West Sydney

A lot of people living in the Parramatta area are now talking about and moving to St Clair. Won't consider any other suburb out there as none of them stack up in comparison in terms of house quality and peace and quiet.

I haved lived in St Clair for about 5 years, and 2 weeks ago I moved away from the suburb and have bought in Erskine Park instead.

Two main reasons for the change of address

1) The regular fireworks/crackers most nights set off by bored kids in the football field carpark opposite the shops was driving my dog (and many others) to insanity, police knew all about it but said they had more important things to do... its become a running joke in St Clair about the ongoing fireworks.

2) General feeling of St Clair going a bit downhill.. at night there is plenty of tyre squeal from cars and noticably more black rubber on roads each month, litter etc.

Not saying its a bad suburb, I liked living there (and I am an ex north shore snob lol), its going through a bit of a phase at the moment that made me want to move. Being so well priced for so many years, I get the feeling that certain types of people are buying in from surrounding suburbs and bringing their certain type of behaviour with them. There seems to be an increasing number of beat up old commodores on the streets etc. Hopefully the recent price spikes correct that as houses in the 300's become scarcer.

Erskine Park is a more expensive suburb, smaller, with generally better housing stock... but you pay a 40-50k premium compared to the equivalent house in St Clair. Though that gap is narrowing as St Clair is in a house buying frenzy these days.

Where I am now is in a tucked away culdesac with reserve at the rear and end of street, at night you can hear a pin drop, and best of all no fireworks :D

Will it be short lived or long term positive trend in Western Sydney, Your views ??

All this heightened interest in Western Sydney areas on the back of low interest rates etc. has led to dramatic increase in the RE transactions and as a result the prices going up-wards sharply.

BUT in your view, is it just a short term blip in the graph OR it will this trend stay for a while ???

What are your views ????

This is my worry... mortgage/wage ratio is getting higher but budget forecast for corporate tax is falling! That is not a good combination.

I haved lived in St Clair for about 5 years, and 2 weeks ago I moved away from the suburb and have bought in Erskine Park instead.

Two main reasons for the change of address

1) The regular fireworks/crackers most nights set off by bored kids in the football field carpark opposite the shops was driving my dog (and many others) to insanity, police knew all about it but said they had more important things to do... its become a running joke in St Clair about the ongoing fireworks.

Haha, I don't get that where I am. Quiet as a mouse most of the time. Every now & then there's a party or fireworks, but not often at all. But then, I'm not that close to the shopping centre.
2) General feeling of St Clair going a bit downhill.. at night there is plenty of tyre squeal from cars and noticably more black rubber on roads each month, litter etc.

I've noticed that there are a few teens/early 20 somethings around that are crazy drivers. I put that down to the kids of the original residents that still live at home. In a few years they will be long gone, I hope. BTW, it's still better than Letho.:p

Haha, I don't get that where I am. Quiet as a mouse most of the time. Every now & then there's a party or fireworks, but not often at all. But then, I'm not that close to the shopping centre.

Yeah I didnt get it at my first place which was over off Solander Drive, but in my newer place which was in the new area north of Explorers Way it was closer to the shops and I suffered through 2 years of a dog at level 10 fear hype every night due to fireworks.

I know other people in the area around Melville Road who have the same issue, and the neighbours at the place I just moved from had moved from Glenmore Park a couple of years ago and were looking at moving again due to the same issues with speeding drivers and fireworks affecting their dog.

Was reading API yesterday and a young couple in there bought a brand new house in Ropes Crossing on the advice of a mentoring group, particularly due to the potential capital growth in the suburb. Wonder if the newbies will come out of the woodwork now asking lots of questions on the back of this article.

My opinon, but OMG I dont think its a good idea to buy in Ropes Crossing. the houses look great. But its basically next to Tregear. I dont know how much they bought their properties for but I dont see much capital growth happening for them anytime soon

there are booms and booms, there are significant capital growth and there is signficant capital growth

well thats my opinion

I think west syd is actually a boom, but they say after a boom there is a bust

but I think there will be no bust,

in a year or two when yields become bad, and when it simply makes no financial sense to invest or even occupy, the market will flatten also if interest rates rise, and that price point will be the base the cycle works around,

and in hindsight I think eveyrone would be saying, remember those days when you could buy in sydney for $250k (even in the shabby areas), we should have bought 10 of them back then, type of situation

ps whats everyones opinion on Lots 3 & 4 Winsford Avenue HEBERSHAM

that sold for 800k, its 4750 sqm, with no plans,

thats 114k per lot assuming 7 lots of 600sqm

Last edited:
If it's not a boom, then what is it?
I purchased in Doonside 2010 $315K, bank value last week at $440,000 (40% gain), it has not been renovated, same condition when purchased, however I believe with a minor reno I could achieve much higher price.

MTR

ps whats everyones opinion on Lots 3 & 4 Winsford Avenue HEBERSHAM
that sold for 800k, its 4750 sqm,

I recall this property was first up for auction R&W at Rooty Hill. While everyone bid fiercely at damaged houses and HC properties, there was no bidders for above land. So finally some one purchased after 8 months!!

Last edited:
Granny Flats in Sydney West

Just want to get people's opinion on granny flats in sydney west.

We have facts that most popular suburbs for GF are sydney west. The expensive suburbs are less, because putting a GF in a $1m property may lower the valuation.

It seems alot of buyer's interested in a Sydney West are predominately investor with the view to put a GF in after purchase.
Have been speaking with property managers lately, and they all indicate rental is soften, and I had to discount quiet a bit to get it tenanted. 6 Months I do not need to.

One RE I spoke to said to me a buyer asked the question about a property: Is this property can build a Granny Flat
RE replied yes, and buyer bought the property without viewing it. It is bit insane, i know, but it's happening.

To put up a GF in Blacktown LGA the S94 is around $5k, which is still attractive compare to other Council. With the amended BLEP 2013 to withdrawn some R3 and R4 proposed zoning, I would think council approach to GF is still encouraged. I remember Brazen told Blacktown Council has 30 GF per month, and that was 9-12months ago!!!

Just wanted to get people's view on the GF situation in Sydney West.

If you build a 2br with its own yard and entrance then all good. If you build a 1br clad box on stilts, waste of time and money

Yes I agree. some GF looks like a freight cargo load on stumps. But even the $100K 2bed builds are growing so quickly that they're multiplying like rabbits.

Back