We're building towards a home construction boom

This is one of the forecast you got it wrong Shadow, Australian construction is far from been in good shape as homes are expensive and building companies find hard to get money to build. You get data on this like from HIA or you can check the PCI index (Australian Performance of Construction Index®). aBout the boom coming I can see building industry having jobs from government spending in infrastructures that I believe will not last forever specially if the industry condition will improve over time.
EDIT: those extra loan money is pretty much from more expensive houses (buyers just need to squeeze out more money from banks)

after reading the article I think it's because it's for one off houses. Larger developments failing to get off the ground will temper over all funds lent - and it's the larger apartment blocks etc that really contribute significantly to dwelling supply

spot on mate - each house is an individual contract.

banks are lending against strata developments that are 100% pre-sold - so essentially ther'es only about 15% risk in fallovers.

still, even that can be hard - some banks want to see each purchaser's credit history too. imagine going to a client and saying

"hi - we can't fund our development without your credit history". :confused:

So... if we have less unit/townhouse development starts, we have demand for units/townhouses building.

This would put upward pressure on rents over time, I think.

Thoughts?

spot on VY. I think apartments and high density builidngs are a wise investment now as there will be little supply coming thru the pipeline.

Haven't posted for a while, but this thread has me interested.

Wouldn't it be logical to see a home construction boom after the events of the last 12months.

Huge cash incentives to FHB for new homes coupled with 50years historical low IR's and a large increase in lending to the mortgage sector by the banks.

So the next 6months will see this cause show its effects, large number of new constructions. The real question is what is going to sustain this growth.

FHB have been bought forward and pent up demand released with low IR's.

So I paint this picture.

Mr & Mrs A FHB's purchase a new home in outer suburbs for $350K on %5 IR's + $20k of govnuts handouts. They more than likely purchased on %90 LVR's.

They move into their home in first quarter of 2010 and as starting to get concerned that IR's up moving up quickly.

Sept 2010 arrives and IR's are at %8.5 (not to far from the historical average) an increase of 70% on their mortgage payments. Given that the single largest household liability is paying the mortgage, this starts to hurt and they consider selling. Remembering that most people tend to borrow as much as they can.

Mr & Mrs C being from the same demographics and Mr & Mrs A start looking for a home. The only difference is that they can no longer borrow as much as Mr & Mrs A.

So they look at the Mr & Mrs A property for $350K + $17K stamp duty and concluded a few things :
1) the FHB grant has been halved reducing borrowing capacity
2) they cannot borrow enough with IR's being %8.5
3) they have the borrowing capacity but decide why pay the stamp duty and have a second hand house when they too can purchase new. This assumes that developers had inflated prices during the FHBG being increased due to increase in demand. This has been documented before that the same house and land package is now less than it was 6 months ago.

So Mr and Mrs C can get enough credit and decide they will purchase new for $350K or are willing to purchase Mr & Mrs A property but for less than $350-$17K-depreciation(second hand) = $325.

Mr and Mrs A sell and are left will nothing after expenses as they were given some free money by the govnuts. They also have a funny taste in their mouths after the experience.

Or.

Mr & Mrs C cannot borrow as much because of reduced govnut gifts and higher IR's and cannot purchase new or existing at those prices. Demand is reduced at that price level.

Mr & Mrs A start to become desperate, they have to reduce their asking price, potential placing them in negative equity. The situation has turned sour for them.

This situation then works its way up the ladder with each level having less borrowing capacity with prices having to be reduced in order to meet the market.

Yes, I can see a construction boom lasting the first half of next year, 2010. Just when interest rates are starting to peak, what will feed demand after that I cannot see but there is the chance than many FHB on new homes find themselves in falling prices and rising IR's.

This is a simple story and does not take into account many other variables such as :
  • Government action in the way of added grants
  • Credit tightening further
  • Government Stimulus here and around the world
  • Unemployment
  • Inflation/Deflation
  • Immigration
  • The bankers lied and we face GFC V2 but now the increased level of debt is shared by private and the public purrse

2010 for all investment classes will be interesting and property will be no different.

I will be looking at purchasing later next year again when IR's have at least got to the historical average and above. The FHB market is the one I will be watching for the first signs of weakness.

Cheers

Mr & Mrs A will live in a rental or with their parents or friends. They may then wait until the govnuts provide free money again to try and get back onto the property ladder.

Cheers

I have noticed that we are now getting regular reporting in our newspapers here in the West of a looming housing shortage. They are not front page yet. Slowly we are being fed this info and eventually it will hit the big story spots and fear will set in, investors know this cycle well.
I do think we are going to get a housing shortage as the finance has been so hard to get for investors and developers alike. It has had to have an impact.
I see Display home companies offering some good deals.
In Rockingham its been reported that you can/ could buy established homes on good blocks for land value.
I think there will be good profits to be made in real estate in the next 12 months, but l believe one will have to be very confident and accurate in their DD
I believe we will see good rent increases and tenants lining up once again to get the lease.
I believe we will see a lot more house sharing than in the past 10 -15 years due to the high costs of services. ie power , water, transportation.
I think the days of excess may be starting to end. Its had a good run anyway.

the above its just my point of view and l thought l,d share.
cheers
yadreamin

Mr & Mrs A will live in a rental or with their parents or friends. They may then wait until the govnuts provide free money again to try and get back onto the property ladder.

Cheers

Or they could move in to one of my neighbouring houses as their is only 14 living there now in a 3 bed 2 bath.:eek:

This is one of the forecast you got it wrong Shadow, Australian construction is far from been in good shape as homes are expensive and building companies find hard to get money to build.

I have always said that I expect it to really kick off sometime around 2010-2011. We're not quite there yet, but the construction boom is definitely brewing...

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Article.as...truction%20boom

Rush of new builds points to housing construction boom

Author: Clancy Yeates
Date: December 10, 2009
Publication: Sydney Morning Herald (subscribe)

Demand for home loans has been surprisingly resilient despite rising interest rates, thanks to a boom in lending to people building new houses.

Lending for new construction has more than doubled from lows of August last year, prompting claims of a housing construction boom gathering pace by the month.

"Demand for housing has surged over the last year, reflecting the very favourable combination of historically low interest rates, government incentives, strong population growth and pent-up demand for housing stock," said a senior economist at Westpac, Andrew Hanlan.

Although demand is expected to fade as rates creep up, Mr Hanlan said the surge in loans for building new homes pointed to a looming housing construction boom.

spot on VY. I think apartments and high density builidngs are a wise investment now as there will be little supply coming thru the pipeline.

If the govt. will be concentrating on high density dwelling moving forward, wont that put pressure on prices downwards as new supply comes online? I would have thought large land holdings with a free standing house would be widely sought after as it seems that these kind of homes will be on the decline in the future.

Has anyone been to Barcelona, Paris, NY etc etc....these cities have been converted into high rise buildings as far out as 30-40ks...and I see Sydney moving in that direction over the next 20 years

If the govt. will be concentrating on high density dwelling moving forward, wont that put pressure on prices downwards as new supply comes online?

you are confusing govt desire with actual supply. with no bank funding to build high density then the govt can go whistle unless they want to enter the development business themselves

ausprop beat me to it .... there is an acknowledged undersupply, the government is handing out $$ (soon to end), borrowing is still easy-ish for employed home buyers - but - the banks are just not lending to the major developers. even developers that have 100% presales are having trouble finding funding to build - be it units or residential subdivisions.

until the funding bottleneck jam is resolved there will be very little new product come on the market, and very few new approvals for developers to build. a major developer is not going to spend millions on planning and approval on a project that he probably won't be able to build in the forseeable future.

when funding does come back online, you'll be looking at a delay of around 2-3 years before the major players are even ready to start the building process (planning and approval can and does take that long, or longer, for large projects). then the build itself will take another couple of years.

so, even if funding came available next month, we're still looking at 4-5 years before anything is ready to habitation - and that is only for those developers who are quick out of the starting blocks - peak build probably won't occur for another 6-7 years. in the meantime pressure is still mounting.

sure, us small developers are plugging away - but we are even finding financing very difficult and producing nowhere near enough to provide a stopgap.

pricing is another factor ... house prices haven't increased enough to produce much of a profit on developments. this is due to the underlying costs (government fees/charges, building costs, infrastructure costs etc) increasing but the sale price of the end product hasn't increased much in the last 4-5 years. there are always exceptions - such at "the royal" development at newcastle beach (due to low purchase price and sensational location - although i personally was very unimpressed with what one "got" for $1.3mil when i went for a look thru last week).

it will be quite a while before these underlying factors make it feasible for developers, and even then it will take a few years to get the wagon moving again.

absolutey - you start talking build-strata to any bank and your serviceability better be 200% - *IF* they'll lend for developing.

if the govt want to get things moving, they had better mandate more lending, remove the bank guarantee, or fund it themselves.

i'm not a fan of 1 or 3. imagine the a govt bank. it'd take them 6 months to pass on an IR rise and then it'd be retrospective, so you'd be up for a bill.

absolutey - you start talking build-strata to any bank and your serviceability better be 200% - *IF* they'll lend for developing.
Hi Aaron,
I saw one of my banks a couple of weeks ago and I thought i'd get finance easily. I had asked bank for $350k to build two 3x2x2's plus a single brick/tile carport for existing house. They did a few figures and told me they wouldn't say yes or no. They told me to come back when I have fixed price contracts. At that stage am I locked in with a builder with possibly no finance or is there usually a clause to get out in that circumstance? I guess your stuck with paying for design and council/planning fees. Bugger - just got engineers report and it came up that site has some clay. What would you expect it to cost for complete project? (I want houses to be built a couple of courses higher than minimum)
Ta, L

clay - urghhh! last year I spent $150k stripping back a 1000sqm block to get rid of clay. I would talk to BC about a house on stumps solution.

Hi Aaron,
I saw one of my banks a couple of weeks ago and I thought i'd get finance easily. I had asked bank for $350k to build two 3x2x2's plus a single brick/tile carport for existing house. They did a few figures and told me they wouldn't say yes or no. They told me to come back when I have fixed price contracts. At that stage am I locked in with a builder with possibly no finance or is there usually a clause to get out in that circumstance? I guess your stuck with paying for design and council/planning fees. Bugger - just got engineers report and it came up that site has some clay. What would you expect it to cost for complete project? (I want houses to be built a couple of courses higher than minimum)
Ta, L

a bit of clay or a lot of clay?

prices vary wildly, if it's just a bit a half metre down, a little fill will put you over it and not cost much.

if it's 100mm under the surface, then expect an S or M detail - add $15k per house min. you should see the reo they use in some of these footings....!

i can do some cheap 3x2s for about $155k turn key + site costs (usually around the 10-12k mark).

who's your builder? sounds to me like you can't get finance - end of contract.

Back