Western Red Cedar vs Exterior Paint

Hello

Doing a cosmetic reno and considering painting the front of a queenslander. It has this cladding made from western red cedar. Has anyone painted of the top of western red cedar? Is it problematic.... Will it keep soaking in the paint and need 5-6 coats? Only the front of the house has this cladding.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron

Attachments

• test0011.jpg
    test0011.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 476
  • test0012.jpg
    test0012.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Don't know about painting it, but it is a very nice wood. Might be a bit much work to sand and polish the whole front of the house though :D

Hello

Doing a cosmetic reno and considering painting the front of a queenslander. It has this cladding made from western red cedar. Has anyone painted of the top of western red cedar? Is it problematic.... Will it keep soaking in the paint and need 5-6 coats? Only the front of the house has this cladding.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron

Paint over western red cedar? Sacreligious!:eek:

I have spent the last 6 months on and off sanding and re-coating my Western Red Cedar doors and windows. I used "SIKKENS Supernatural" and it came up like new.

Yours however looks a little further gone than mine was but might still come up alright. You could buy a small tin and try a sample area. Otherwise you would really need to sand and seal the timber to paint over it with another paint. If its had an oil based product on before it might cause some problems.

Would probably be best to consult a decent paint shop or painter for advise.

Cheers

Back