weatherboard

Hi renovators,
Looking at an old weatherboard place atm. Does weatherboard have fibro underneath it or is it layered to keep the weather out and that's it?
I like the old weatherboard but some of it will need replacing. Is that a good idea or not?

There isn't fibro underneath unless you've picked the one house ever built that has weatherboard over fibro.

If you're experienced than you'll know that the urge to replace everything must be fought and that you should try to salvage as much of the existing property as possible. That old and weathered look is what gives the property it's charm.

If you're experienced than you'll know that the urge to replace everything must be fought and that you should try to salvage as much of the existing property as possible.

Indeed, resist the urge otherwise you pay three times: first to buy, second to demolish, and third time to renew.

In my experience, the most successful renovators (i.e., make good money) are those that can work with what they have. :)

Totally agree and this place is very charming to me. There are heaps of gaps though
How do I keep out the rain and wind? Can I line it with gyprock?

Totally agree and this place is very charming to me. There are heaps of gaps though
How do I keep out the rain and wind? Can I line it with gyprock?

Where are the gaps? Under each board where it meets the board below? If so, those gaps can be filled to stop cold air and rain getting in. Rain would only get in on a very rainy and windy day. Most times it would not be a problem at all.

True Vaughan. A google search wouldn't hurt me either. Just asking a few preliminaries before I start paying through the nose for the professional advice which costs 2 or 3 times more out here in the sticks.

Back