Weird behaviour

I had someone do some maintenance on two things at my home. They fixed one, and not the other. I called him about 2 mins after he left to inform him. He said not to worry, he would have it fixed another day (was the owner of the company). Total price was $230. The owner had his secretaries call me twice after that demanding payment. I said I would pay him when other item was fixed. Haven't heard from them for a couple of months. They rang me today and I missed the call on my mobile and home phone. After that they kept giving me prank phonecalls, would let home phone ring a couple of times and hang up. They wouldn't answer when I tried calling them. I eventually got onto them by using someone elses mobile. I'm a bit creeped out. Not sure whether to pay them for half of the job and tell them not to worry about other? Any advice??

Small job, about 15 mins for two jobs. ($230 total) He asked me if I was happy with first job, which was fixed correctly, he didn't ask me about 2nd job, which wasn't fixed. His mannerisms were creepy though, he was looking around house offering to quote on other jobs. ( + other stuff he did)

there's just something not quite right. I just had to ask him about 3 times not to come to my house right now. Bit forceful and creepy, bit scared his going to come around and fix and say, now you owe me $500 or something. Prank phonecalls arent' quite normal are they?

I'd be paying him for the job he did, then writing to him to detail all the behaviour (making it clear that you have documented everything) and advising he is to cease all contact you forthwith.
This behaviour is far from normal. Also, you should trust your instincts. If it doesn't "feel" right, then it's probably not.
Set a boundary. Now!

Thanks Rob, just remembered he was asking me what my husband does for a job and if he works weekends. Don't ever want to see him again. Creep

Hi L,

I also agree with the other suggestion of paying them half and finalising the relationship. Get your husband to pay them a visit to sort it out.

Hope it ends well. :)

It's all sorted, got husband to call, asked him to not come back and will pay him half by cheque. He had a thing about me paying him cash. :rolleyes:

Hmmm.....That is creepy. I'd be documenting everything just in case he escalates things and you need to take out an AVO. The whole thing where he was asking about the times your Husband is home is just not right.

You Girl + He weirdo = 'danger Will Robinson'
be vigilant for a few weeks months,
better to be a little paranoid and wrong, than not paranoid and wrong

i've got a sun-aged jarrah axe handle you can borrow...?

it's great - it's even got rusty nail heads poking out.

it's great for breaking watermelons...

Sheesh, the worst I've had is a handyman wax lyrical about the issues with his ex-wife while he was up a ladder fixing the windows and I was up a scaffold painting the ceiling.

Very vocal handyman, I've never heard so much swearing and cursing and complaining EVER. But he was happy to take direct credit in parts, as it took a while to get everything ordered.

When I was renting a unit in Bondi I had a problem with the letterbox not able to be locked as it was broken when I moved in. Because it was metal and part of the building it was apparently not able to be fixed by the handyman that the real estate agents sent around. I pointed out to him that it would be not terribly hard to replace the metal door but he insisted it was not possible and he would have to put another letterbox on top. So he went ahead and purchased a flimsy BigW special and screwed it on to the concrete with a couple of tiny screws. Anyway the letterbox stuck out like a sore thumb and looked out of place but I was happy just to have a letterbox as it took months to get it done with excuses about Strata etc having to approve it.

A few nights later I heard a loud noise outside the gate but I never thought too much about it as it was a busy street and there were often drunks coming home from the local bars walking past.

I went outside the next morning to find the letterbox gone. I guess some drunks came past and just knocked it down, it wouldn't have been hard! So I rang the agent and they said they will get a new one in as I told them the handyman had not secured it property and done a pretty bad job.

So the handyman comes around with a new box, an older Italian man starts swearing & accusing me of stealing it. I couldn't believe it and then told him what I thought of his pathetic job :p. I also told the agent not to send that nasty person around again and told them he threatened me which he did. I few weeks later I got a weird phone call and I'm sure it was him.:eek:

You Girl + He weirdo = 'danger Will Robinson'
be vigilant for a few weeks months,
better to be a little paranoid and wrong, than not paranoid and wrong

I'm always paranoid! One of my neighbours is a police officer and he's instructed his wife to never answer the door if he's not home so I do the same. When he was asking inappropriate questions I should have just answered, "I'd rather not answer that". Unknown to him, my husband was actually at home the whole time he was there. One of his first questions was if my husband was at work. I thought it was none of his business so I answered, "yes".

i've got a sun-aged jarrah axe handle you can borrow...?

it's great - it's even got rusty nail heads poking out.

it's great for breaking watermelons...

Thanks for the offer but I have a very loyal dog.

I can relate to your story monsoon. I was telling him how to do some things, and he only had enough equipment on him to fix one of my things so he started pulling other spare parts apart to fix the second job - no wonder it's still broken.

Back