of net migration previously we have always reverted back. I have no reason to believe it will be different this time. Migration and building figures can and will change year by year. Next year we might see a massive drop off in migration and an increase in building. You can't base your assumptions on continued price increases on something so variable.

When rents get too high - history shows that young people ... co-inhabit together, rather than just coughing up ridiculous rents they can't afford

Um. No. Because of less demand on rental properties it will be more a renters market. Just like in London, where rents are dropping.

Why would people be co-habiting if there was less demand. Surely the fact that people are forced to co-habit is a symptom of MORE demand.

By the way, Australia is not London, or the USA, or Spain.

Australia is Australia.

Why would people be co-habiting if there was less demand. Surely the fact that people are forced to co-habit is a symptom of MORE demand.
It's a symptom that prices are too high.

By the way, Australia is not London, or the USA, or Spain.
Australia is Australia.

That's what UK was saying before they were hit hard by the fallout from the US economy.

You complete failure to acknowledge our ties to the global economy is not a smart strategy. You have all your eggs tied in the basket of high migration saving us from being effected. You fail to acknowledge the continuing and increasing reports of bank losses (NAB/ANZ/SUNCORP), job losses that all preceded the turndown of the UK, USA and Spain markets.

Where are you even getting this figure from?

www.rba.gov.au

I'm not being silly Shadow. As i said above - the result can be many things: more people staying at home, more peope co-habiting, more emigration and more Govt efforts to release land an increase housing supply/restrict migration. In the Uk they have rent controlled council flats and lots of housing commission. One would think that demand for these would ensure continued appreciation of house prices.... but no... prices in the UK are falling....and RENTS are falling.

OK... well none of those things are happening in Australia. It's usually best to base your investment decisions on what is actually happening, not what may or may not happen sometime in the future. But if you want to sit around and wait for the Australian government to reduce immigration levels and introduce rent control, then who am I to argue. Go for it.

You just contradicted your previous post regarding comparing housing to DVD players and the Mona Lisa.

No Rogue. My post was designed to illustrate the fact that almost everything that can be bought and sold has its price set by supply and demand. Housing is no different.

They always have before, despite having similar levels of net migration previously we have always reverted back.

Who is 'we' and when did 'we' revert back? The house price vs income ratio in Australia has been trending steadily upwards for 40 years. It has never reverted back to the levels of 30 years ago.

I have no reason to believe it will be different this time.

Same here. Exactly. It is NO different this time to any other time in the past 40 years. The house price vs income ratio is not going back to the level of 30 years ago. It it did, then that WOULD be different.

Migration and building figures can and will change year by year. Next year we might see a massive drop off in migration and an increase in building. You can't base your assumptions on continued price increases on something so variable.

Again, the best information I have to go on is what IS actually happening now. Neither you nor I can accurately predict what will happen in the future. But right now, population growth is at record highs, rental vacancy rates are at record lows, interest rates are coming down. That does not sound like a recipe for a crash to me.

Shadow.

It's a symptom that prices are too high.

And why are rental prices too high? Answer, demand is high.

Anyway, you sidestepped my question below (in bold)...

When rents get too high - history shows that young people ... co-inhabit together, rather than just coughing up ridiculous rents they can't afford

That's what UK was saying before they were hit hard by the fallout from the US economy.

You complete failure to acknowledge our ties to the global economy is not a smart strategy. You have all your eggs tied in the basket of high migration saving us from being effected. You fail to acknowledge the continuing and increasing reports of bank losses (NAB/ANZ/SUNCORP), job losses that all preceded the turndown of the UK, USA and Spain markets.

When/where did I fail to acknowledge reports of bank losses and job losses?

I don't believe we have discussed those yet.

Shadow.

Where on this site exactly?

OK... well none of those things are happening in Australia. It's usually best to base your investment decisions on what is actually happening, not what may or may not happen sometime in the future. But if you want to sit around and wait for the Australian government to reduce immigration levels and introduce rent control, then who am I to argue. Go for it.
I prefer to base my investment decisions on what i think is going to happen in the future. If i invested in Perth in 2006 based on what was happening at the time (mining boom and all :)) I would have lost money by now. If i had been old enough and had enough money in 2000 i would have bought based on my beliefs about the FUTURE at the time......and i would have won out. I'll prefer to stick with my current strategy... thanks.

No Rogue. My post was designed to illustrate the fact that almost everything that can be bought and sold has its price set by supply and demand. Housing is no different.
Did the price of water go up during the drought? No. Has the cost of cars gone up/down in response to demand? No. Does the cost of a movie ticket to the Dark Knight go up because of high demand? (great movie by the way ;)). No.
But none-the-less i agree that some part of housing price is set by supply/demand. But many aspects of it's price is not.

Who is 'we' and when did 'we' revert back? The house price vs income ratio in Australia has been trending steadily upwards for 40 years. It has never reverted back to the levels of 30 years ago.
We is Australia. And i was talking migration levels, not house price vs income.

Same here. Exactly. It is NO different this time to any other time in the past 40 years. The house price vs income ratio is not going back to the level of 30 years ago. It it did, then that WOULD be different.
This would require a whole new argument on what's happened in the last 30-40 years that could quite possibly see a radical reversal. I do not have the energy to get into that subject.

Again, the best information I have to go on is what IS actually happening now. Neither you nor I can accurately predict what will happen in the future. But right now, population growth is at record highs, rental vacancy rates are at record lows, interest rates are coming down. That does not sound like a recipe for a crash to me.
Rental vacancy rates are climbing. Interest rates coming down? Not yet. And i think the banks will keep them raised long after RBA reduces them.

But I'm glad you agree that your guess is as good as mine.

Back