Weddings today

we did our whole wedding for less than $15,000, everything covered. We had 130 guests at ceremony (we had scones and tea/coffee/soft drinks in a park) then we had 100 to the reception. I thought it was great, we only heard positive feedback (not sure if that is all you ever hear though).

We don't drink, many of our friends don't, and there was no way we were paying for our friends to get drunk. It was at a 'expensive' location (relative to the area - newcastle), that started at $120 per head, including drinks. We got it "without drinks" for $80 a head, but we had to pay an extra $20/head to get table service, soft drinks and I think it was 2 bottles of champers per table for toasts. Spirits were not an option, but other alcohol could be purchased.

So all up it was $100 per heard, so $10,000 was the reception. $1500 on the dress, about $500 on bridesmades dresses, $500 on grooms suits, plus flowers, invites, chair hire/setup and other bits and pieces. DJ was my uncle, who did it for free, so I guess we saved $500 there, but I would just just got my mates to bring in my amp/speakers if he couldnt do it and run our own music. We spent $800 on a horse and carriage for the bride to arrive in, and her and I left in (just for show) after we got around the corner, the 2 groomsmen had their own cars there to transport

It blows my mind when I hear people at work telling me their daughters wedding is costing $30,000 for 50 guests.

Coming up to our second anniversary next week.

We had a smaller wedding, just over 60 guests and had our ceremony and reception at the same place.

We spent about $12k total on the wedding.

• Venue - $6k (3 course sit down, nibbles and wine/beer)
  • Dress - $2k (blew my budget, worth it haha)
  • Invites/place cards - $100ish (made ourselves)
  • Cake - Free (Mother in law)
  • Favours - $30 ($20 for a huge bag of heart chocolates, plus bags)
  • Shoes - $200 (3 pairs)
  • Hair/Makeup - $1k (includes extensions and bridesmaids)
  • Photographer - $300 (friend of mine, we paid for flights Syd-Melb)
  • Flowers - $100 (Ebay)
  • Bridesmaid dresses - $200 (two dresses, bought the funky adjustable ones from Canada)
  • Suit hire - $200
  • Celebrant - $750 (expensive, but he was awesome)
  • Dj - $500 (not worth it)
  • Rings - $1,600
  • Limo - $500

If you get your invites made by someone, cake done professionally, better photographer, real flowers etc. You could easily add an additional $5k from the prices we were quoted.

We spent far more than we should have, but that's considered cheap!!

In the end all the stress and c*** was worth it :)

Last year we were lucky enough to be invited to two weddings, both overseas, one in bali and one in fiji. I have 3 kids, and it didnt feel right leaving them behind. It was really expensive all told, and while everyone says not to complain about taking a 'holiday', it wasnt the holdiay we would have chosen (expecailly the tourist trap that is fiji) or the time we would have chosen. Meant I didnt have any holidays for christmas or other times during the year when the kids had time off, and they missed a fair bit of school. really annoying, dont have an overseas wedding.

Anything that you have word "wedding" in front of it will cost double or more the actual cost.

if you are looking for sort of "intimate" wedding.. source decoration stuff your self form ebay and likes.

We ended up doing flower arrangements DIY for friends wedding reception and it was so much fun and saved $$$$.

EEEEXACTLY!

How much to come to my birthday party and take photos?
That'll be $400 sir
And what if I change "birthday" to "wedding"
That'll be $800 sir.

as for food, I would go up to them, not tell them its a wedding, and say, show me your set menu including prices, or simply choose 2 entres, 2 mains, 2 deserts for the food, and have a tab, that way the non drinkers dont have to order a drinks package

What's spinning me out is people saying 'Oh, we had a small wedding, only about 60 people'. What what! I don't even know 60 people.

If I was gonna get married, I'd be all 'Let's fly to Vegas and get married by Elvis. Easy. Bring my bro and she could bring one of her mates. Done and done.

Now If you'll excuse me, I'm going to lie down for a while. The thought of getting married is making me feel sick.

What's spinning me out is people saying 'Oh, we had a small wedding, only about 60 people'. What what! I don't even know 60 people.

If I was gonna get married, I'd be all 'Let's fly to Vegas and get married by Elvis. Easy. Bring my bro and she could bring one of her mates. Done and done.

Now If you'll excuse me, I'm going to lie down for a while. The thought of getting married is making me feel sick.

Haha yeah, thats what everyone says when they are single. Things change when a woman comes on the scene. :cool:

Our wedding cost less than a grand, it was us getting married, we didn't do it for friends or family.
If they want some sort of tacky spectacle at 4x the normal cost they can organise one themselves.

Haha yeah, thats what everyone says when they are single. Things change when a woman comes on the scene. :cool:

Bro! I knew from when I was very young (about 11/12 years old) that I didn't want to get married. Many years and several GF's later, that resolve is just as strong today as it was back then.

We got married at Mt Lofty House in the Adelaide hills 5 years ago. It was a small wedding for close family and friends - just under 40 people. It was a Friday, so some things were cheaper (2nd Jan so no one was at work anyway).

We calculated how much people were likely to drink and went with a bar tab rather than a package.

Our guests had an hour or two relaxing on the lawn with champagne and food platters whilst listening to our string quartet. We then had a fantastic 3 course meal prepared by an award winning chef.

Our reception came in about $5k All up wedding came to about $10k and it was beautiful.

THere arent many times in your life when you gather all your loved ones together - spend what you need to.

Weddings are expensive
Videos and photos $10000 - $15000
Wedding Day reception $30000 - $50000k - this is for 400 - 700 people of course

My daughter got married 3 yrs ago in perth. reception was at mulberry on swan, however they wanted to charge $400 to get married on the banks of the river and charge us $6.50 per person to cut "our cake" on put on a plate for guests. So we found a beautiful setting wood lakes in Ellenbrook to get married, could even bring our own beer, cost $20 insurance, we then cut the wedding cake there. We all went a to mulberry on swan for reception, put money on the bar rather than a package and had two courses, choice of two soups and two main courses. We had chocolate hearts on table for desert. The next day we had a BBQ and everyone ate the wedding cake. Worked out brilliantly. We made the decorations ourselves. Table settings we bought big vases that looked like big wine glasses and filled them with pebbles, flowers and lights, made all invites which is so easy with your own printer and some imagination. They still paid for a good photographer and lovely classic limo for the day. Think cost all up was around $12000. I agree don't mention the name wedding!

We eloped. Spend somewhere around $1000, which bought my dress, plus the photographer and celebrant. Six people total at the wedding - the two of us, our closest friends (married couple) plus the photographer and celebrant. Photographer said it was the best wedding she'd ever been to (mind you she probably says that to every couple). Went out to dinner at a swanky restaurant in town (we were staying just out of Margaret River, south of Perth) and generally had an absolutely wonderful time.

You just need to be strong and say no.. avoid the marriage bullet and you will have an awesome life.

06b8tumblr_mz0akeIY391r3jsrko1_500.jpg

Our wedding cost about 15k for 130 people. My parents contributed to a big portion of the costs as they really wanted the big wog wedding. It's lucky that my husband's family live overseas otherwise that would have increased the guest list by quite a bit.

No way would I pay that personally. I would have just eloped in Vegas or New York :p

I've been married 20 years this March.

Honeymooned in Perth/Freemantle/Rottnest Island, went back for the 10 year Anniversary and going back there again this year for the 20 year Anniversary.

My wife and I are of the same opinion - Weddings are a waste of money and over-rated in terms of the cost versus the event.

But, that's not how the world sees it, and the industry is enormous based on that emotional suck-in.

Our wedding was paid for by her and I (mostly I), so we had total control over who and who didn't come etc - didn't invite any distant rellos you never see and so on (if they have an issue with it; too bad) we had about 30 guests from memory. Married by Marriage Celebrant at Wattle Park Chalet, with reception after.

Total cost was about $6k from memory, and it was a terrific day, great memories.

Wife spent $500 on the dress...very simple, elegant and she looked gorgeous. Never been worn since, still in mothballs in a box.

I've been to a wedding of 11 people in total at Queenscliff Hotel, reception was at one large rectangle table. Had a great day; it was a great wedding. Very low key and low cost.

I've also been to the full-on "Blancmange" wedding with the disgusting dress and over the top everything with a zillion guests which cost a bomb-and-a-half for someone.

The day was no better - and sometimes worse - than the budget versions. Why do they always play "The Chicken Dance" and "Running Bear" at these bloody things? :confused::eek::rolleyes:

So, my advice is this - don't get too carried away with a wedding. No one cares really; except the bride and groom, and given 50% of marriages end in divorce; do yourselves a financial favour.

The Hollywood celebs do those - but they can truly afford the kitch and schmaltz. Most of their weddings are ridiculous.

But for the average duck; it's not financially sensible to try and mimic and A-lister, and not necessary in any shape or form.

Better off to invite a few important people, keep the cost right down, down, down, and put some money towards a nice honeymoon and/or towards a property deposit.

One of my guilty pleasures is to occasionally watch Rich Bride, Poor Bride on Hulu. They follow around one couple each episode as they plan their wedding with a wedding planner and the budget gets revealed at the end.

I felt very sorry for one woman who saved for 15 years and spent 120k on the event. She said she wanted it to be "the wedding of the century". I was gobsmacked - just think of what else you could do with that. I hope she didn't regret it after the fact :eek:

Talk about over the top wedding....we went to one of these in Malaysia, it was then one of my husband's clients when he was in business. Have no idea whatsoever why we even got invited, however wont look a gift horse in the mouth.

They flew us over from Perth to KL, paid for the accommodation/air fares and I think there was perhaps 500+ guests, fireworks, and about 12 course meal (traditional Chinese), waiters running around all night long.

The bride arrived in traditional Chinese wedding dress and then changed to Western wedding dress. The bride gave her future husband $60,000 rolex watch as a momentum of the occasion:eek: One of their guest speakers was Jimmy Choo, only found out who he was when shopping, got to be joking not paying $5000 for a bag.

All the guests from Australia sat at the front, close to the bridal party, while the close relatives/family further back, we had the best seats in the house. That does not seem right;) did not complain.

OK, will admit that throwing this type of money made a difference. Sorry daughter number 1, you wont be getting this:D

However, what spoilt the evening was I had my bag stolen, when I went out to view the fireworks, I left it at the table, we never got it back, no money in it, nonetheless it did spoil the evening a little.

Cheers
MTR

Back