Weird oven, or is it?

We recently purchased an IP. The oven is a gas oven, Eurolec brand. It seems Eurolec were placed in receivership a year or so ago, so I can't exactly get hold of anyone to assist with my question.

Anyway, the issue is that there are holes at the base of the oven, which doesn't seem right to me.

Here's what it looks like;

oven1.jpg
oven2.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on whether this is right?

I think my old gas oven (westinghouse) had holes like these. They are at the back of the oven right? Maybe they are just cut-outs to allow for different placement of the gas burners in different countries.

These holes are at the base of the oven. So there are holes internally, then holes underneath as well. They run down the sides (both sides) of the oven, along the bottom.

Not sure. It just seems weird to me. With all those holes, how does it keep the temperature right? Just hoping that someone has one of these same sorts of ovens, or has seen one like it.

We don't have the gas on, so I can't test it.

I am sure it is fine. Gas works differently to electric (without stating the obvious!) and as I now have an electric oven, I really notice the different structural features - the electric is much more like a 'box' wheras the gas oven did have all these holes! Not easy cleaning them - the foam gets in them and it is hard to wipe it out!

Your pic doesn't show the whole oven. Is there a regular type gas burner along the back?

If so it's probably just to circulate hot air(?), for more even cooking.

There's a burner at the base of the oven. It's covered by a cover thingy.

In the first photo you can see this cover, towards the left hand side of the photo, it's the raised area with the sort of dimple thing at the front of it. The burner is under that.

Burner creates hot air and holes on the sides allow hot air into cooking chamber.

If hot air wasn't allowed inside, we would have just "hot plate" and hot air would have to be allowed out some other way.

In sealed box, flame would go out eventually.

Back