Weekly budgets

We spend $350 per week and throw out food, but we have 2 children that are eating adult serves.

Actually the eldest often eats an early dinner as well as a late one, and that's on top of his 2 sandwiches at lunch and snack after school.

I don't know how old your child is but that's an expensive grocery bill, and one I think could easily be cut by $100 per week (over 5K per year).

The things I've found we spend too much on are power and water. We have far too many appliances on the go and too many long showers :mad:.

Great spreadsheet WW ;)

Tip 2: Once the groceries are reeled in, PAY YOURSELF FIRST! To do this, we worked out a comfortable weekly allowance (for everything else inc. bills), put it in a jar & when it runs out, too bad! Unless it is a medical expense...

It is amazing how much you can save when you decide to "give yourself a pay cut" and live within your new means ;)

I sent a longish PM but our basic theme for keeping costs down is just making food from scratch.

We don't buy flavoured or pre-diced meat, pre-packaged sauces etc etc, we make everything ourselves. Other half makes great schnitzels from scratch, I do a mean cheese sauce for mornay and stuff, and we make our own spice mixes and sauces for stirfrys too. Ditto salad dressings. Cuts out a lot of cost, not buying pre-mixed Stuff, but it does take time. Tastes nice though - we have pretty consistently really really yummy food in our house!

We also bake cakes and biscuits a lot, so don't buy a lot of junk food, although that is more because I have an allergy to junk than to save money. Its DIY junk food! Today I made sultana syrup cake as per the current Sunbeam sultana packet, except with liqueur tokay from one of our local wineries not white wine ... and it was DELICIOUS :)

A FREE tool to assist with budgeting is www.moneymanager.com. Especially if you use a debit or credit card - it'll automatically populate and categorise transactions. That'll show you your history.

Then you can allocate a budget amount to each category and track your actual to budget.

Good stuff ! I was inspired to read everyone's posts after spending the arvo with two of my friends who told me how they have to eat out every week and me saying the last time we ate out as a family - fine dine, I mean (5 of us) was in January.

We spend $250 a week in groceries but we have three teenagers living at home, so it's a proper wholesome dinner for all of us, at least 6 days a week and sandwiches over 5 days. I think you need to be astute about purchases as well. I check the catalogues and accordingly plan what I'll cook the following week depending on the specials.

WW - staying away from the shops is key.

schnitzels and half the marinated meats at the supermarket aren't that tasty for starters, at least at the butcher's they can be better. The schnitzels I get lazy with, but how hard is it to repeat a marinade I know and like (and why can I get away with the same style flavouring using only 5 ingredients and the premade ones have a business card sized alphanumeric ingredient list ?)

All we know is that we are at the supermarket every other day and easily spend $100 on only a couple of bags of groceries.
Perhaps, try visiting the supermarket once per week instead of numerous times. Every time you're in there, you might just find something else that you 'have to have'.

Regards
Marty

schnitzels and half the marinated meats at the supermarket aren't that tasty for starters, at least at the butcher's they can be better. The schnitzels I get lazy with, but how hard is it to repeat a marinade I know and like (and why can I get away with the same style flavouring using only 5 ingredients and the premade ones have a business card sized alphanumeric ingredient list ?)

Jaycee..... would you care to share your marinade? It sounds yummy, and better still, it sounds easy.

(and why can I get away with the same style flavouring using only 5 ingredients and the premade ones have a business card sized alphanumeric ingredient list ?)
Its even worse for cakes and packet cake mixes, especially White Wings have a phenomenal list of additives. And one of those numbers (one of the very common ones, too) I'm allergic to so its a great incentive to cook at home :)

Oh I agree white wings is disgusting and taste lousy.
I have given up buying meat from the supermarket as I always get lousy meat that goes off really quickly. I feel sick throwing out so much.
Now i order from the farm who goes around to farmers markets and sells the stuff. Awesome quality, vacuum packed so there's no freezer burn and easy to store as I have a small freezer.

food seems to be biggest killer our budget, I would estimate 30-40% of total outgoings, maybe more.

We're not big eaters however but do eat out alot simply because we work alot and no time to cook and then cleanup, plus the human energy costs. When we do groceries and try to cook it just goes off as we run out time again.

I wish there's a cheap way to eat out? We thought about eating those diet meals on tv that get delivered if they were cheap enough LOL and we're not dieting at all

All great advice here, a few things I'd like to add:-

1 - a great website for newbie veggie gardeners like myself is this one:- http://www.gardenate.com/ Just set your climate zone and it tells you what to plant for each month. I have found it very useful. I'm still learning about growing veggies, and have only had small yields so far mainly due to a small patch and not spending enough time on it, but it's so satisfying eating what you have grown. We had a bumper crop of tomatoes, capsicums and spring onions from a small area and the taste was superb. Didn't do so well with cucumber, zuchini & squash type things - got mildew on them all.

2 - Starting a fresh budget is HARD, especially if you've never done one and you do it properly, the phsycological aspect of assigning your money to everything, and I mean everything, makes it look like you have very little left. Once you have stuck to it for a while though, it becomes invaluable.

Our budget is a simple excel spreadsheet. We do as other have said and never carry cash, it's so much easier to track your expenses and utilize your virtual canisters on the spreadsheet. We keep all our receipts, then fire up the spreadsheet and online banking statement and check off the receipts against the spreadsheet.

When I say budget everything, I do mean everything. We sat down a few years back and listed everything we pend money on, like house insurance, car reg, ambulance cover etc - all the anual bills as well as just the monthly living allowance stuff. We then split each bill by 12 and listed it on a spreadsheet. Each month, the pots for the annual things get their 1/12 share first, that way once your annual bills start rolling around you always have the money to cover. It's difficult for the first few months or so, especially if you normally pay your insurance monthly as we doubled up so that the next time it was due we could pay in a lump sum instead, saving the charges for splitting monthly. After 12 months it's great, you're running with your budget and you can adjust your figures accordingly to suit increases in annual bills.

Our budget excel sheet is a very simple list of dates down one column, next column has income, next outgoings and a running tall. We pre-populate income and fixed expenses (like the bills allowance, grocery budget etc) and the difference between income and whats left at the end of the month is allotted as savings. That way, the monthly tally always runs at zero, it makes it easier to stick to as if you punch in an expense that takes you over budget the monthly tally turns negative and you have to reduce your allotted savings for that month to cover It makes you think more about where you're money is going when you see your 'savings' reduce in real time each month.

The savings part is what is left between total income and the budgeted expenses so that the daily spreadsheet can run a monthly tally of zero, (or whatever float figure you want).

Em is paid monthly, I am paid fortnightly. We base in the income budget on me having only 2 pays per month, that way, twice a year I have a bonus fortnights pay that's 'un-allocated' and other goes in the holiday pot or get blown on something frivolous.

We also base our weekly budget on 5 weeks a month, most months are only 4 weeks so we have a float of one weeks allowance. We allow $340 per week, (only 2 of us), but we eat well, eat out and buy some grog on that. We're usually a little over budget each week, but the 5th week allowance on a 4 week month takes up the slack.

I'll try and attach our annual budget that gets tweaked every year, add your own figures and pre-populate a calender spreadsheet to track the actual expenses and see how you go.

Attachments

• PROPAGATE-BUDGET.JPG
    PROPAGATE-BUDGET.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 120
OK, so I've copied my spreadsheet, simplified it and cleared it. Feel free to use it for the basis of your own if you like.

The first page is your annual expenses, populate this with the budget you have come up with and your wages. The difference between your wages and budget becomes your savings.

The second sheet is the credit card log, fill this in as you use your card, check it against your online statement every few days and keep the running total up to date in the 'CREDIT CARD' box on the main Current account sheet.

Third sheet, Current Account, populate this with the expenses and wages you have filled in from the expenses sheet. You can put in your opening balance in the box highlighted. Pop your weekly allowances in against whatever day you allot for the start of your budget week, (we use Friday). If you are working on 5 week months then you'll have a float most months. Work it so that the IN & OUT are equal at the bottom of each month, that way you can track whether you are going over or under every time you update by looking at the yellow box at the end of each months list. If you have a separate savings account, 'pay' yourself the annual expenses into that so it goes out as a bill in effect, track your savings by allotting portions of your total via the savings spreadsheet.

If you want to carry a float ain your current account, put the float amount in the yellow box in column J, just above the start of the next month.

Last sheet is savings, this is where you can keep a tally of where you canisters are going for your annual bills.

We set ours up this was as we have a 100% offset account, my actual spreadsheet has a few more columns for referencing etc, but s generally as per this one. Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything and I'll see if I can hep. I'm not an excel expert, but the attached sheet, (or a variation of), has served us well for many years.

If anyone has an offset account, and would like a version of this spreadsheet that takes that into account rather than set up as a current account and separate savings, drop me a note and I'll fire through a copy. It's a bit more complicated to explain but anyone with basic excel skills should be able to work it out.

Attachments

• Finances 2010 - BLANK.zip
    30.4 KB · Views: 96
we live in regional sa - do you think the cost of groceries would be that much more expensive? My wife is always saying we are getting ripped off, especially with fruit and veg.

We noticed when we were in sydney last month, the fruit and veg was heaps cheaper.

So you think $400 per fortnight should be what we are aiming for? What sort of meals are you eating on that money? We have things like spag bol, apricot chicken, bbq steak and veg, chicken pie, lentil soup, rissoles and veg etc. We ueually have cold meat snadwiched for lunch and toast or cereal for breakfast. We dont spend on soft drinks or alcohol.

We spend about $400 month for 2 adults and an 18 yr old.+ 2 cats
If ithe meat doesn't have the 30-50 % off sticker, we don't usually buy it.
This last month we have eaten lots of pork loin, chops, or roasts.Chicken legs, breasts or thighs. Different flavours of sausage.
We use a lot of potatoes. Either boiled, baked, fried or mashed.
Fresh carrots, onions, mushrooms or whatever is on sale.
We buy bread at 99c loaf (reg $3.99) and freeze it too.
I usually take leftovers for my work lunch and a thermos of coffee.

I do agree, the price of food has gone crazy. I don't know how a regular family manages, if they don't buy reduced.

We spend about $1000 month to live.
We don't pay rent, or mortgage, or have a car loan.We buy second hand clothes. We are cheap !!!!.....umm I mean THRIFTY :)
I spent months tracking the different airlines to buy our tickets to Melbourne for Sept.
We buy anything we want...maybe not that day. We will search for a bargain or a great second hand item. We just bought a great industrial self propelled 1991 lawnmower for $150 but we couldn't keep it...we promised it to our supers :D (toro 6hp, Rob sitting in corner grunting)

Hi, I don't quite understand. To me, the costs of living that really went up are the non food items : petrol, electricity, water, rates, insurance ...

Food?
Queensland Blue : 59 cents / kg Butternut pumpkin : 99 cents / kg
Baby potatoes [a bit misshapen but easier to cook] $2 /5kg

Meat has gone up quite a bit, fish is expensive & staples like rice & possibly cereals have gone up quite a lot. Bread has increased a fair amount as has milk.

Eating out is expensive but if one has no time/choice, the cost can be lowered by buying takeaway & then just cook pasta or rice [how hard is it to wash rice & put it in the cooker?] or failing that, get some bread rolls.

A couple of new stalls in the market [Greek = great freezeable food] & 1 Italian stall sell food that probably cost me about the same amount to cook. The dumpling shop sells frozen dumplings @ $6/dozen [used to be $5.50]

I made my own until I found it cost me more cos I threw away so much.

The optimum family size to cook for is 4-6

But of course, the time spent is not accounted for. I reckon I'd make $500 if I spent the time on paid work.

There, my 2 cents worth has turned to be more than I thought.

KY

Jaycee..... would you care to share your marinade? It sounds yummy, and better still, it sounds easy.

Not my recipe, but here goes. My friend's mum got me hooked and I thnk this is sort of a standard recipe.

chicken breasts
flour & egg - beaten.
breadcrumbs/garlic/salt/parsley/parmesan cheese - combine together

For kebabs/souvlaki I do: garlic/salt/pepper/oregano/lemon juice & olive oil.

I find the following also helps

knowing how much each bill tends to be

and during which month each bill comes
knowing month by month Jan-Dec which bills tend to come each month and
how much each bill tends to be
how much per month in total tends to come in bills
this helps you to see which are the heavier months and which are the lighter months and to prepare for the heavier ones during the lighter ones.

Eg i know that i get so many bills, insurances and school books from july-feb
so i really only have between march april may june to try to get mortgage paid as much as possible before the other months that are much heavier come along.

I find this helpful.
others have mentioned dont go to shops as you alway spend more than you thought.
though sometimes seeing whats on special and only buying what you really need , sometimes in bulk can save alot.
just keep putting money aside for what you really want to invest in or do and take out the very bare minimun for living now.

then knowing what other costs there are per month and how much they are each month
then as others said write down all spend and see how to reduce or cut out each item.

Wylie (and Jaycee) if you are after extra fibre etc you could use LSA mix instead of the breadcrumbs. It's delicious especially with the parmesan.

back on topic: we spend about 200 perweek for effectively 4 adults. I have chooks though so don't pay for eggs( and we eat a lot of eggs). I bake for snacks and we make most meals from scratch ( I hate all the numbered ingredients)

If you like asian flavours my basic marinade is 2:2:1 of soy, honey and sweet chilli sauce then you can add ginger and garlic; or some plum jam; or some sherry and 5 spice powder. goes with any meat.
also if you buy cheaper meat and find it tough add some pureed pawpaw to the marinade and it will melt in your mouth. Needs to be in it for at least an hour but overnight is the best. If you use soy with it you won;t taste the pawpaw.

Good luck with getting your budget on track!

We think we may be spending too much on groceries - nearly $700 per fortnight for two adults and a four year old.

$700 per fortnight for two adults and a kid? We're only a 2-person household and we budget around $80 or less a week on groceries. Maybe with a kid, that would be $125 max... so thats's $250 a fortnight. Maybe try half of what you're spending and see how it goes.

Back